Cloning windows 10 system disk

Author
DomA
New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
So first off, let me say I'm a PC noob as far as tech goes, but I get the basics.

I have a setup in Macrium for a variety of backups and one is a weekly bootable clone of the system disk.
The disk is in a front sata port, is on and ready for the scheduled backup.

Works great. Except, once in a while, on startup the BIOS tries to scan and repair the disk, which takes awhile.
If you stop it it corrupts/wipes the disk. It's done this consistently on two separate drives so it shouldn't be faulty hardware.

A noob guess is boot is seeing two boot disks with exact same fie structure and is getting confused?
Luckily its only hassling the backup clone, for now anyway. I can do this manually now and then but was hoping for a more automatic approach.
This isn't really even a direct macrium issue, but I thought I'd ask.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.
Dom

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)
Group: Administrators
DomA - 2 December 2017 7:07 PM
So first off, let me say I'm a PC noob as far as tech goes, but I get the basics.

I have a setup in Macrium for a variety of backups and one is a weekly bootable clone of the system disk.
The disk is in a front sata port, is on and ready for the scheduled backup.

Works great. Except, once in a while, on startup the BIOS tries to scan and repair the disk, which takes awhile.
If you stop it it corrupts/wipes the disk. It's done this consistently on two separate drives so it shouldn't be faulty hardware.

A noob guess is boot is seeing two boot disks with exact same fie structure and is getting confused?
Luckily its only hassling the backup clone, for now anyway. I can do this manually now and then but was hoping for a more automatic approach.
This isn't really even a direct macrium issue, but I thought I'd ask.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.
Dom

Thanks for posting.

Is Windows performing a startup repair on the clone drive or the system drive? 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

DomA
DomA
New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)
Thanks for reply.

It's always the cloned drive, thankfully.
It's pretty intermittent as well.

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)
Group: Administrators
DomA - 3 December 2017 4:10 PM
Thanks for reply.

It's always the cloned drive, thankfully.
It's pretty intermittent as well.

Thanks for getting back.

Has the eSATA  connected clone drive been physically disconnected at any time prior to the startup repair scan?  Windows treats eSATA the same as internal SATA and a physical disconnection can result in data loss.  To prevent this you can disable write caching on the eSATA drive. 

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/10392-write-caching-enable-disable.html

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

DomA
DomA
Interesting. I will check that out, thanks.

Yeah, I noobed it up and tried to have it on a front icyDock so I can swap etc.
So it had been removed prior to this repair attempt.
Maybe if this continues to be an issue after trying the write cache disable, I should prob install it in a true sata slot.

Will try this, thanks again.
Really liking Macrium btw.

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)
I haven't used eSATA in a while, but I remember that when I did, my eSATA drive showed up in the Safely Remove Hardware list.  If you find your clone target listed there and simply haven't been using that mechanism, you might find that safely removing it that way before physically disconnecting it is all that's needed to keep things running as expected.  However, if your icyDock just exposes eSATA ports that connect directly to the motherboard's internal SATA ports on its backend, then attached drives may not show up there.  I had an eSATA ExpressCard controller when I was using it, so that may have made a difference.

Edited 3 December 2017 5:18 PM by jphughan
DomA
DomA
Interesting yeah, it does show up in that list. The other thing is, I use it to swap in and out differnt drives that have different media assets etc.
But it ONLY occurs on the cloned C: system drive. I'm assuming it's seeing files it knows are system based and noticing that there;s been a disconnect and that's why it freaks out on that and not the others?

Anyway, once I re-clone I'll try the disable method and if that is a bust I'll just keep it permanently installed in SATA.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...