When removing backup definition files ...

Author
Andreas K
New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
then a dialog pops-up, whether you also want to delete the scheduled backups for that... Great, makes sense.

But what I am missing is, that Macrium tells me, that there are still backup files of this backup definition.
I would expect that it shows me a list of these files with date, size, their backup description etc ...
Then select boxes which of these I want to select
and then an opportunity to either
- delete them or
- to move them to another place in a reliable manner,
  i.e. to be able to archive these files on another partition or external medium or even cloud if somebody has a good one

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)
This wouldn't be feasible in many scenarios, including situations where people are using disk rotations and people using a script that mounts the network share destination just before the backup runs and then disconnects from that share afterward for security reasons.  Reflect doesn't keep a local catalog of every backup that has ever been created by a definition file (the log files are just HTML files, not a database type file), and I would argue that even providing an option to delete a bunch of backups while deleting a simple definition file would be very dangerous.  Just because I want to delete a job file does not mean I want to lose the backups it has created, for example.  The reason the option to delete the scheduled tasks exists is because they won't work anymore without the definition file anyway.  In terms of an option to move them somewhere else, I don't see what the point of that would be; deleting a definition file doesn't mean there's that leaving backups where they were originally stored becomes a problem.

To delete backups, go to the Restore tab, select the correct backup type "sub-tab", then click the "Folders to search" link and make sure any folders that contain backups are listed there.  From there, you can delete backups by selecting Other Actions > Delete backup.

Edited 1 December 2017 2:53 PM by jphughan
Andreas K
Andreas K
New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)
ok
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...