Network Logon

Author
BarneyRubble
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
This issue started after I installed build 2722.  My scheduled backups are now failing (access denied).  The backups normally write to a NAS.  The NAS folders are also a shared folder on my PC.  I can write and delete from the folder from the PC.  I deleted the schedule and tried when I try to add it.  When I'm prompted for credentials, it fails with access denied.  My NAS logs show the user does successfully connect when the backup is initiated (after the retention process).  Here is the kicker, if I run the backup manually from 'Backup Definition Files', it works. 

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)
Were you running V6 prior to updating to Build 2722?  V7 changed how network credentials are managed.  The reason right-clicking your definition file and choosing "Run Now" works is because that causes the job to run under your own user account, which means the Reflect job can use your user credentials and any network sessions you already have open (even if you supplied alternate credentials for them) for its own purposes.  Scheduled backups by default run under the SYSTEM account, and even if you change that to be your own user account, they run in a separate session, so although that would allow Reflect to use your own user credentials for network shares if those would be useful, the scheduled backup would not have access to any other network sessions open in your interactive session.

The proper way to handle network credentials is to store them under Other Tasks > Edit Defaults > Network.  Make sure the format of the network path you enter there matches the format used in the destination field for the job, i.e. if you use \\IPAddress\share rather than \\ComputerName\share, be consistent.  Then to test, you can simulate scheduled backup conditions on-demand rather than waiting for a scheduled backup by right-clicking your job under the Scheduled Backups tab (rather than Backup Definition Files) and choosing "Run Now" there.

Edited 28 November 2017 9:59 PM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)
In addition to the above, I forgot to mention that network credentials stored under Edit Defaults > Network are baked into your Rescue Media for ease of access in that environment, although I think you need to run the full "rebuild" process to get those changes baked into the media. Just click the Rebuild button at the last step of the Create Rescue Media wizard before generating new media and you should be good.
BarneyRubble
BarneyRubble
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
Thanks for your reply.  I was running v7 before the last update. 

For clarification.  When I manually run the backup definition file from the 'Backup Definitions Files' tab, it works.  If I try to schedule it, the network logon fails.  It doesn't matter if I accept the default credentials or input them manually.  I deleted the original schedule because it began failing after I upgraded to 2722. 

jphughan
jphughan
I'm not sure what you mean about accepting the default credentials or inputting them manually.  What are these default credentials you're seeing, and in terms of entering them manually, are you talking about doing so under Edit Defaults > Network, or are you somehow seeing a credential prompt during the scheduled task?  Have you seen this KB article, particularly the note about only including the server name and share name in the path, not any subfolders even if you'll be saving your backups to a subfolder?  Are you using an appropriate prefix on your username?

Edited 29 November 2017 3:36 PM by jphughan
BarneyRubble
BarneyRubble
Thanks for the response.

When is says 'Network/User', what is 'Network'?  I've never used anything but the USER.  So what is an appropriate 'prefix'?

jphughan
jphughan
How do you access your NAS share in Windows Explorer? If you're prompted for credentials and just supply the username with no prefix, then that should work for Reflect, in which case make sure your path is just \\NasNameorIP\Sharename -- again, be consistent with respect to name vs. IP between Edit Defaults > Network and the destination specified in your definition file.  If you have credentials stored somewhere (Credential Manager, batch file that runs at logon, etc.), check the username configured wherever that's stored.

Typically prefixes are only needed for scenarios such as Active Directory environments where your NAS might check user credentials against AD, in which case you'd want to use YourDomainName\user.  If your NAS just has regular user accounts configured directly on it, then chances are just using the username is fine -- but you can try something like NASName\user if you want.

Lastly, if you're on Windows 10, try using ".\User", because of the note in this article.  Granted it pertains to WinPE 10, not Windows 10, but it may be worth a shot.

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)
Group: Administrators
BarneyRubble - 28 November 2017 9:46 PM
This issue started after I installed build 2722.  My scheduled backups are now failing (access denied).  The backups normally write to a NAS.  The NAS folders are also a shared folder on my PC.  I can write and delete from the folder from the PC.  I deleted the schedule and tried when I try to add it.  When I'm prompted for credentials, it fails with access denied.  My NAS logs show the user does successfully connect when the backup is initiated (after the retention process).  Here is the kicker, if I run the backup manually from 'Backup Definition Files', it works. 

The next update, due next week, includes a change to network authentication during scheduled backups. It's possible that the share could be successsfully authenticated during a backup, using empty or SYSTEM, credentials, without write access and result in access denied.  

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

BarneyRubble
BarneyRubble
Nick - 29 November 2017 6:54 PM
BarneyRubble - 28 November 2017 9:46 PM

The next update, due next week, includes a change to network authentication during scheduled backups. It's possible that the share could be successsfully authenticated during a backup, using empty or SYSTEM, credentials, without write access and result in access denied.  

Thanks Nick, I appreciate the feedback. 

BarneyRubble
BarneyRubble
Problem resolved with build 7.1.2768.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...