What are the steps to clone a NVME (500GB) to NVME 2TB

Author
HoDam
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dear all,
Sorry for my bad english.
I get a new NVME SSD 2TB (Samsung 960 Pro)
I would like to replace my existing NVME SSD 500GB (Samsung PM951)
I have an Dell XPS 15" Notebook
What i have done
Im using the last version of MF 7.1 B2718 (WS--64Bit UEFI)
Backup my drive C:. (It is working fine. I have done already some recovers without any problem)
Create a Start Media Windows PE
Replaced the SSD 500GB to 2TB)
Boot with Boot Media and recover the Backup-Image
Everything runs well.
But when i boot, i get an info there is no Boot Partition.
Do i need additional Backup images form the original SSD.
Is there a way to clone. My problem i have no external Drive that could work with NVME.

Is this in option
Clone complete SSD(PM951) to an external HDD
Replace the nvme ssd. But how can i clone back  to the new SSD.
Thanks

HoDam

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)
The only external enclosures that support NVMe are very expensive Thunderbolt enclosures, so unless you have one of those or have a system that includes multiple internal NVMe slots, the best option is to capture an image of your 500GB SSD to something like an external hard drive or network share, then restore that image to the new SSD. You COULD do a clone to an external hard drive, but that would be less convenient since it would require erasing the external drive, and it would not offer any benefit over using an image backup instead.

It sounds like the problem is that the image you restored onto the new SSD does not contain all of the partitions from the original SSD that are required to boot a system. In that case, the fix would be to run a custom image backup that includes ALL partitions on the 500GB SSD, replace the SSD, then restore that custom image to the 2TB SSD. You can resize partitions as needed as part of the restore process, by the way. If you still can’t boot from the new SSD even after restoring all partitions, click Fix Boot Problems in the Rescue Media environment.
Edited 25 November 2017 10:28 PM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)
One additional note: If you found that your regular image backups do not allow you to restore your system in a way that will boot, you should modify the definition file that you use for your regular backups. Backing up just the C drive is not always enough to recover a system. The reason it has worked for you before is because the other necessary boot partitions were still on your drive and still ok, so it was fine to restore just your C drive. However, if those partitions were ever damaged or didn’t exist at all (like in this situation where you installed a fresh empty SSD), then just having the C partition in your backup image will not be enough to restore your system. The extra partitions that you need to include are very small, however, so adding them will not increase the size of your backups very much. Here is what I would advise you to do after you move to the new SSD:

- In Windows, open Reflect and click the option called “Image the partitions required to boot Windows”. You will find it under the Backup tab in the upper-left area of the application.

- Note the partitions that Reflect automatically selects, then click Cancel.

- Go to the Backup Definition Files tab, right-click the definition file you use for regular backups, select Edit, and make sure that you include at least the partitions that you saw Reflect select earlier. You can also include other partitions, of course.
Edited 25 November 2017 10:26 PM by jphughan
HoDam
HoDam
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Dear jphughan,

My fault was, that i didn't backup all necessary partitions in my backup-image.
Now it's working fine.
I didn't registrate this mistake. in the past I backup only drive C and it works always fine, when i need to recover.
I changed no my backup script to all necessary partions.

Thanks a lot

HoDam

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...