Uninstallation always purges WinPE cache

Author
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I've occasionally been prompted to redownload WinPE files at unexpected times, and I finally decided to dig into it.  It turns out that when uninstalling Reflect, even if I leave the "Remove Windows PE component files" option in its default unchecked state, the "Windows AIK" and "Windows Kits" folders both under C:\ProgramData\Macrium\Reflect get blown away.  I do see that the C:\boot\macrium folder gets preserved, though -- is that what the uninstaller option is referring to?  If so, I would suggest expanding the scope of that uninstaller option such that keeping it unchecked also preserves those ProgramData folders.  Under the current behavior, it seems the only benefit of preserving just the C:\boot\macrium folder would be to maintain the boot menu recovery option, since in order for those files to become useful again for any other purpose, such as building/updating Rescue Media, the user would first have to redownload those WinPE files -- so it would seem that if preserving the c:\boot\macrium folder is deemed desirable, preserving the WinPE cache would also be.

Edited 22 November 2017 5:10 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...