Another computer can't make rescue media

Author
Steve Shank
New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
A second client with a laptop can't make a rescue disk. First error was 5, second one was 9. I think the 9 came after the first error screwed up the usb flash drive. Then I reformatted the drive and it still failed. I've attached a log file. The antivirus was paused. I've made lots of rescue disks for clients and myself with that antivirus (nod32) running, so I don't think it is the issue.

This was a laptop, Windows 8, 64 bit.

So far I'm having problems with a NUC and a Laptop, but never with any desktop. Didn't have issues with previous versions on anything.

Attachments
error log inneroffice.txt (5 views, 37.00 KB)
Andrew
Andrew
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (31 reputation)Macrium Representative (31 reputation)Macrium Representative (31 reputation)Macrium Representative (31 reputation)Macrium Representative (31 reputation)Macrium Representative (31 reputation)Macrium Representative (31 reputation)Macrium Representative (31 reputation)Macrium Representative (31 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Steve,

It sounds like there may be an issue with this particular USB flash drive. What was the actual wording of the most recent error message? Can you please send us a screenshot?

Kind regards,
Andrew - Macrium Support
Steve Shank
Steve Shank
New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)
Andrew - 22 November 2017 12:52 PM
Hi Steve,

It sounds like there may be an issue with this particular USB flash drive. What was the actual wording of the most recent error message? Can you please send us a screenshot?

Kind regards,
Andrew - Macrium Support

Sorry I'm so slow getting back, but I needed to test your hypothesis. The client had to get another usb flash drive and forgot to actually place the order. Anyway, after doing that, the media was correctly made. So now, I've had 2 problems with computer, both with spare Flash Drives. Never any problems with tower computers with DVD drives. Once we replaced the old USB flash drive with a new one, the problem was resolved.

So it appears that Macrium is a bit fussy about the flash drives.

Steve Shank
Steve Shank
Steve Shank - 9 December 2017 12:51 AM
Andrew - 22 November 2017 12:52 PM
Hi Steve,

Kind regards,
Andrew - Macrium Support

Sorry I'm so slow getting back, but I needed to test your hypothesis. The client had to get another usb flash drive and forgot to actually place the order. Anyway, after doing that, the media was correctly made. So now, I've had 2 problems with computer, both with spare Flash Drives. Never any problems with tower computers with DVD drives. Once we replaced the old USB flash drive with a new one, the problem was resolved.

So it appears that Macrium is a bit fussy about the flash drives.

Another client can't make a rescue disk, but DVD this time. External dvd. Verbatim disks. Tried 3 different disks. Plugged into hub and directly. external dvd works fine for other tasks, they actually make backups to it every day. It just says, rescue disk failed

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
Can you use the wizard to generate an ISO and then use the built-in Windows ISO burner to burn it to disc?  Just right-click the ISO and choose "Burn disc image".  Make sure you do NOT just burn the ISO as a regular file to the disc, since that will not give you a bootable result.

Steve Shank
Steve Shank
jphughan - 11 January 2018 7:36 PM
Can you use the wizard to generate an ISO and then use the built-in Windows ISO burner to burn it to disc?  Just right-click the ISO and choose "Burn disc image".  Make sure you do NOT just burn the ISO as a regular file to the disc, since that will not give you a bootable result.

Good idea. I may try it. The thing is, I charge for my time and I have already made 3 disks and tested the drive etc. so even if I write off 50% of my time because I recommended a product that doesn't work, they are still paying a lot for support on a product that doesn't do what it is supposed to do and what version 6 did fine. The problems I'm having with about 1/2 of my clients making a rescue disk, plus the problems with Macrium making double images for about half my clients really makes me wonder whether I should continue with Macrium. It doesn't seem like Version 7 is ready yet.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
I wasn't necessarily suggesting that as a solution, just as a near-term workaround and perhaps a useful data point to help determine underlying cause and arrive at a proper solution.  I would be surprised if there were any changes from V6 to V7 that affect burning a Rescue Media disc, but I don't know for certain.  If this is affecting multiple systems, a support ticket may be the most prudent course of action, or if the Reflect licenses in question are covered by a support contract that includes 24/7 phone support, that would be even better.

That "double images" issue is very odd, although I suspect the fact that it happened right at the turn of the new year (and for multiple users at that time) isn't a coincidence.  Hopefully Macrium can get to the bottom of that one, but that does at least seem to be fairly isolated, because there certainly weren't widespread reports of this behavior, and Macrium has mentioned elsewhere that Task Scheduler occasionally exhibits this behavior when switching between Daylight Savings and Standard, although that doesn't happen consistently either.  Anyhow, since there are already threads going on about that, I won't sidetrack this thread on that issue any further. Smile

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...