Can not create rescue media on Win10 Home desktop -- anymore

Author
Mark Phelps
Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have a Win10 home 32-bit desktop running Win10 v1709 Bld 12699 and I can no longer create Rescue Media.

Any attempt to do this results in a Blue Screen and the message Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap.

The error occurs when the message "Setting Scratch Space" appears.

This was two days ago.

Then yesterday, the same PC automatically updated Win10 to Build 12699.64, so I tried MR again -- and it failed the same way.

I have tried the clean-boot approach, and it makes no difference.

I am running MR Home v7.1.2697.

I have two other PCs, both running the same MR version, one running Win10 Home, the other Win10 Pro (both the same Win10 builds) and those create rescue media without problems.  I only have this one 32-bit PC, so I have no other PC to test this on.

I also tried doing a repair-install with Win10 media I created using the MS Media Creation Tool -- and it also fails with the same Blue Screen.

I ran an Sfc /scannow -- and it found no errors.  I ran a memory test -- and it found no errors.  I ran CHKDSK and a surface test -- and they both found no errors.

I'm especially distressed about the new inability to create Rescue Media as I now have no way to restore the PC to working condition if I mess it up seriously trying to fix this problem.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)
I'm not sure what to suggest in the way of a full solution, but systems running 64-bit versions of Windows and Reflect can still build 32-bit Rescue Media, so here's a workaround:

1. If you can get that far in the wizard on the affected system, then any drivers that are required for that system would already have been copied to c:\boot\macrium\drivers, or rather one of the subfolders in there.  If any of those subfolders contain data, copy that Drivers folder to a flash drive, then copy those folders to the C:\boot\macrium\Drivers folder of a PC from which you can build Rescue Media.  Even if this working PC already has drivers of its own in that folder, there's no harm adding drivers pertinent to another PC .
2. On the working PC, go through the Rescue Media wizard until you get to the final step where you have the option to export an ISO, burn a disc, or set up a USB device.  Instead of doing those, click the Rebuild button, then change the Architecture selection to 32-bit.  Reflect will download the necessary files and build 32-bit Rescue Media.  You may wish to export that build as an ISO for later convenience.  After you've got that, I'd recommend going through this step again to set it back to 64-bit since that's the appropriate option for that particular system.

Edited 16 November 2017 7:25 PM by jphughan
Mark Phelps
Mark Phelps
Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)
Thanks for responding .. but I went through the steps, created the rescue media -- and it does not boot.  I tried it in two different PCs, and it still does not boot.

I even went through the knowledge base article on preparing a USB stick using diskpart, and it still does not boot.

So, I will try creating a DVD to see if that works.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)
Have you tried a different flash drive?  Or have you verified that the flash drive you're using can boot other software?  Some flash drives just aren't bootable for some reason, even when they're set up properly.

Mark Phelps
Mark Phelps
jphughan - 17 November 2017 2:01 AM
Have you tried a different flash drive?  Or have you verified that the flash drive you're using can boot other software?  Some flash drives just aren't bootable for some reason, even when they're set up properly.

I tried creating a 32-bit rescue DVD, and while the process claims to work, it too does NOT boot.

Also, I know the flash drive works because I used it to create an older version of Rescue Media.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Hmm, well you’ve already tried everything else I’d have suggested. I admit I’ve never actually worked with 32-bit Rescue Media, but I can’t imagine why it would work differently in terms of bootability. Macrium staff may chime in here soon though. Sorry!
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Actually, one more idea. What version of WinPE are you building with? I remember reading posts from Macrium that some older PCs don’t handle newer versions of WinPE well, and if your PC only supports 32-bit, then it presumably predates even Windows 7, unless maybe it’s one of those Intel Atom netbooks. Anyhow, try building Rescue Media using WinPE 3.1, which you can choose by opening the Create Rescue Media wizard and clicking Change PE Version.

Also. when you say it doesn’t boot, what exactly happens? Do you see some sort of error or do you just see a black screen with nothing happening?
Edited 17 November 2017 2:53 AM by jphughan
Mark Phelps
Mark Phelps
Sorry, should have provided more details ...

When I say it does not boot, I insert the USB stick, press F12 to get the boot menu, select the USB stick, the screen clears -- and then all I get is a blinking cursor on the upper left of a back screen.

I tried two different USB sticks, on three different PCs, and I get the same result on all.

However, I later remembered that the 32-bit desktop also boots Win7, so I booted into that, updated MR to the latest version, and attempted to make 32-bit Rescue Media -- with success!  And this is even using the latest version of WinPE.

So, it appears (at least on my PCs) that there is a problem creating 32-bit MR Rescue Media on 64-bit PCs.

PB2017
PB2017
Junior Member (80 reputation)Junior Member (80 reputation)Junior Member (80 reputation)Junior Member (80 reputation)Junior Member (80 reputation)Junior Member (80 reputation)Junior Member (80 reputation)Junior Member (80 reputation)Junior Member (80 reputation)
I have a sticker on my MR Rescue CD that states

Boot from DVD-RW drive in BIOS
Then wait 3-4 minutes!!!!!

When booting from the CD / USB I have found it takes a while to start but eventually it does.

Normally I use the boot menu option but the CD is there for emergency​​​​​​
Gosha
Gosha
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (123 reputation)Macrium Representative (123 reputation)Macrium Representative (123 reputation)Macrium Representative (123 reputation)Macrium Representative (123 reputation)Macrium Representative (123 reputation)Macrium Representative (123 reputation)Macrium Representative (123 reputation)Macrium Representative (123 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Mark Phelps - 16 November 2017 6:47 PM
I have a Win10 home 32-bit desktop running Win10 v1709 Bld 12699 and I can no longer create Rescue Media.

Any attempt to do this results in a Blue Screen and the message Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap.

The error occurs when the message "Setting Scratch Space" appears.

This was two days ago.

Then yesterday, the same PC automatically updated Win10 to Build 12699.64, so I tried MR again -- and it failed the same way.

I have tried the clean-boot approach, and it makes no difference.

I am running MR Home v7.1.2697.

I have two other PCs, both running the same MR version, one running Win10 Home, the other Win10 Pro (both the same Win10 builds) and those create rescue media without problems.  I only have this one 32-bit PC, so I have no other PC to test this on.

I also tried doing a repair-install with Win10 media I created using the MS Media Creation Tool -- and it also fails with the same Blue Screen.

I ran an Sfc /scannow -- and it found no errors.  I ran a memory test -- and it found no errors.  I ran CHKDSK and a surface test -- and they both found no errors.

I'm especially distressed about the new inability to create Rescue Media as I now have no way to restore the PC to working condition if I mess it up seriously trying to fix this problem.

Hello Mark Phelps,

Thank you for posting on our forum.

Our apologies for missing this thread.

Could you please submit a ticket to our helpdesk referencing this forum post. This can be done by logging on to http://helpdesk.macrium.com/. Once a ticket is created one of our engineers will help you resolve this issue.

Kind regards
Gosha - Macrium Support

Edited 28 November 2017 9:55 PM by Gosha
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...