Image Guardian - Can't turn off

Author
Kenneth Goodwin
New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Problem seems related to V7.1.2697 since no problems turning off Image Guardian to delete old backup files prior to this update.  If the Restart service on reboot is checked, Macrium Reflect blocks deletion of backup files.  If the Restart service on reboot is NOT checked, no problems deleting backup files when Image Guardian is turned off.  Of course, I was just subjected to some major Windows 10 updates (Windows 10 Version 1709 - Fall Creators update, KB4049011) but not being able to turn off Image Guardian is a problem on three different Windows 10 machines so I am letting Mr. Gates off the hook on this small problem.
Edited 16 November 2017 6:11 PM by Kenneth Goodwin
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)
The "Restart service on reboot" option is only available if you choose "Turn off Image Guardian" above it.  You're finding that selecting that and clicking OK still keeps MIG enabled if that option is checked?  If so, that sounds like a bug, and unfortunately I can't test it for myself at the moment.  But if that's the case, then if deleting backups within Reflect isn't a viable workaround, the last resort "fix" would be to remove the MIG component entirely.  To do that, go to Programs and Features, select Reflect, click Change > Modify, and uncheck MIG.

Kenneth Goodwin
Kenneth Goodwin
New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)
jphughan - 16 November 2017 6:17 PM
The "Restart service on reboot" option is only available if you choose "Turn off Image Guardian" above it.  You're finding that selecting that and clicking OK still keeps MIG enabled if that option is checked?  If so, that sounds like a bug, and unfortunately I can't test it for myself at the moment.  But if that's the case, then if deleting backups within Reflect isn't a viable workaround, the last resort "fix" would be to remove the MIG component entirely.  To do that, go to Programs and Features, select Reflect, click Change > Modify, and uncheck MIG.

With the "Turn off Image Guardian" AND "Restart service on reboot" both checked, backups can't be deleted (blocked by Image Guardian) but UNCHECKING just the restart option allows one to delete backups.  In other words, one can turn off image guardian as long as you don't check the restart option (which is a nice feature since I normally forget to go back and turn image guardian back on).​
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)
Hmm, that's definitely not the way it's supposed to work, and that hasn't been the way it's worked in the past.  Hopefully Macrium can investigate and weigh in on this.  I know that Build 2697 specifically addressed a crash issue in the MIG Settings UI that affected people using the German language, but perhaps whatever change fixed that broke something else even for non-German users -- or do you happen to be a German language user?

jphughan
jphughan
I have confirmed the reported behavior on the immediately previous build 7.1.2695 running on a Windows Server 2016 box.  When I disabled MIG but kept the "Restart service on reboot" option checked, I was unable to rename a backup file, instead seeing the storage policy error that MIG triggers.  Additionally, disabling MIG in this fashion triggers the error icon below where the MIG logo would normally appear.  Mousing over it reveals a tooltip that says, "Service error".

Edited 16 November 2017 9:18 PM by jphughan
Kenneth Goodwin
Kenneth Goodwin
jphughan - 16 November 2017 9:16 PM
I have confirmed the reported behavior on the immediately previous build 7.1.2695 running on a Windows Server 2016 box.  When I disabled MIG but kept the "Restart service on reboot" option checked, I was unable to rename a backup file, instead seeing the storage policy error that MIG triggers.  Additionally, disabling MIG in this fashion triggers the error icon below where the MIG logo would normally appear.  Mousing over it reveals a tooltip that says, "Service error".

Thanks for the investigation.  Ken​
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Kenneth Goodwin - 16 November 2017 5:41 PM
Problem seems related to V7.1.2697 since no problems turning off Image Guardian to delete old backup files prior to this update.  If the Restart service on reboot is checked, Macrium Reflect blocks deletion of backup files.  If the Restart service on reboot is NOT checked, no problems deleting backup files when Image Guardian is turned off.  Of course, I was just subjected to some major Windows 10 updates (Windows 10 Version 1709 - Fall Creators update, KB4049011) but not being able to turn off Image Guardian is a problem on three different Windows 10 machines so I am letting Mr. Gates off the hook on this small problem.

jphughan - 16 November 2017 9:16 PM

Thanks for the observation and investigation. we'll issue an update shortly to overcome this issue.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

jphughan
jphughan
7.1.2718 is out with the fix, 2 business days after the original report.  Nice! Smile  (UPDATE: Maybe not.  See this thread.)

Edited 20 November 2017 8:56 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...