How to redeploy hard drive from current laptop to new laptop (Dissimilar hardware)

Author
markysparks68
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,
In the past I have cloned an old hard drive onto a new upgraded hard drive successfully although using Acronis on the same laptop. I have found the later versions of Acronis to be cumbersome and error prone and have since moved over to Macrium Reflect Version 7.

In this instance I want to redeploy the drive in my current laptop over to a new laptop of dissimilar hardware, from an Acer Aspire to a HP Pavilion. I have never used this method before. Both laptops are UEFI; I wish to redeploy my Windows 8.1 SSD hard drive with all that is on it over to the new laptop to keep the current configuration but I do not quite grasp the principles required using Macrium deploy. I understand I have to first boot the target PC with the Windows PE rescue CD or USB equivalent. Then it says click redeploy image to new hardware. I am confused at this stage as to what this means. I had planned to install a new SSD hard drive in the target laptop, replacing the SATA drive, so I assume I am restoring a backed up image of my current laptop hard drive onto the new drive on the target laptop? 

Then it goes on to say insert a driver disk for the hardware you are going to boot from. This will typically be the motherboard or RAID card driver CD. This part I am also confused about. How do I create a driver disk for the hardware I am going to boot? Is this telling to me I need to create disk of all the drivers on my current laptop for the motherboard/raid card driver? Isn't it the drivers from the target laptop that are important which at the boot stage will be searched to allow making the redeployed image work on it?

I am hoping that there is someone who has already experienced and carried out what I am about to attempt who may be able to assist me with some guidance and pointers in doing so, so that I can do so in the correct manner. I have also heard about installing it onto a target laptop as a virtual machine using Viboot but I don't quite grasp the concept of that either. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Kind regards in advance
Edited 14 November 2017 7:31 AM by markysparks68
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)
ReDeploy works with whatever Windows installation(s) it finds on the hard drive.  So for example if you were transplanting the actual hard drive from your old PC to your new one or were running a server where you had just switched to a new RAID controller, you could boot into Rescue Media and immediately run ReDeploy to adjust that existing Windows installation to boot on your new hardware.  But in the typical migration scenario, you would capture an image of the old PC, boot the new PC to Rescue Media, restore that image, and then run ReDeploy before restarting.

In terms of drivers, ReDeploy only cares about boot-critical drivers, which are usually storage/RAID and USB.  It scans the driver library of the OS it's ReDeploying for suitable drivers, so given that you're running 8.1, it's possible that it will have native support for your new PC's boot-critical devices and therefore you won't need to manually supply drivers at all because ReDeploy will find everything it needs.  But if it says you need drivers, then you would need to have manually downloaded Windows 8.1 drivers for that hardware and put them on a flash drive that you would point ReDeploy to.  Chances are the only driver you'd need would be the Intel Rapid Storage driver, but if you provide the exact model of the new PC I may be able to give you better guidance.  Anyhow, the needed drivers are usually pretty easy to find on the PC manufacturer's site, assuming they support running Windows 8.1 on your system.  If they don't, then you might want to rethink this migration, or at least plan to perform the migration only to move everything over and then immediately run the Windows 10 upgrade to get onto an OS that the vendor provides drivers for.  Also note that you'll need to have the extracted version of the drivers, i.e. a folder that contains an INF file somewhere.  Reflect can't work with just an EXE file to get the drivers it needs.  Vendors are getting better about packaging their EXEs in a way that allows drivers to be extracted for this purpose.

​​But again, there's a good chance ReDeploy won't need any drivers anyway.  Typical stumbling blocks are USB 3.0, NVMe, and server-grade RAID cards, but 8.1 has native support for the first two and you wouldn't have the latter in a laptop.
Edited 14 November 2017 2:58 PM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)
Two more notes in addition to the above:

- ​​You will still have to install other drivers after you get your system booted.  Again, ReDeploy only focuses on what's necessary to get the system to boot.  Then it's up to you to install any other required drivers for full operation.

- If your new PC doesn't have a Windows 8.1 license embedded into its BIOS (and for the same edition your old PC is running, i.e .Home vs. Pro), then it's very likely that your Windows 8.1 installation will fall out of activation on the new PC.  If that happens and you have a retail license key, you should be able to get it reactivated on your new PC, though you may have to use phone-based activation.  If it's an OEM key that came with the old PC, then those are explicitly non-transferable to new PCs. The reason is that there's an 8.1 key embedded into the old PC's BIOS, and therefore it will still be possible to continue running 8.1 on it even after you've migrated, so Microsoft doesn't want you to get another free license to run 8.1 on some other PC as well.  In that case, you would have to buy a new 8.1 license for the new PC to keep running 8.1 on it.  If your new PC is licensed for Windows 10, that does not grant automatic downgrade rights to run 8.1, fyi, and unfortunately you may have trouble finding someone that's still even selling 8.1 license keys at this point.  All of this is a Microsoft limitation, not a Macrium limitation.  But if this becomes a problem, reiterating what I mentioned earlier, you might have to plan to perform this migration and ReDeploy simply to move your data and applications over and then immediately run a Windows 10 upgrade in order to get onto an OS your new PC is licensed to run.  Or you may instead prefer to start clean on the new PC by manually reinstalling your applications and then migrating your data by simply mounting the old PC's image backup within Windows on the new PC and grabbing the necessary data.
Edited 14 November 2017 3:02 PM by jphughan
markysparks68
markysparks68
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Hi jphughan,

Thank you for taking the time to reply in detail to the question(s) I posted. 

My plan was redeploying from my Acer Aspire V3-772g to my HP Pavilion dv7-3112sa (which has upgraded RAM) and but pre-installed with Windows 7 but later clean installed with Windows 8.1. Basically I want my new installed blank 1TB SSD HD on the target laptop to be exactly the same as the 1TB SSD HD I have on my current laptop; I just did not quite understand the process. Did I have to first create the image from my Acer Aspire on to the new hard drive then install it onto the HP Pavilion and boot into rescue media and then immediately run Redeploy to adjust that existing Windows installation to boot on your new hardware? As in capturing an image of the old PC (onto the new hard drive?) before I install the hard drive in the bay of the target PC, boot the target PC to Rescue Media, restore that image, and then run ReDeploy before restarting? Is that basically what you are saying?

I understand the part regarding drivers and that redeploy may find everything I need, but to be aware if it says I need drivers, then I would need to have manually download Windows 8.1 drivers for that hardware and put them on a flash drive that you would point ReDeploy to. In effect that ReDeploy only focuses on what's necessary to get the system to boot. 

Going back to Windows licences, this raises an important point since the target PC was pre-installed with Windows 7 initially, but since it was clean installed with a paid for Windows 8.1 licence for which I have the Retail CD, would the BIOS revert to the previously embedded Windows 7 licence which was pre-installed? Since Windows 8.1 was installed later using the Windows 8.1 retail CD, I wonder now if there would be no crossover for it to recognise that but for me to simply just having to insert the licence key once I boot in?

Lol it all sound a little more complicated that it might otherwise be and makes me less confident about not running into problems or finding that it won't boot into the laptop and getting stuck trying to resolve doing so. I know I could just install the new hard drive and clean install Windows 8.1 onto it but I wanted to keep the same configuration saving weeks of reinstalling the OS. programs and current browsers configured how I want them, also given that I know the current hard drive has no issues of any kind, no virus/malware etc. 

Any further pointers and/or corrections to what I have since posted would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance. 

jphughan
jphughan
It sounds more complicated than it is, don't worry.  But here you go:

- If you want to migrate the "state" of your old PC's 1TB SSD onto your new one, typically you would capture an image of the old one to some other location (external hard drive, network share, etc) and then boot the new PC with Rescue Media to restore that image file onto it.  You wouldn't store an image file on the hard drive you wanted to restore it to, because you can't restore an image file onto the drive that contains the image.  However, if you do have something like a SATA to USB adapter that would allow you to have both drives connected to the same PC at the same time (doesn't matter which one), then you can perform a clone operation (not an image operation) to copy data directly from one SSD to another.  That of course involves opening one of the PCs up in order to get to its drive and connect it to the other, so that may or may not be easier overall, but if you did that, then you'd just run the clone, install the new SSD in the new PC, and boot into Rescue Media just to run ReDeploy.

- In terms of drivers, I just checked the HP site and the only OS that their support page even mentions for that model is Windows 7, so there's a very good chance Windows 8.1 will have everything needed for ReDeploy to do what's needed.  When I said drivers might be required, I thought this new PC was brand new and therefore might require drivers that were newer than would be built into 8.1.

- In terms of licensing, if your new PC has its own Windows 8.1 license, then you'll be fine.  It's possible that your restored environment will fall out of activation, but if that happens, you can just enter the product key from the 8.1 license that was already dedicated to that new PC and you'll be fine from there, since Microsoft will see a valid key and see that it's being used on the same PC as it was originally; it won't care that you restored an image from another PC.​  You just needed to own that license.  But again, the editions have to match too, i.e. Home vs. Pro.​​​

Edited 14 November 2017 5:09 PM by jphughan
markysparks68
markysparks68
jphughan - 14 November 2017 5:00 PM
It sounds more complicated than it is, don't worry.  But here you go:

- If you want to migrate the "state" of your old PC's 1TB SSD onto your new one, typically you would capture an image of the old one to some other location (external hard drive, network share, etc) and then boot the new PC with Rescue Media to restore that image file onto it.  You wouldn't store an image file on the hard drive you wanted to restore it to, because you can't restore an image file onto the drive that contains the image.  However, if you do have something like a SATA to USB adapter that would allow you to have both drives connected to the same PC at the same time (doesn't matter which one), then you can perform a clone operation (not an image operation) to copy data directly from one SSD to another.  That of course involves opening one of the PCs up in order to get to its drive and connect it to the other, so that may or may not be easier overall, but if you did that, then you'd just run the clone, install the new SSD in the new PC, and boot into Rescue Media just to run ReDeploy.

- In terms of drivers, I just checked the HP site and the only OS that their support page even mentions for that model is Windows 7, so there's a very good chance Windows 8.1 will have everything needed for ReDeploy to do what's needed.  When I said drivers might be required, I thought this new PC was brand new and therefore might require drivers that were newer than would be built into 8.1.

- In terms of licensing, if your new PC has its own Windows 8.1 license, then you'll be fine.  It's possible that your restored environment will fall out of activation, but if that happens, you can just enter the product key from the 8.1 license that was already dedicated to that new PC and you'll be fine from there, since Microsoft will see a valid key and see that it's being used on the same PC as it was originally; it won't care that you restored an image from another PC.  You just needed to own that license.  But again, the editions have to match too, i.e. Home vs. Pro.

That doesn't sound as complicated as I first thought. I think I will clone the drive with my SATA to USB adapter then install the new SSD in the new PC, and boot into Rescue Media just to run ReDeploy as you mentioned. Then perhaps just enter the product key from the 8.1 license that was already dedicated to that new PC should the restored environment fall out of activation, while hopefully the drivers should take care of itself as you mentioned; and both editions do match as they are both the Home editions. 

Hopefully then I have all the information I need to proceed with the redeployment. Thank you for your kind assistance, and I will take anything else on board not mentioned that might be important should you think of anything.

Kind regard
Edited 14 November 2017 6:04 PM by markysparks68
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...