Cannot create Rescue Disk on at least 3 workstations

Author
plover
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Using V7 recently purchased and I am given error Code 1 - problem with windows PE.  Tells me to download missing file?  Do not understand what file.  This seems to be happening after every new purchase/install of Macrium Reflect workstation edition in the last 2 months.  In another case was a reinstall on a PC that had to be re-imaged and Macrium was moved to that workstation from another.  We are running Win7, Win10 both Pro versions,64 bit and another PC with Win7 32bit.  This never happened in the past.  We have at least a dozen installations.
Thank you for any help.
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)
Do you have a common anti-virus solution installed on all of these systems?  This thread was created recently about the same issue, and Nick suggested checking the C:\ProgramData\Macrium\waik\waiklog.txt log file to see what Rescue Media file is causing the problem.

Edited 8 November 2017 7:12 PM by jphughan
plover
plover
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
jphughan - 8 November 2017 7:11 PM
Do you have a common anti-virus solution installed on all of these systems?  This thread was created recently about the same issue, and Nick suggested checking the C:\ProgramData\Macrium\waik\waiklog.txt log file to see what Rescue Media file is causing the problem.
Yes, Malwarebytes is on there since June. Thank you, I will check on this tomorrow when I am in the office and report back here.  Thank you
plover
plover
jphughan - 8 November 2017 7:11 PM

Attachments
waiklog.txt (4 views, 62.00 KB)
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)
The identical entries at the bottom indicate the problem.  ImageX.exe is a Microsoft tool that's used for creating WIM files, which are essentially image file containers from which one can boot a WinPE environment (and also store a Windows image that will be installed onto a PC).  When Reflect builds Rescue Media, it assembles the various required files (WinPE, additional drivers, Reflect files, etc.) and uses ImageX to roll all of that up into a WIM file.  The error is indicating that ImageX.exe isn't being found for the final phase of unmounting a mounted image in order to save everything into that WIM file, which suggests that some other process, likely anti-virus, deleted it.  The other user who had this issue running ESET anti-virus had a similar error in his log, but it pertained to a file called Bootsect.exe, which is used in order to modify a partition's boot code.  That can certainly be used for malicious purposes, but I'm surprised to find ImageX getting flagged since it's not nearly as dangerous and it's also been around since the Vista days, in fact Microsoft has even replaced most of its functionality with a new tool called DISM that was itself introduced many years ago (though ImageX still works perfectly well for many uses and continues to exist because it can do some things that DISM can't.)

Anyhow, this reinforces my theory that AV is your culprit here.​​  You could maybe try adding "C:\ProgramData\Macrium\Reflect" to your exclusions list.
Edited 11 November 2017 8:26 PM by jphughan
plover
plover
Thank you, I will try this late on Monday in MalwareBytes as the Symatec End Point which was on there even earlier never blocked it.  On updates Symantec would always ask to allow and that was the end of it.  Both are Enterprise software and not standalone installs.  Will let you know the result. 
plover
plover
plover - 11 November 2017 9:49 PM
Thank you, I will try this late on Monday in MalwareBytes as the Symatec End Point which was on there even earlier never blocked it.  On updates Symantec would always ask to allow and that was the end of it.  Both are Enterprise software and not standalone installs.  Will let you know the result. 

We have followed your suggestions with the Symantec anti virus and with Malware Bytes.  The PC I sent you the log from actually downloaded an iso file after that named waik_supplement_en-us, burnt it to disc. When pointing the recovery creation program to these files, it is still  not finding the files needed.. I currently have 3 PC's with this problem. None of the other 9 had a problem creating the recovery disks  last week.  Can you send me a link to the appropriate files please? Or what should I try next.   Two machines are Win10 and one is Win7.  Thank you.
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)
Group: Administrators
plover - 27 November 2017 7:12 PM
plover - 11 November 2017 9:49 PM

We have followed your suggestions with the Symantec anti virus and with Malware Bytes.  The PC I sent you the log from actually downloaded an iso file after that named waik_supplement_en-us, burnt it to disc. When pointing the recovery creation program to these files, it is still  not finding the files needed.. I currently have 3 PC's with this problem. None of the other 9 had a problem creating the recovery disks  last week.  Can you send me a link to the appropriate files please? Or what should I try next.   Two machines are Win10 and one is Win7.  Thank you.

Hi

The WAIK log shows that Macrium Reflect is blocked from accessing http://download.microsoft.com

http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/4/C/04C805CC-4C04-4D76-BE80-7D67B951CF73/waik_supplement_en-us.iso
http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/E/9/8E9BBC64-E6F8-457C-9B8D-F6C9A16E6D6A/KB3AIK_EN.iso

These are publicly accessible URLs and shouldn't have any connection problems.  

These downloads are being blocked either by a proxy server (if you have one) or by Firewall/AV software. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited 3 December 2017 2:29 PM by Nick
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...