Boot computer from clone in external USB enclusre

Author
sigrossman
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Just out of curiosity I make my clone using a matching laptop hard drive in an external USB enclosure.  I have once swapped drives successfully when my existing drive was crippled by malware. Is it possible to boot from the external drive if I change the boot preference to USB?  This would allow me to try to clean up the affected drive and avoid the swap. 
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)
Windows does not support (read: allow) being booted from a USB hard drive except when set up as a "Windows To Go" environment, but that requires licenses for Enterprise versions of Windows and is a custom setup, so a clone of a regular Windows environment wouldn't work.  I've also seen some systems that will only boot from USB removable media devices (flash drives) and not fixed disk devices (hard drives and SSDs).

Nick from Macrium posted about this in another thread here: https://forum.macrium.com/FindPost14747.aspx

Edited 7 November 2017 2:34 AM by jphughan
sigrossman
sigrossman
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Nice clear explanation.  Since I don''t deal well with tiny screws I'll have to get third party help as I did the first time.
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)
I know what you mean.  There are some nice tool-free enclosures out there, like this one.  Or if you don't routinely move that drive around or have other circumstances that require the extra protection of a full enclosure, one option you might prefer is a drive dock, like this lay-flat model or this upright model.  They're especially handy if you need to swap between different drives, although they'll be larger because they're sized to be able to support 3.5" (desktop-size) drives as well.  And no I'm not affiliated with that company at all; they just make quality products and sell in several countries. Smile

Edited 7 November 2017 4:37 AM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...