Restore image vrom usb drive not using Rapid Delta Restore

Author
Danskeman
Talented Member
Talented Member (110 reputation)Talented Member (110 reputation)Talented Member (110 reputation)Talented Member (110 reputation)Talented Member (110 reputation)Talented Member (110 reputation)Talented Member (110 reputation)Talented Member (110 reputation)Talented Member (110 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I just has a siutation where PC will not reboot after restoring an image.  The Restore uses Rapid Delta Restore,and once in a while it does not work properly.

I decided to do a full restore, but I could not find any simple way of NOT using RDR.

Even deleting partitions did not help.  

In the end, I had to nuke the drive completely using clean all command from diskpart.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
The option you're looking for is shown below, but can you elaborate on the behavior you see when the restore doesn't work properly?  Are you seeing a particular error message?  RDR shouldn't be causing restores to fail. 

​​
Edited 5 November 2017 4:47 PM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
Also, when you say you deleted the partition, are you referring to the "Delete existing partition" link in the restore wizard?  If so, clicking that doesn't delete the partition immediately.  That option exists there because that step of the wizard is a "staging area" where you can choose which partitions to restore, specify desired partition arrangement and sizing, etc., and therefore you might want to choose to delete an existing partition to make room for something else you want to put there -- but the changes specified there don't actually get applied unless you actually execute the job.  Notice that if you choose to delete a partition there, then cancel the wizard, that partition will still be there on the disk.  And even if you do execute the job, I've just confirmed via testing that if you choose to delete an existing partition but then manually drag down the backup of that exact partition into the empty space, RDR will still be used during the restore because again, that partition on disk was never actually deleted.

​​If you want to actually delete the existing partition beforehand, you'd need to use something like diskpart, which is available by opening Command Prompt via the taskbar.
Edited 5 November 2017 5:03 PM by jphughan
Danskeman
Danskeman
Talented Member
Talented Member (110 reputation)Talented Member (110 reputation)Talented Member (110 reputation)Talented Member (110 reputation)Talented Member (110 reputation)Talented Member (110 reputation)Talented Member (110 reputation)Talented Member (110 reputation)Talented Member (110 reputation)
I got no error messages - pc just went to automatic repair and failed to do so.

That method of not doing RDR could be clearer - it is not intuitive.

As an aside, another non-intuitive feature is you have to click on restore to select image before you can select to make an incremental or differential backup.  It would be clearer to have option in backup menus to make ic/diff and then select relevant full image backup.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
What would you suggest?  The Advanced Options link in the lower-left corner is the same UI design implemented for performing backups and clones -- in fact that's where the Rapid Delta Clone option is, too. The only difference is that on the restore side, that link is only shown on the summary page, whereas on the backup side, that link is shown starting on the disk selection page.  That would arguably be worth fixing.  But I personally don't think it's worth placing that option in a more prominent location since again, it shouldn't be causing problems anyway, and therefore users shouldn't ever really need to touch or even think about that setting -- but if RDR is causing problems in your case, that might be something worth opening a ticket with Macrium about so they can determine root cause.  For everyone else though, surfacing rarely modified options would only make for a more cluttered UI without adding an appropriate amount of value.  People whose Rescue environments are locked at 640x480 due to hardware issues already have trouble trying to see the UI that already exists, for example.

In terms of creating an Inc/Diff backup, I agree that having it hidden under the Restore tab is not intuitive, and that same feedback from another user prompted me to give it some thought and ultimately create this Wish List thread for a broader UI redesign.  Macrium responded positively, so perhaps it will be part of Reflect V8.

@Macrium, back to my earlier point, would there be some way to show the Advanced Options link on the first step of the Restore wizard, just as occurs with the Backup wizard?​

​​​
Edited 5 November 2017 5:42 PM by jphughan
Danskeman
Danskeman
Talented Member
Danskeman - 5 November 2017 5:08 PM
I got no error messages - pc just went to automatic repair and failed to do so.

That method of not doing RDR could be clearer - it is not intuitive.

As an aside, another non-intuitive feature is you have to click on restore to select image before you can select to make an incremental or differential backup.  It would be clearer to have option in backup menus to make ic/diff and then select relevant full image backup.

Actually I m ok with the link -  misinterpreted your reply.  Sometimes you cannot see the obvious - LOL.

I have been a Reflect user for many years - far better than Acronis by miles.  However, there are some "New Kids on the Block".  AOEMI is making inroads into Reflect's territory as it (with some partial justification) claims its UI is clearer, it offers file and folder backup, and incrementals all free.

I think an overhaul of the GUI is long overdue - it has barely changed since version 5. 

Re. RDR - I did use diskpart in the end but still got issues.  I restored a slightly older image and all was fine.  I can only assume either my backup is corrupted or there is a bug somewhere.

Actually, I had issues with the 640x480 but using winpe4 sorted it for me.  The main issue with that is when restoring, you cannot click on the next button (can't remember what it is callled of top of my head) as it is off screen.  A simple expediency of moving the next button into the 640x480 frame, or adding scrollbars would give a simple and pragmatic solution for those who cannot get a solution changing winpe like I did. 

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...