Does PE recovery disk have to be regularly updated ?

Author
pacman
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Windows 10 is constantly being updated. Does this mean that one has to regularly update the PE recovery disk so that it will work when needed ?
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
There are two components to Rescue Media: the version of Reflect it uses, and the version of WinPE it runs on.  They are completely independent of each other, and updates to each can be needed for different reasons.  For the latter, currently Macrium only supports up to WinPE 10 1607 (Anniversary), so if you're already using that, there's no reason to update even if you're running a newer version of "real" Windows.  Typically PE updates are performed to add native support for devices, entirely new classes of hardware/technology (UEFI, USB 3.0, NVMe) and somewhat recently, the newer XTS mode of BitLocker introduced in Win10 1511.  But in general, if you don't need anything offered by the newer version of WinPE whenever Macrium supports it, then don't bother.  It's also worth noting that WinPE does not benefit from monthly updates like "real" Windows.  It's updated with every major release of Windows, but it's then kept static for the life of that Windows release.

In terms of updating your Rescue Media to use a newer version of Reflect, I addressed that when answering a similar question in this post: https://forum.macrium.com/FindPost18762.aspx

pacman
pacman
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Thanks for this rapid reply.
You write "...currently Macrium only supports up to WinPE 10 1607 (Anniversary), so if you're already using that...". 
How do I know what version of WinPE I'm using ? I've looked for it on my system without success. If I type WinPE into the list of programs all I get is a web search for the term.
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)
It wouldn't show up in Programs and Features because Reflect just downloads the WinPE files directly from Microsoft and caches them for its own use.

To see the version a given Rescue Media "copy" is running, boot into it and check the title bar of the Reflect application, which will show it as demonstrated in the screenshot below; this is only shown when booted in Rescue, not in "real" Windows.  However, if you're using WinPE 10, it won't show which specific release of PE 10 it is.  To see that in Rescue, you'd have to open Command Prompt in the taskbar and use the build number you'll see at the top of that window to figure it out.  Build 14393 = 1607, for example.

If you want to see what version of WinPE new Rescue Media you're going to build will be use, in Reflect running in "real" Windows, go to Other Tasks > Create Rescue Media > Next > Next.  The final page of that wizard shows the PE version, including the specific variant for WinPE 10, as also shown below.

Edited 27 October 2017 9:01 PM by jphughan
pacman
pacman
Aaah, all clear. Many thanks for this clarification.
akahan
akahan
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Hi - you mention that the Rescue Environment contains two components - Windows PE and Reflect itself, but the explanation pertains only to updates in Windows PE.

I expect that some, but not all, updates to Macrium Reflect itself make changes to the rescue environment created by that version (as compared to the rescue environment created by the previous version).... but some updates to Macrium Reflect probably affect the behavior of Macrium Reflect itself, but do not make any change to the rescue environment.  

Does this mean that every time Macrium Reflect gets an update, I should create a new rescue disc using the latest update, to ensure that my rescue environment will incorporate all the latest fixes?   Or is it necessary to create a new rescue disc after some updates, but not others?   (For example, the November 9 update of Macrium Reflect fixed issues with the rescue environment finding network resources to restore from... but other updates probably make no change to the rescue environment at all.)   How do users know which Macrium Reflect updates contain changes that affect rescue disks and which do not?  The release notes don't seem to be very clear about this.  Would it be possible, if appropriate, for the release notes for each update to say whether or not creating a new rescue disc is recommended after installing that update, or specifically what changes, if any, are made to the rescue environment by the update?

Thanks!
jphughan
jphughan
Reflect downloads WinPE straight from Microsoft and without modification (other than installing drivers for hardware that Reflect detects as necessary, which I'll address in a moment).  Microsoft does not patch WinPE like they do with regular Windows; instead, a new WinPE release arrives with each new major Windows release.  However, the newest version of WinPE that Reflect actually supports is WinPE 10 1607.

Reflect updates only update Reflect's own application files stored on the Rescue Media and possibly other minor things, e.g. the included File Explorer application, and the Restart button was recently updated to offer a choice between Restart and Shut Down.  But other than that, Reflect updates do not modify the core WinPE files.  And as you can see from the release notes, most Reflect updates do not even include changes that pertain to the Rescue environment at all.  However, when a Reflect update arrives that DOES pertain to the Rescue environment, Macrium is usually quite good about calling that out in their release notes.  In the V6 days, there were 4-5 releases where the release notes had red text basically saying, "If this issue affects you, update your Rescue Media after you install this update", and even when it wasn't something that significant, the notes themselves mention Rescue or "PE" so people are aware.  It does appear that the release notes for the V7 update that fixed the network credential prompt in Rescue did not call that fix out, though -- that is unusual.

But unless you want to use a new WinPE version or have installed a Reflect update that specifically affects Rescue, the only other time you would need to update your Rescue Media would be if you changed a key piece of hardware that you would need to work in the Rescue environment and for which drivers would have to be added.  In that case, run the wizard again and I would also recommend clicking the Rebuild button on the last page so that the drivers are included both in the root of the Rescue Media and baked into the boot.wim file itself, since some drivers have to be in the latter location to be usable, but that location only gets updated by clicking Rebuild.

Edited 7 December 2017 4:04 PM by jphughan
akahan
akahan
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
jphughan - 7 December 2017 3:56 PM
Reflect downloads WinPE straight from Microsoft and without modification (other than installing drivers for hardware that Reflect detects as necessary, which I'll address in a moment).  Microsoft does not patch WinPE like they do with regular Windows; instead, a new WinPE release arrives with each new major Windows release.  However, the newest version of WinPE that Reflect actually supports is WinPE 10 1607.

Reflect updates only update Reflect's own application files stored on the Rescue Media; they do not modify the other Rescue environment files.  And as you can see from the release notes, most Reflect updates have changes that do not pertain to the Rescue environment at all.  However, when a Reflect updates arrives that DOES affect the Rescue environment, Macrium is usually quite good about calling that out in their release notes.  In the V6 days, there were 4-5 releases where the release notes had red text basically saying, "If this issue affects you, update your Rescue Media after you install this update", and even when it wasn't something that significant, the notes themselves mention Rescue or "PE" so people are aware.  It does appear that the release notes for the V7 update that fixed the network credential prompt in Rescue did not call that fix out, though -- that is unusual.

Other than that, the only time you would need to update your Rescue Media would be if you changed a key piece of hardware in your system for which drivers would be required in the Rescue environment.  In that case, run the wizard again and I would also recommend clicking the Rebuild button on the last page so that the drivers are included both in the root of the Rescue Media and baked into the boot.wim file itself, since some drivers have to be in the latter location to be usable, but that location only gets updated by clicking Rebuild.

Thanks - based on your post, it sounds like Macrium is, at least most of the time, mentioning in the release notes that there are changes that affect the rescue environment, and my concern was arising from what is an apparently unusual oversight on a specific update's notes where that aspect of the update was of particular importance to me.. 

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...