copy, paste and delete backup files

Author
shmu26
Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
It seems that the latest build of version 7 has file protection (I remember something about this during the install) and I assume it is why I am blocked from deleting files and moving them around.
If this is right, so how can I temporarily disable this protection?
I want to copy a certain backup file to another location, where it won't get automatically deleted when space runs low. And I want to delete an old file that is already there.
Or is there a better way to do this? I can't figure out how to delete the file.
Edited 23 October 2017 10:17 AM by shmu26
shmu26
shmu26
Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)Junior Member (54 reputation)
Okay, never mind, I hunted it down in Knowledgebase:

Macrium Image Guardian

To turn MIG on or off, take the 'Other Tasks' > 'Macrium Image Guardian Settings..' menu option:

et_and_family
et_and_family
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (323 reputation)Proficient Member (323 reputation)Proficient Member (323 reputation)Proficient Member (323 reputation)Proficient Member (323 reputation)Proficient Member (323 reputation)Proficient Member (323 reputation)Proficient Member (323 reputation)Proficient Member (323 reputation)
To  delete backups when Image Guardian is on you need to delete within Macrium Reflect (this method also works if Image Guardian is off):
1. Open Reflect and Select Restore tab. Then select backup you wish to delete and on the right hand side select 'Other Actions' and from the drop down menu select 'Delete file'. A bit more detail is in the following diagram:
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/1a778f99-5d54-427b-97d9-a50c.jpg

2. After selecting 'Delete file' you get a new dialog as follows where you can select additional backups from the backup set to delete:
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/3c8d5b9e-09ec-4fd5-a27c-4859.jpg

After clicking on 'OK' you will be asked to confirm that you wish to delete the backup files.

Hope this helps, Regards, et
Edited 23 October 2017 1:48 PM by et_and_family
shmu26
shmu26
Right, that definitely works. as long as the file you want to delete is where Reflect originally put it.
But if you already copied your backup file to a custom location, that method doesn't seem to work.
et_and_family
et_and_family
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (323 reputation)Proficient Member (323 reputation)Proficient Member (323 reputation)Proficient Member (323 reputation)Proficient Member (323 reputation)Proficient Member (323 reputation)Proficient Member (323 reputation)Proficient Member (323 reputation)Proficient Member (323 reputation)
When trying to delete backups from a folder you had copied and pasted try the following:

In the Restore tab select 'Folder to search' (do not select 'Browse for an Image file') and add the folder containing the backups you wish to delete. Once this folder is added remove the tick against all other folders in the dialog as follows so only the folder with your backup to be deleted has a tick:
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/f0691e6a-7cd9-4bf7-bfaf-16a4.jpg

Then click 'OK'

You should then find your backups to be deleted shown so you can select a backup, then select 'Other actions' and then from the menu select 'Delete file' and delete as previous posting.

Once you have deleted your backups click on 'Folders to search' and remove/delete (or remove the tick against) the folder with the backups just deleted and then tick the other backup locations again. > 'OK'

Hope this works for you.
Edited 24 October 2017 9:07 AM by et_and_family
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)
^ That note to uncheck other locations is absolutely critical when dealing with locations that contain copies of backups!!

Macrium specifically warns that Reflect should never be set up to "see" multiple copies of identical backups.  One user found out that when this was done, choosing to delete one backup also deleted the corresponding copy of that backup that Reflect was able to see because both locations were in the "Folders to search" view.  I believe it's also a problem to have multiple copies of the same backup in the same folder, even when they have different names (as they would have to in that case).

Edited 23 October 2017 6:06 PM by jphughan
shmu26
shmu26
It's no big deal to disable the guard for a minute and delete. "Other tasks" tab, bottom option.
Even if you forget to reenable it, after reboot it will start up again.
RRD
RRD
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
I don't visit this forum much, and I am not familiar with its procedures.

But I just wanted to tip my hat to the Macrium developers who came up with MIG!

Yeah, I experienced the same state of confusion as others when trying to delete an old back-up. However, in today's crazy, criminal-infested Internet, this is most definitely a step in the right direction.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you, Macrium!!!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...