Windows 10 Upgrade 1709 Causes Reflect Notifications to Stay in Notification Center

Author
Reflecting Mirror
New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Running Reflect 6.3.1835 on Windows 10 64-bit upgraded from 1703 to 1709 has a minor issue when running Reflect from a script in the Windows scheduler.

When running Reflect from the scheduler using a script, the start and finish notifications stay in the notification center until you manually dismiss them in the notification center. I did not test if this issue only occurs when running Reflect from the Windows scheduler.

Previous to 1709 OS upgrade, the Windows notification center did not retain the Reflect start/finish notifications which will impact systems that have lights-out backups by retaining the start/finish notices until someone manually dismisses the notices.

Can Macrium modify Reflect back to the temporary notices for Windows 10 Fall Creators Editions?

Kind Regards.

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)
I can confirm the above behavior, and I was actually just about to create a thread for a different Fall Creators notification issue because I've also noticed that the full name of Reflect in those notifications gets lost somehow, as shown below, seemingly just after running on Win10 1709 for a while.

I initially noticed this a few days after updating to Win10 1709 RTM, which I did several days ago thanks to Microsoft leaking the links to download the final image from Windows Update.  For unrelated reasons, I restored my system to an image captured immediately after having updated from 1703 RTM to 1709 RTM, and the notifications appeared as expected again.  I then allowed the KB4041994 update to install as it had before, and the notifications still appeared as expected -- and yet now 2 days later, without having installed any Windows or Reflect updates in the meantime, the notifications are broken.  I also noticed a brand new KB4043961 update available today, but installing that and restarting did not fix it.

I'm certain this is the result of some buggy Microsoft background task, but if there's anything Macrium can do to pick up their slack, I'm sure customers would appreciate it.  All screenshots below come from a system running the latest release of V7 (sorry for crashing a V6 thread!), and in all cases, the "Microsoft.Explorer.Notification" text is supposed to read "Macrium Reflect Disk Imaging and Backup".

- The first is the result of manually running a definition file from the Reflect GUI.
- The second is the result of calling a definition file that not loaded in the Reflect GUI via the command line, which apparently doesn't show the definition file name and also swaps the position of the "Backup started / Background backup" messages.  Can this be fixed just for consistency, i.e. Line #1 reads "Background backup started" and Line #2 reads "Macrium Reflect" if the definition file can't be displayed under this condition?
- The third is the Notification Center.

https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/f358748f-809b-47a7-9ef4-f626.png

https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/c3913073-4f28-4dd6-b95c-c3eb.png

https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/d3b61825-8a41-438a-8383-41ff.png

Edited 18 October 2017 12:46 AM by jphughan
Chris-G
Chris-G
New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)
I may have a fix for this.
One of the problems is that Macrium is not listed under the 'Get notifications from these senders' in the Notifications section, so notifications can't be modified.  I have noticed though that Macrium is listed when a backup task is running.
i.e. When a backup task is running:  From Action Centre>All Settings>System>Notification & Actions, on the RHS under 'Get notifications from these senders' there should now be an entry 'Macrium Reflect Disk Imaging and Backup'.  Left click on this entry (Not the Switch) and then turn off the switch 'Show notifications in Action Centre'.
I'm not sure if each backup task needs setting up like this.  I modified my Scheduled task this way and the notifications no longer show in the Action Centre, however I ran a different manual backup and had to go through the same process again to stop the notifications.

Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)
@Chris-G
Thanks for posting your information on the missing Reflect entry in the 'Get notifications from these senders' area.  And with a solution to boot!  Man, had I run across this issue before reading your post it would have driven me NUTS.  Fwiw, I'm seeing the same behavior and your work-around to start a backup to access the entry worked for me as well.  What odd behavior.

OPs can help other forum searchers by highlighting (✔) an answer that resolves the issue.

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi

Please see this KB article on changes to the Notification Centre in Win 10 1709: 
https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Windows+10+Notifications+-+1709+Fall+Creators+Update

@jphughan
As noted this appears to be an internal linkage issue with notifications and apps. Unfortunately there is no API for the Notification Centre. It is designed to opaque and not maintainable outside the OS.  

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)
Fyi, the "Microsoft.Explorer.Notification" string issue shown in my screenshots has disappeared; Macrium Reflect's proper name is back in its place.  There was a Windows update that brought my Windows version to 16299.19, but I can't say for certain whether that fixed it, especially since I couldn't even figure out what exactly caused the problem to begin with.

dlorde
dlorde
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
jphughan - 22 October 2017 3:48 PM
Fyi, the "Microsoft.Explorer.Notification" string issue shown in my screenshots has disappeared; Macrium Reflect's proper name is back in its place.  There was a Windows update that brought my Windows version to 16299.19, but I can't say for certain whether that fixed it, especially since I couldn't even figure out what exactly caused the problem to begin with.

I had the same "Microsoft.Explorer.Notification" problem in the Reflect notification headers. I also saw backup failures due to a VSS registry issue. When I ran the Reflect option to fix VSS issues (it re-registers the VSS and other stuff), the notification header problem disappeared. So it looks like it was caused by a broken link in the registry (it was presumably displaying the GUID that should have led to the 'Macrium Reflect Disk Imaging and Backup' caption).
Edited 28 December 2017 5:03 PM by dlorde
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...