Scheduled Backup dates - file & image backups

Author
JBWix
New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
The scheduled backup dates for full image and file runs (all on different Saturdays at 1 am) do not always make sense although the runs are usually successful
Examples are below and a copy of the Scheduled Backup screen is attached:-

2Tb Full File backup scheduled for the 4th Saturday in each month ran at 11.05 am on Sunday 24 Sept instead of 1:00am on 23 Sept
3Tb full File backup scheduled for the 2nd Saturday each month has already run on 7th October - the first Saturday in the month. This clashed with the 3Tb Image backup which was scheduled for the first Saturday in the month (and did not start until 10:16 am according to the log)
2Tb Full Image backup scheduled for the 3rd Saturday has already run on 14th October

I am using Macrium V7.1 with Win 10 Pro Version 1703 and I am fully up-to-date
Can you help please
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/68cad11a-7e0b-481d-aa1f-e1ef.png

Attachments
Edited 16 October 2017 12:24 PM by Nick
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi 

Thanks for posting.

That is very strange, It appears that Windows Task scheduler has calculated the wrong day to run.

Can you let us know if you have changed your Windows time zone at all since creating your backup schedules?

What is your current time zone and have you recently had a daylight saving time change in your locale? 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

sts_66
sts_66
New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)
I'm having a similar problem - Task Scheduler shows my two backup XML files but only one of them is running properly - I keep setting the schedule for the one that won't execute, Task Scheduler says it's set to run, but the next day I can see it didn't actually run - this is frustrating beyond belief!

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)
If you look in Task Scheduler at the task that didn't run when it should have, what do the "Last Run Time" and "Last Run Result" fields show?  That would help identify whether the task attempted to run and failed or whether for some reason Windows didn't even try to run it in the first place.

sts_66
sts_66
New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)
jphughan - 28 November 2017 7:42 PM
If you look in Task Scheduler at the task that didn't run when it should have, what do the "Last Run Time" and "Last Run Result" fields show?  That would help identify whether the task attempted to run and failed or whether for some reason Windows didn't even try to run it in the first place.

It says "operation completed successfully", but it only works once, the night I reschedule it in Task Scheduler - on the 2nd night, it keeps failing. What's even stranger is that I checked the settings of the scheduled Macrium XML file that *does* run correctly, and I can't find any differences in how they're set up. One possible conflict may be that I use two backup apps for redundancy (both write to two external HD's) - I wonder if they butt into each other the app that started first prevents the 2nd one from starting because they're both trying to use the VSS at the same time? I've had similar problems with the secondary backup app not executing as well, but got that one fixed, just can't fix the nightly Macrium file copy operation. For a while the weekly Macrium disk image operation wasn't working either (thank god no BSOD during that period!), managed to get that fixed, which is why I'm so perplexed with this daily file copy problem.

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)
If it was a conflict between two different applications, I wouldn't expect one job to work consistently while the other one doesn't -- but what's the difference between the two XML files?  Just the different destinations?  Still, if the second execution of a given job consistently fails and you suspect an application conflict, would disabling scheduled backups from the other application long enough for two scheduled executions of Reflect be an option?

Edited 28 November 2017 11:44 PM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
I'm also still not clear about what exactly Task Scheduler says based on your answer.  You said that it says "Operation completed successfully" -- is that after a backup that did in fact complete successfully, or after a backup that failed or was missed, or both?  Here's the info I'm trying to get at here: Suppose you have a schedule that specifies backups at 10 PM every night.  You set it up on Wednesday afternoon.  It sounds like in your case, the Wednesday night backup would run, but the Thursday night backup would fail or be missed.  What I want to know is, what do the "Last Run Time" and "Last Run Result" fields say on Friday morning, after the Thursday night problem?  If the last run time shows as Wednesday night and the last run result still shows "Operation completed successfully", it means Reflect didn't even try to run on Thursday.  If on the other hand Task Scheduler shows Thursday night as the last run time and some sort of error as the last run result, can you provide the specific error message/code that's displayed in Task Scheduler?  In that case, you should also have more detailed log information available within Reflect by going to the Logs tab, selecting the correct backup type (image vs. File/Folder), selecting the date of the failed backup, and selecting the timestamp of the failed job.

Edited 28 November 2017 11:58 PM by jphughan
sts_66
sts_66
jphughan - 28 November 2017 11:56 PM
I'm also still not clear about what exactly Task Scheduler says based on your answer.  You said that it says "Operation completed successfully" -- is that after a backup that did in fact complete successfully, or after a backup that failed or was missed, or both?  Here's the info I'm trying to get at here: Suppose you have a schedule that specifies backups at 10 PM every night.  You set it up on Wednesday afternoon.  It sounds like in your case, the Wednesday night backup would run, but the Thursday night backup would fail or be missed. 

That's exactly what was happening to the one backup that wouldn't work correctly - however, I changed one property in task scheduler for it, ticked "run with highest privileges" box, and it appears everything is working now - it ran successfully last night, and Task Scheduler shows it's set to run again tonight - before, it would run once and not show the next scheduled execution time/date - think it's fixed now. Thanks for the help!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...