How to schedule an Incremental Merge?

Author
Dreamer2004
Talented Member
Talented Member (166 reputation)Talented Member (166 reputation)Talented Member (166 reputation)Talented Member (166 reputation)Talented Member (166 reputation)Talented Member (166 reputation)Talented Member (166 reputation)Talented Member (166 reputation)Talented Member (166 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I saw your new youtube videos. I'd like to perform "Incrementals Forever - Incremental Merge" with the oldest incremental rolled forward + merged with next in chain.

However, I do not find the corresponding options when I try to schedule a backup definition file. I can find the new "Synthetic Full", but not the "Incremental Merge":

http://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/5ddc435f-0ee9-476f-9666-ce68.png

Where is the merge option "hidden"?

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi

Thanks for posting. If you uncheck 'Synthetic Full' then the default is to merge (consolidate) the oldest Incrementals. Just select 'Incrementals Forever' and deselect 'Create a Synthetic Full'.

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/_Retention+Rules

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
Dreamer, what Nick described will create a baseline that will never move in time and incrementals that will merge forward in time based on your scheduling and retention.

If you use the "Synthetic Full" feature, the baseline itself will move forward in time by merging with the next incremental in the chain.  I use this feature to create a "safety umbrella" over my recent past activities.  The umbrella can be made as wide as necessary in time depending on how long you need to be protected just by selecting the proper retention # for your incrementals.  I use hourly incrementals from 0800-2200 each day and the retention is set to 30 incrementals (basically 2-days).  This way I have this "crawling" incremental umbrella that protects me for 2-days... I call it TARANTULA MODE.  I use this to protect me from RansomeWare, Virii, bad installs, MicroSloth questionable updates, etc.

Separate from that I run a fairly basic GFS scheme, primarily for data retention purposes rather than protection... although it can always be referenced, if necessary.
Edited 25 February 2015 3:19 PM by Froggie
Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
Macrium has posted a couple of videos that may help to visualize the difference:
Incrementals Forever WITHOUT Synthetic Full (Incremental Merge)
Incrementals Forever WITH Synthetic Full (Froggie's "Tarantula Mode")

Regards, Richard V. ("Arvy")
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/afc5d4fe-5d25-4e25-be94-185e.png

Dreamer2004
Dreamer2004
Talented Member
Talented Member (166 reputation)Talented Member (166 reputation)Talented Member (166 reputation)Talented Member (166 reputation)Talented Member (166 reputation)Talented Member (166 reputation)Talented Member (166 reputation)Talented Member (166 reputation)Talented Member (166 reputation)
Sure, but now I've got it: "unchecking the box: Create a Synthetic Full" prompts the "Incremental Merge" :-)
Pro: Consolidating two small incrementals should be faster than merging one full + one incremental...
Con: The baseline itself will not move forward in time ...

Edited 25 February 2015 5:35 PM by Dreamer2004
Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
Dreamer, the BASELINE merge during the use of the Synthetic Full option is VERY FAST compared to others who have tried to do this type of merge. (AX64).

Here's an example of my most recent MERGE at 1200... it took 47s with a 35+gB baseliune... don't be afraid to use it if it works better for your storage management.

http://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/87c3d5c3-24a0-4d70-89da-7163.jpg

Edited 25 February 2015 5:42 PM by Froggie
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)
Hi
Pro: Consolidating two small incrementals should be faster than merging one full + one incremental

The time taken will be approximately the same for both consolidation types. There is no time penalty for a Synthetic Full.
A synthetic full backup set will take up less space because rolling the Full forward keeps the the 1st incremental small. 
An incremental merge will allow you to go back to the date of the original Full but the first Incremental will grow in size.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Dreamer2004
Dreamer2004
Talented Member
Thank you for the clarification on this issue!

Onyst.IT
Onyst.IT
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Nick - 25 February 2015 5:47 PM
The time taken will be approximately the same for both consolidation types. There is no time penalty for a Synthetic Full.
A synthetic full backup set will take up less space because rolling the Full forward keeps the the 1st incremental small. 
An incremental merge will allow you to go back to the date of the original Full but the first Incremental will grow in size.

sorry to dig up an old post. But, would there be a significant downside when merges occur for large (730GB to be exact)? No time difference between Synthetic Full / Incremental Merge?
How about over a VPN, as that's what we're going to be doing for off-site backups.  Does the entire 730GB transfer back over the network to the server, or do it somehow append the data to the existing .mrimg file? If so that's going to take like 8 days -_- and defeats the whole purpose of seeding the files on-site. We'd literally have to configure the backups to retain a very large # of days to retain, then bring the drive on-site every 3 months or so and force a merge. Please tell me that's not how it will be. I guess if I don't get a reply, I'll find out soon enough.

Thanks

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Hi 

Thanks for posting.

Does the entire 730GB transfer back over the network to the server, or do it somehow append the data to the existing .mrimg file?

The consolidation is performed non-destructively and in-place, so the entire image file isn't read.  What is read back, and used to create the synthetic Full, is the index from the Full and the Inc,  2 x 100MB, and the imaged blocks in the Inc. This obviously depends of the size of the Inc.  Whether this is acceptable depends on the speed of your VPN and the size of the Incs.

You can make this more efficient by ensuring the 'Delta Incrementals' are turned on.  http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Delta+Indexes+for+Incremental+Backups

The Synthetic Full will grow to the size of the Full + 1st Inc consolidated. Thereafter, the free space gained by rolling forward is used to accommodate the next Incremental merge, and so on. By doing it this way consolidation failures, such as caused by network outages, can be rolled-back to the last state and the Synthetic Full doesn't continually grow in size. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited 16 March 2017 5:03 PM by Nick
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...