Site Manager - Definition Rules

Author
dcol
New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Using site manager, I see there is only one rule per each definition allowed. So that allows you to make just 7 definitions each with a different rule.
Wouldn't be so bad if you could manually deselect partitions for individual computers.
Not every computer has the same purpose and require their own set of rules.

Some of my computers just need to be backed up one a week while others one a day, but need the same rules. Is there a way to do this in site manager?
Can site manager be used to monitor backups set up on the individual computers?
Unless I can figure this out, Site Manager seems only useful if every computer it is backing up needs the exact same type of backup.

et_and_family
et_and_family
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (340 reputation)Proficient Member (340 reputation)Proficient Member (340 reputation)Proficient Member (340 reputation)Proficient Member (340 reputation)Proficient Member (340 reputation)Proficient Member (340 reputation)Proficient Member (340 reputation)Proficient Member (340 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
The following web page describes how to edit a backup definition in the Macrium Site Manager: https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/MSM/Setup+-+Backup+Definitions

In the left side of the web page you can select scheduling backups etc
Edited 14 October 2017 4:59 PM by et_and_family
Alex
Alex
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (87 reputation)Macrium Representative (87 reputation)Macrium Representative (87 reputation)Macrium Representative (87 reputation)Macrium Representative (87 reputation)Macrium Representative (87 reputation)Macrium Representative (87 reputation)Macrium Representative (87 reputation)Macrium Representative (87 reputation)
Group: Moderators
dcol - 13 October 2017 6:33 PM
Using site manager, I see there is only one rule per each definition allowed. So that allows you to make just 7 definitions each with a different rule.
Wouldn't be so bad if you could manually deselect partitions for individual computers.
Not every computer has the same purpose and require their own set of rules.

Some of my computers just need to be backed up one a week while others one a day, but need the same rules. Is there a way to do this in site manager?
Can site manager be used to monitor backups set up on the individual computers?
Unless I can figure this out, Site Manager seems only useful if every computer it is backing up needs the exact same type of backup.

Hi,
Each Backup Definition can have any of the available rules added, once each. For rules like the partitions with name rule, you can configure multiple names inside the rule configuration. For example, if you want to backup partitions labelled 'Data' and 'Accounts', you can add once 'Partitions with matching labels' rule with both names instead of two of the same rule with one name each.

When scheduling backups into a repository under the 'Repositories' tab, you can add Backup Definition and Schedule pairs in whatever combinations are useful - so if you have two groups of computers, each with different rules for what to back up, you could create two backup definitions with different rules and one schedule and then schedule Definition A / Schedule A and Definition B / Schedule A in the repository. For the case you mention where two sets of computers need the same rules with different schedules, the easiest way is to create one Backup Definition, then use the 'Copy' button to copy it and modify the computer list. 

Also, so long as the Agent is connected and the computer in the 'Managed' state, any manually run or locally scheduled backups or restores by a standalone Reflect install will be monitored in Site Manager.

Regards,
Alex
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...