Expand info in one-time MIG dialog

Author
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Given that there have already been at least 4 threads created by members who were puzzled as to why they could no longer delete backup files in Windows Explorer, I wonder if the dialog shown the first time Reflect launches after MIG is installed (shown here) should be altered/expanded to read, "Macrium Image Guardian is now protecting backup files on your local destination drives. While active, attempts to modify or delete backup files from outside Macrium applications will be blocked as a safeguard against malware. It is still possible to delete backup files from within Reflect while MIG is active, and Robocopy is also allowed by default under certain conditions."

I know there will always be people who click OK on dialogs without reading them, but I think that information would get more people's attention and perhaps prompt them to "please click here" for more information farther down in that dialog.  In fact if there's a way to keep that hyperlink active while moving that text into the main area of the dialog, rather than underneath OK where it is farther outside the user's field of vision, that might be even better.  Better still would be if the error message shown when attempting to delete a file in Windows Explorer specifically mentioned Macrium Image Guardian, but I'm guessing that OS design constraints preclude that option?

Edited 20 November 2017 6:28 PM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Bumping this thread since users seem to continue to be surprised by being blocked from deleting backups within Windows Explorer.  My guess is that for every one thread created asking why older backups can't be deleted, there are more users who are similarly stymied even if they don't bother to post to the forum.

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)
Group: Administrators
jphughan - 20 November 2017 6:22 PM
Bumping this thread since users seem to continue to be surprised by being blocked from deleting backups within Windows Explorer.  My guess is that for every one thread created asking why older backups can't be deleted, there are more users who are similarly stymied even if they don't bother to post to the forum.

Thanks, you are correct and  we'll improve the communication in a future update. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...