Error code 0x8000ffff Failed-Retrying without VSS Writers

Author
IronZorg89
New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I always make a system image backup right after any update and/or upgrade of MR. Just after updating to the latest version V. 7.1.2614 today, I had this error code (Failed-0x8000ffff-retrying without VSS writers) which I have never seen before. It appeared on both of my PCs, but didn't prevent the backup to go to full completion. I was wondering if that was caused by the update, and if so, how do I fix it?. Any help from a moderator or any other member of this forum, who has experienced the same issue, would be really appreciated. Please, see also the seen screenshot attached.

Attachments
MR Error Code 0x8000ffff.JPG (5 views, 86.00 KB)
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)
Have you tried just restarting the PC and reattempting the image?  I have some issues creating a viBoot VM but they went away that way and have not returned after numerous tests.  Also, you posted this in the V6 section, not V7.  And just for future reference, if you use the Insert Image feature rather than Add File, images you upload will display embedded in the post.

Edited 29 September 2017 10:00 PM by jphughan
IronZorg89
IronZorg89
New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)New Member (31 reputation)
jphughan - 29 September 2017 9:57 PM
Have you tried just restarting the PC and reattempting the image?  I have some issues creating a viBoot VM but they went away that way and have not returned after numerous tests.  Also, you posted this in the V6 section, not V7.  And just for future reference, if you use the Insert Image feature rather than Add File, images you upload will display embedded in the post.

I haven't tried reattempting the image yet. From the time of my first post to now, the PC has been restarted many times already. So, I will just tried to make another system image backup to see what gives, and I will post back. Now, with regard to the viBoot VM, I remember during installation of the latest version, there was a window where one was asked to check the features to install. There were four of them already pre-checked except one regarding exactly the viBoot VM. It was unticked and I left it just like that. I don't know if that could be the cause of the error.

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)
Interesting. Everything was checked when I ran the update, although maybe that’s because I already had viBoot and CBT, and MIG was of course new. Anyhow, I haven’t been able to reproduce the error I saw the first two times, even though I’ve tried several more times since then, so I’m not too worried about it.
Edited 30 September 2017 11:24 PM by jphughan
IronZorg89
IronZorg89
jphughan - 30 September 2017 11:23 PM
Interesting. Everything was checked when I ran the update, although maybe that’s because I already had viBoot and CBT, and MIG was of course new. Anyhow, I haven’t been able to reproduce the error I saw the first two times, even though I’ve tried several more times since then, so I’m not too worried about it.

Living up to my commitment, I have just finished doing another system image backup. This time around, the error was no where to be seen (See attachment: screenshot). So according to your advice, it's a good thing to always restart the computer after an update/upgrade before making a system image backup. I'll keep that in mind. So, everything seems to be back to normal and I am not worrying anymore about it. Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer to my query.
As far as I am concerned, this case has been resolved and this thread can be closed. Smile

Attachments
Fairlight2cx
Fairlight2cx
New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)
I know what's causing it on my system:

Failed:    Failed - 0x8000ffff - Retrying without VSS Writers

This happened two nights in a row.  The cause?  VMware Workstation Pro 14 had at least one VM running.  I turned all the VMs off last night, and it ran without producing that error.

The backups were succeeding, but with that error in the middle.  After I turned off all VMs, they succeeded without errors, as they had prior to starting to use VMware Workstation Pro 14.

This needs to be addressed.

jphughan
jphughan
Fairlight2cx - 12 April 2018 5:06 PM
I know what's causing it on my system:

Failed:    Failed - 0x8000ffff - Retrying without VSS Writers

This happened two nights in a row.  The cause?  VMware Workstation Pro 14 had at least one VM running.  I turned all the VMs off last night, and it ran without producing that error.

The backups were succeeding, but with that error in the middle.  After I turned off all VMs, they succeeded without errors, as they had prior to starting to use VMware Workstation Pro 14.

This needs to be addressed.

Replied in the new thread you created.
Fairlight2cx
Fairlight2cx
New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)
So where do I get a VSS writer for VMware Workstation Pro 14?  I can't seem to find anything in the VMware KB.

jphughan
jphughan
Note: You replied here to posts that I wrote in your own thread, but since we're here now...

VMware would have to develop a VSS writer themselves and include it with Workstation; it wouldn't be something created by a third party.  I couldn't find anything in their KB articles about this either, only articles discussing how VMware ESXi can trigger VSS snapshots within guests to assist with its own VM snapshot capabilities.  I admit I'm surprised that I can't find anything about host VSS errors when VMs are running though.  If you haven't already, you might want to post this question on the VMware forums and/or contact VMware support to ask if taking VSS snapshots of a Windows host while VMware Workstation VMs are running is supported.  If they say yes, then they may be able to help you troubleshoot your particular installation.  If they say no, then unfortunately that would be your answer, at least until they decide to support this.  If that's a dealbreaker, then you may want to experiment with Hyper-V to see if it meets your needs, assuming you're running a Pro or better edition of Windows 8 or above.

Edited 12 April 2018 7:11 PM by jphughan
Fairlight2cx
Fairlight2cx
jphughan - 12 April 2018 6:49 PM
VMware would have to develop a VSS writer themselves and include it with Workstation; it wouldn't be something created by a third party.  I couldn't find anything in their KB articles about this either, only articles discussing how VMware ESXi can trigger VSS snapshots within guests to assist with its own VM snapshot capabilities.  I admit I'm surprised that I can't find anything about host VSS errors when VMs are running though.  If you haven't already, you might want to post this question on the VMware forums and/or contact VMware support to ask if taking VSS snapshots of a Windows host while VMware Workstation VMs are running is supported.  If they say yes, then they may be able to help you troubleshoot your particular installation.  If they say no, then unfortunately that would be your answer, at least until they decide to support this.  If that's a dealbreaker, then you may want to experiment with Hyper-V to see if it meets your needs, assuming you're running a Pro or better edition of Windows 8 or above.

I've dealt with the attrocity which is Hyper-V.  No thanks.  :b~~~

I'll see about the VMware forums.  Apparently you can't contact technical support to save your soul.  Ugh.  Another (mostly) decent product from a decidedly crappy company who thinks they're above dealing with their customers...

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...