Option to temporarily suspend MIG (with automatic re-enabling)

Author
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
The full discussion of this idea is found in this thread, but in brief, I believe it would be worthwhile to offer a way for users to suspend MIG such that it will automatically re-enable after a certain period of time or after an event, such as restarting the PC.  It might even be worth putting a MIG button in the button bar for this purpose for exposure and convenience, next to the "Check for Updates" button.  Allowing robocopy to bypass MIG protection by default was clever and will surely cover several people's use cases, but there will undoubtedly still be scenarios where users may need to turn MIG off temporarily -- but in those cases, it's easy to imagine users getting distracted and forgetting to turn protection back on later.  Given that Reflect already installs a Windows service, I'm wondering if it could be leveraged to perform the automatic re-enabling of this proposed "suspend" feature without too much effort.

Edited 4 November 2017 7:29 PM by jphughan
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi JP

Thanks for the feedback

Backup drives are automatically protected when the MIG service is restarted, or another backup is made to the drive, regardless of the previous state of the MIG setting. So this will go someway to help those who turn off and forget to turn back on. 

Initially we didn't want to expose any other method of disabling that could be compromised, but adding a 'turn off for a period' setting is a good idea and something we'll look into

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)
Hey Nick,

Good info!  I didn't realize MIG would automatically be re-enabled when the service was restarted, although I notice that in the Services MMC snap-in, the typically available Start/Stop/Restart controls are hidden or grayed out for MIG, and even PowerShell throws an error trying to stop it.  So I guess from a practical standpoint, MIG would automatically be re-enabled on reboot.  I initially thought that might be a problem for people who really did want it permanently disabled, but I suppose they can choose simply not to install that component in the first place, in which case I think setting automatic re-enabling on restart makes a lot of sense.  So far I'm very impressed with how well this was thought out in terms of exposure during the installer to minimize surprises when trying to delete backup files in Explorer (the thread already in the forum reporting this "problem" notwithstanding!), the built-in exemption for Robocopy, now this automatic start on reboot, etc. Nicely done! Smile

RayG
RayG
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (492 reputation)Advanced Member (492 reputation)Advanced Member (492 reputation)Advanced Member (492 reputation)Advanced Member (492 reputation)Advanced Member (492 reputation)Advanced Member (492 reputation)Advanced Member (492 reputation)Advanced Member (492 reputation)
@Nick, Just sent you a PM on the subject of restarting MIG

Regards
RayG
Windows10 X64 V1803 B17134.166 MR v7.1.3317

Edited 29 September 2017 1:47 PM by RayG
jphughan
jphughan
I returned to this one while perusing my "Aggregated quick win feature requests" thread.  Since my last post here, Macrium added a way to permanently disable MIG in order to address scenarios where keeping it disabled across restarts was required but removing MIG entirely wasn't desirable, but the risk on the opposite end of the spectrum persists, namely that for systems that run 24/7 and are seldom rebooted, a user might disable MIG to complete some task and forget to re-enable it afterward, which would leave them vulnerable for a potentially long period of time.

Therefore, based on how the MIG settings UI currently exists today, if this feature is still under consideration, I would propose accommodating it by making the following changes:

- Remove the "Restart service on reboot checkbox", and in its place, add a dropdown with the following options:
  • For 1 hour
  • For 4 hours
  • For 24 hours
  • Until system restart
  • Permanently
​​​- Code the UI so that if MIG was previously suspended and the user returns to the UI while that suspension is still active, the dropdown will show the originally selected suspension period, even if it was time-based.  In the time-based case, clicking OK in the UI would reset the timer, so perhaps for this scenario, add a line of text under/beside that dropdown that says, "MIG will automatically resume in X minutes/hours", to hint that clicking Cancel will preserve the existing timer.​​
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)
Group: Administrators
jphughan - 4 November 2017 7:43 PM
I returned to this one while perusing my "Aggregated quick win feature requests" thread.  Since my last post here, Macrium added a way to permanently disable MIG in order to address scenarios where keeping it disabled across restarts was required but removing MIG entirely wasn't desirable, but the risk on the opposite end of the spectrum persists, namely that for systems that run 24/7 and are seldom rebooted, a user might disable MIG to complete some task and forget to re-enable it afterward, which would leave them vulnerable for a potentially long period of time.

Therefore, based on how the MIG settings UI currently exists today, if this feature is still under consideration, I would propose accommodating it by making the following changes:

- Remove the "Restart service on reboot checkbox", and in its place, add a dropdown with the following options:
  • For 1 hour
  • For 4 hours
  • For 24 hours
  • Until system restart
  • Permanently
- Code the UI so that if MIG was previously suspended and the user returns to the UI while that suspension is still active, the dropdown will show the originally selected suspension period, even if it was time-based.  In the time-based case, clicking OK in the UI would reset the timer, so perhaps for this scenario, add a line of text under/beside that dropdown that says, "MIG will automatically resume in X minutes/hours", to hint that clicking Cancel will preserve the existing timer.

Thanks for the suggestion. We'll look into it.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...