Is CMC Free forever?

Author
siringo
New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Just starting to look at the CMC.
What I've read on the web site says it's free, but then offers 30 day trials. Why if something is free would it be on trial?
If it's not free, where can I obtain pricing information?

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)
Looking at this page that includes pricing, it appears that CMC is sold only with the starter kit that includes 1 Server and 5 Workstation licenses.  Maybe a trial exists for people who don't even have a licensed version of Reflect yet?  If you already have licensed Reflect installations and now want to add only CMC to start managing your existing installations centrally, I'm not sure how that would work since there doesn't seem to be anything on the site that covers that "retrofit" scenario.

Edited 18 September 2017 3:15 AM by jphughan
siringo
siringo
New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)New Member (24 reputation)
jphughan - 18 September 2017 3:11 AM
Looking at this page that includes pricing, it appears that CMC is sold only with the starter kit that includes 1 Server and 5 Workstation licenses.  Maybe a trial exists for people who don't even have a licensed version of Reflect yet?  If you already have licensed Reflect installations and now want to add only CMC to start managing your existing installations centrally, I'm not sure how that would work since there doesn't seem to be anything on the site that covers that "retrofit" scenario.

That would be a bit odd, not being able to use a management console post rollout.
I have about 12 nodes, servers & workstations that I want to manage / monitor centrally, all licensed all paid for versions. 
I looked at that page and looked at the Workstation Bundle thinking that maybe I need to purchase extra agents that install on the machines that get backed up, so they can talk to the management centre. Holy cow, if that's the case it would be cheaper to swap to a competitors product that comes with this functionality already.

I don't find it very easy to understand, there seems to be a Central Management Console, & a Site Manager, a central site manager and it looks to me like you need to install an additional device as a node that hosts this software so the management console can access it all.

Very confusing.
Alex
Alex
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (26 reputation)Macrium Representative (26 reputation)Macrium Representative (26 reputation)Macrium Representative (26 reputation)Macrium Representative (26 reputation)Macrium Representative (26 reputation)Macrium Representative (26 reputation)Macrium Representative (26 reputation)Macrium Representative (26 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi siringo,
Hopefully I can clear up some of those points of confusion - firstly, the CMC is undergoing a name change to Site Manager in the next release - it seems that parts of our website have been prematurely updated. This should be cleared up in some upcoming website updates. There is only a single product, Central Management Console, which will upgrade to Site Manager in the next major release. 
The trial licenses refer to Macrium Agent Licenses (MALs) - these are required to manage computers which do not have existing licensed editions of Macrium Reflect installed. Whether a computer needs one or not is determined by the Macrium Reflect license status of the computer being added:
  • Managing Computers with full licensed (non-trial) installations of Macrium Reflect - these computers can be managed by the CMC with no additional licensing, free of charge. After adding the computer to the CMC and installing the CMC agent, the CMC will automatically detect the license and allow all CMC management functions for that computer.
  • Computers with no Reflect installation - these computers require a license to back up and manage in CMC, this is achieved by purchasing a Macrium Agent License (MAL) from Macrium and adding this license to the CMC. Then when the CMC agent is installed on the computer, it will consume one license seat from the pool of available MAL seats. 
These licensing models can be mixed - so if you have 20 computers you want to manage with a single CMC and 10 of them already have Macrium Reflect workstation edition installed and licensed, only the remaining 10 computers would need Macrium Agent Licenses.
I hope this clears some things up, let me know if it doesn't or you have more questions!

Edited 18 September 2017 1:27 PM by Alex
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)
Hey Alex,

Based on your description above, it would appear that the OP is correct that CMC/Site Manager application itself is not a separately purchased and licensed product, e.g. if the user already has standalone Reflect licenses for all of the clients to be managed, then CMC/Site Manager could be installed and deployed to gain central management functionality as a free bonus.  And future client licenses could be acquired either as MALs or by further standalone license purchases. Can you confirm?

Another question that just occurred to me: Suppose a user buys 5 MALs, deploys CMC, pushes Reflect to 5 workstations, and then for whatever reason wishes to remove CMC from the environment permanently.  Would those 5 Reflect workstation licenses continue to work as regular standalone licenses?  If yes, would the workstation users also be able to uninstall Reflect (and the CMC agent component) and reinstall it through the standard download agent method, or do Reflect licenses acquired as MALs have to be deployed and activated via CMC?

Edited 18 September 2017 4:39 PM by jphughan
Alex
Alex
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (26 reputation)Macrium Representative (26 reputation)Macrium Representative (26 reputation)Macrium Representative (26 reputation)Macrium Representative (26 reputation)Macrium Representative (26 reputation)Macrium Representative (26 reputation)Macrium Representative (26 reputation)Macrium Representative (26 reputation)
jphughan - 18 September 2017 4:16 PM
Hey Alex,

Based on your description above, it would appear that the OP is correct that CMC/Site Manager application itself is not a separately purchased and licensed product, e.g. if the user already has standalone Reflect licenses for all of the clients to be managed, then CMC/Site Manager could be installed and deployed to gain central management functionality as a free bonus.  And future client licenses could be acquired either as MALs or by further standalone license purchases. Can you confirm?

Another question that just occurred to me: Suppose a user buys 5 MALs, deploys CMC, pushes Reflect to 5 workstations, and then for whatever reason wishes to remove CMC from the environment permanently.  Would those 5 Reflect workstation licenses continue to work as regular standalone licenses?  If yes, would the workstation users also be able to uninstall Reflect (and the CMC agent component) and reinstall it through the standard download agent method, or do Reflect licenses acquired as MALs have to be deployed and activated via CMC?

Hi,

I can confirm that you are correct about the CMC application - the application itself is free to download, install and use with no licensing required. It can be used to manage an existing deployment of Reflect installations with no additional cost. You are also correct that after installation, the two different licensing models can be mixed freely to add new managed computers to the CMC. 

To your second question, computers which are licensed using MALs require an active connection to the CMC server to perform backups as the CMC is managing the licensing for the computer. This means that if the computer is dropped from the CMC, the CMC server is offline or the network is down, the computer will not be able to take backups. It will however be able to restore backups via rescue media without connection to the CMC server.

In your scenario, to remove the 5 computers from being centrally managed by the CMC, simply drop the computers from the CMC. The CMC will immediately release those 5 MAL seats for use by other computers and the CMC  Agent on those computers will stop working. This can be done even if those computers are offline. A benefit of using MALs for clients which are permanently connected to the network is that all licensing work is done on the server so there is never a need to deactivate or transfer licenses on the client computer manually as you currently have to with standalone Macrium Reflect licenses.

Hope this answers things,
Alex

jphughan
jphughan
Hey Alex,

Very cool to hear that CMC does not require separate licensing.  That's a very nice perk for people who already own multiple licenses! Smile

In terms of my second question, your post explained how I would remove PCs from the CMC and repurpose those freed up licenses for other PCs, which would then become managed by the CMC.  But the scenario I was inquiring about was this: If I buy Reflect licenses as MALs and later decide that I no longer want to have CMC exist in my environment at all, but I still want to keep using those Reflect licenses I purchased as MALs in standalone mode, will MAL-based licenses continue operating in standalone fashion after CMC is removed, and if not, is there some "MAL to standalone" license conversion path to accommodate this scenario?  Based on your post above that MALs require ongoing connectivity to the CMC, it sounds like the answer to the former is "no".  But in terms of the latter, would Macrium Licensing be able to assist a user in the scenario I described above who no longer wanted CMC but did not want to write off the cost of the Reflect licenses they'd purchased as MALs? Or is it the case that if a user buys Reflect licenses as MALs, they'd better be certain they'll be keeping CMC in their environment permanently, because otherwise those MAL-based Reflect licenses would become unusable with no recourse?

Alex
Alex
Macrium Representative
jphughan - 19 September 2017 3:37 PM
Hey Alex,

Very cool to hear that CMC does not require separate licensing.  That's a very nice perk for people who already own multiple licenses! Smile

In terms of my second question, your post explained how I would remove PCs from the CMC and repurpose those freed up licenses for other PCs, which would then become managed by the CMC.  But the scenario I was inquiring about was this: If I buy Reflect licenses as MALs and later decide that I no longer want to have CMC exist in my environment at all, but I still want to keep using those Reflect licenses I purchased as MALs in standalone mode, will MAL-based licenses continue operating in standalone fashion after CMC is removed, and if not, is there some "MAL to standalone" license conversion path to accommodate this scenario?  Based on your post above that MALs require ongoing connectivity to the CMC, it sounds like the answer to the former is "no".  But in terms of the latter, would Macrium Licensing be able to assist a user in the scenario I described above who no longer wanted CMC but did not want to write off the cost of the Reflect licenses they'd purchased as MALs? Or is it the case that if a user buys Reflect licenses as MALs, they'd better be certain they'll be keeping CMC in their environment permanently, because otherwise those MAL-based Reflect licenses would become unusable with no recourse?

Hi,
You're correct that MAL licenses require the CMC and can't be used as for any standalone Reflect installation - this is reflected in the price points of the different licenses! I'd recommend anyone with concerns about whether they want to use MAL licensing long term talks to our sales or support team about conducting a trial before committing. 

There is a 'halfway house' available - to help in transitioning from standalone licensing to server managed MAL licenses, a standalone Reflect license can be used as a MAL - in this scenario, you would add a standalone key to the CMC, but NOT use it to install Reflect. The CMC will count the license as a MAL with 1 seat and allow a single computer to be managed. If the CMC is removed at a later date, these keys can be used as standalone keys again.

Alex

jphughan
jphughan
Perfect.  I thought the lower MAL pricing might mean that they couldn't be used as completely standalone licenses, but figured it would be worth clarifying.  Thanks for the detailed explanations! Smile

siringo
siringo
Thanks for the input guys, that has cleared things up quite a bit.
So I will be able to manage all my individually licensed servers & PCs with CMC and they will also be able to backup should access to the CMC be not available for whatever reason.

I spent some time yesterday trying to add a PC to the CMC from subnet that the CMC is not on. The CMC wouldn't display / work / show it at all.

I installed the remote agent manually on the PC and also ran that 'preinstall' program as well.

I can ping the remote PC from the CMC.

Is there something I have overlooked???

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...