Vintage MR backup image on DVDs

Author
dyhs
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am trying to examine a very old (almost 9 years) MR backup imagine of a disk, stored in a set of two DVDs.
Because of the dates, I assume it was made with Macrium Reflect 4.
The .mrimg files are named something like NAME01.mrimg and NAME02.mrimg.
If I open NAME02.mrimg (in the second and last DVD) in MR6.3 - Restore, I can see the partitions alright, but if I try to explore a partition I get this error message.
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/73848545-8f3f-4150-8618-5f6d.png

I also tried to verify the image. Verification process starts, but can't locate a file with numeric name [ImageID]-00-00.mrimg
It can't find it on the first DVD either.
I tried both in Windows and in Rescue Environment.

I believe the issue may lie in the names, so I am going to copy (to hard disk? or should I burn new DVDs?) and rename the two .mrimg files to ImageID-00-00.mrimg and ImageID-01-01.mrimg
I don't know why the original files were named Name01 and Name02 in the first place.

Besides, is there a way to determine the exact MR version that was used to perform a backup image, in case that piece of information might help? If I open the last .mrimg file in a hexadecimal editor I can spot the name of the first partition, but that's all. 

Edited 30 August 2017 2:05 PM by dyhs
dyhs
dyhs
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)
I found out I could explore the image after I copied both files to hard disk. No need to rename them. Smile 
I think they were created on hard drive originally, then they were copied to DVD.
Edited 30 August 2017 2:37 PM by dyhs
Seekforever
Seekforever
Expert
Expert (662 reputation)Expert (662 reputation)Expert (662 reputation)Expert (662 reputation)Expert (662 reputation)Expert (662 reputation)Expert (662 reputation)Expert (662 reputation)Expert (662 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
If you haven't, copy both DVDs to a single folder and try again using the folder copies.
Edit: Oops! You beat me to it. Glad it worked.

Edited 30 August 2017 2:40 PM by Seekforever
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi @dyhs

Thanks for posting. 

I'm afraid you can't browse an image file that's split across multiple DVD's. Please copy the contents of both DVD's to a single folder on a local disk. This will enable browsing. 

Restoration from DVD's involves loading the last disk first to load the index, you will be then prompted to load the DVD's in sequence during the restore process. The same logic applies to verification.

The filename is not used when loading the files. The original name is used when prompting to locate, but, if the file has been renamed it doesn't matter, as long as the file is found it will be loaded. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

dyhs
dyhs
Proficient Member
Thanks Nick and Seekforever.
Edited 30 August 2017 6:21 PM by dyhs
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...