Cluster Run Error 6

Author
tomf2
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
This is my first time to post on a forum. I saw another post on this topic but wasn't sure how to add my issue. I determined that my System Partition is 1 and followed the directions to assign a letter K to that partition. After I did DISKPART> assign letter = K, I got the following message: "There is no volume specified. Please select a volume and try again." Nothing in the instructions given by Nick at Macrium Support mentions anything about a "volume." How do I find out which volume I need to select and how do I then select it?

tomf2
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)
The terms "partition" and "volume" can usually be used interchangeably.  Technically there's a partition type that can contain multiple volumes, but primary partitions, which are used most commonly (and exclusively on GPT disks) can only contain a single volume.

In terms of your error, that's usually caused by running the "assign" command before you've run both "select disk x" and then "select partition x", both times substituting a number for X.  Did you perhaps only enter "list partition" beforehand to determine the partition number of interest and forget to enter the command to actually select it? Once you get your letter assigned, you would exit diskpart and then enter "chkdsk /r x:", again substituting the assigned drive letter for X.  You may also find it easier to do all of this from within the Rescue Media environment, since not all partitions can be scanned while Windows is booted.

If you're still having trouble, can you post either a screenshot or the text output of your entire diskpart session, including the output from the "list partition" command after selecting the correct disk?

Edited 29 August 2017 3:10 AM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)
In addition to the above, I found the post I wrote for someone else who was having this exact issue and needed to assign letters to partitions that didn't receive them by default, in case it helps you: https://forum.macrium.com/FindPost14021.aspx

Edited 29 August 2017 3:29 AM by jphughan
tomf2
tomf2
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
Thank you. The problem seems to be resolved now. When I ran the chkdsk it looked like there was a problem in a Dell partition. I answered "no" to a question did I want to put it into a file, and Windows proceeded to correct the issue. I also carried out the final step of removing the K: drive letter. Then I did a successful image of everything.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...