All running fin, except for 'wake from sleep' - pwd

Author
DomA
New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all,
So everything has been running well now under testing, except whenever I set win 10 to sleep
After some further tests, I think it's waking, but hits the splash page and waits for user password.
Is there a way to store that password in a script or setting somewhere?

Edited 24 August 2017 3:48 PM by DomA
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)
DomA - 24 August 2017 3:47 PM
Hi all,
So everything has been running well now under testing, except whenever I set win 10 to sleep
After some further tests, I think it's waking, but hits the splash page and waits for user password.
Is there a way to store that password in a script or setting somewhere?

Are you sure Reflect isn't still running in the background?  Unlocking the workstation isn't required for background tasks to run, nor would it be a good security practice for a background task to automatically allow physical access to the PC.

Edited 24 August 2017 5:33 PM by jphughan
DomA
DomA
New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)
Yeah, seeing some varying results. I'll keep testing it out.

Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)
Are you talking about the Windows Lock Screen?  If so the following information may apply to you.

By default, Reflect v7 runs scheduled backup tasks using the SYSTEM account which does not require that a user be logged in.  If you're using the SYSTEM account to run your scheduled backups and backups aren't starting due to the Lock Screen then yeah, something else is amiss.  You can check from within the Reflect GUI by going to Other Tasks -> Edit Defaults... -> Schedule.  If the option "Use the Windows SYSTEM account to run scheduled tasks is NOT checked, then the User Name (MYCCOMPUTERNAME\myusername) and Password fields must be filled out for an admin account.  If you have not been running backups using the SYSTEM account and change Reflect to do so it may require you to update your backup definition files.  To verify that specific backup tasks are running using the SYSTEM account you should run Windows Task Scheduler as admin and check the specific Reflect entries there.

If you're not running your backups under SYSTEM and don't want to for whatever reason, you could set Win10 to not require sign-in when the PC wakes from sleep.  Under an administrator account this option can be adjusted by opening the start menu and typing sign-in.

OPs can help other forum searchers by highlighting (✔) an answer that resolves the issue.

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)
Gork, even if he's running scheduled backups under his own account rather than SYSTEM, the workstation does not have to be unlocked in order for background tasks to run. Locking the workstation just prevents it from being controlled via the local keyboard and mouse; it does not freeze all background activity until it's unlocked, even if it just woke up from sleep. And even if he were using a user account that is neither SYSTEM nor the logged-on user, it should still be working because Reflect doesn't require an interactive logon in order to run.
Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)
As long as the user name and pw to an admin account is filled out in the defaults for Reflect, yes?  Though setting Win10 to not require sign-in wouldn't help in running scheduled tasks it's still an available option.

OPs can help other forum searchers by highlighting (✔) an answer that resolves the issue.

jphughan
jphughan
Gork - 25 August 2017 2:38 AM
s long as the user name and pw to an admin account is filled out in the defaults for Reflect, yes?  Though setting Win10 to not require sign-in wouldn't help in running scheduled tasks it's still an available option.

Well yes you need to provide admin credentials if you're not using SYSTEM, but that's an entirely separate issue from a locked workstation. If you don't supply credentials then scheduled tasks wouldn't work under any circumstances. And while choosing not to require sign-in when resuming from standby might be convenient, it could also be a significant security issue.
DomA
DomA
Hmm, yeah I'm a bit of a pc noob having just recently switched over from mac.
It may be working in the background after all, but I want to make sure so I'll just test a little more.
If I find any further oddities I'll definitely share them.
Thanks for the help.

Gork
Gork
Guru
jphughan - 25 August 2017 3:14 AM
[quote]Gork - 25 August 2017 2:38 AMit could also be a significant security issue.

Meh, I just lock the doors if I leave my house.  Wink

DomA
DomA
Thanks for the input guys, looks like it ran last night during sleep.
I'm gonna chalk it up to anomaly and/or operator error and assume it's working correctly.
Liking the software so far, so I 'm happy all's running well.
Thanks.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...