UPDATE: Some of these are getting implemented! I've noted those below by using
I've noticed that in addition to useful feature requests being spread across several sections of this forum, some are "hidden" inside threads whose names have nothing to do with the request that eventually arose in it, so I went through the various sections of both the V6 and V7 areas of this forum to build an "omnibus" list, consisting of feature requests that meet all of the following criteria:
- Have not yet been implemented
- Would seemingly add convenience, utility, and/or some other value to a material portion of the user base
- Would seemingly require relatively little engineering investment from Macrium developers
This is by no means a list of all "worthy" feature requests still outstanding, nor necessarily the most important, but rather the "low(ish)-hanging fruit". I deliberately did not include requests that would clearly require more significant engineering effort and/or consideration as to whether the feature's benefits would justify required tradeoffs, even if those requests seemed worth said effort/tradeoffs. My hope is that Macrium can use this thread as a guide to the various "quick win" requests spread throughout this forum in order to knock many or all of them out in short order, delivering several benefits to their users at fairly low cost. Some of these requests have already received responses from Macrium, while others have not:GENERAL
- Allow clone and image/F&F restore operations to be paused in order to free up disk I/O capacity temporarily. Especially handy for clone and F&F operations where priority adjustment is not available.
- Handle network interruptions during backup/restore jobs gracefully (pause, retry, resume) rather than failing the entire job at the first interruption. Perhaps include option to specify number of retries or timeout period before abandoning job.
- Add easy and obvious way(s) to export log to HTML file (stripping license key): https://forum.macrium.com/Topic15759.aspx
- Allow filtering logs by definition file name (including "None" for ad-hoc jobs): https://forum.macrium.com/Topic16527.aspx
- Allow backup file comment to be specified on command-line (to dynamically generate comment text using PS/VBS): https://forum.macrium.com/Topic16519.aspx
- Improve wording of consolidation operation in log file: https://forum.macrium.com/Topic16663.aspx
- Improve protection of encryption passwords stored in definition files: https://forum.macrium.com/Topic16782.aspx
- Add "Verify Image" action to Windows Explorer context menu (right-click) shell extension: See geneo's post below.
- Add option to suspend MIG for a specified period of time (to avoid a user forgetting to re-enable MIG creating prolonged exposure): https://forum.macrium.com/Topic18187.aspx
- Check for updates when Reflect runs even as a scheduled task or by using the background service, then pop a system tray notification and possibly allow email notifications to advise users that updates are available (to cover use cases involving scheduled backups and/or unattended systems where there might be long periods between interactive Reflect launches or even OS logons): https://forum.macrium.com/Topic21429.aspx
- When "Enable password protection" is checked, default encryption to 128-bit rather than None: https://forum.macrium.com/Topic22657.aspx
- Add "Show characters" checkbox to the encryption password dialog when restoring backups: https://forum.macrium.com/Topic22992.aspx
- Overall UI simplification: https://forum.macrium.com/Topic15061.aspx
- Clarify naming of Edit Defaults > Scripts subcategory names that pertain exclusively to VBScript: https://forum.macrium.com/FindPost16265.aspx - Show definition file name in the "Backup started" notification, if applicable: See posts immediately below.
- Add priority slider for clone operations, as already exists for image operations.
- Support email notifications for scheduled clone jobs: https://forum.macrium.com/Topic16811.aspx
- Allow user to choose whether to clone the MBR to the destination, just as image restores already allow the user to choose whether to restore the MBR. Would help for users regularly cloning partitions from multiple source disks to a single contingency destination disk.
- Warn when selecting BitLocker partition as image source if Reflect image encryption is not enabled: https://forum.macrium.com/FindPost16545.aspx
- Add option for clone target's volume label to be created by appending/prepending the source's label with a user-specified string in order to differentiate source from target, and perhaps allow the destination label to be preserved as-is if the destination already "matches" the source (i.e. a condition where RDC can be used): https://forum.macrium.com/Topic15796.aspx
- Rename "BitLocker Removal Restore/Clone" to "BitLocker Unencrypted Restore/Clone" to more accurately describe restores/clones to empty drives and more closely align with other established terminology, e.g. "BitLocker Encrypted Restore" for restoring locked volumes.
- When cloning/restoring to a smaller destination, if the source contains only
the standard BIOS or UEFI Windows partitions, make the default "Copy selected partitions" behavior shrink the OS partition as needed to fit all selected partitions on the destination, even if a Recovery partition exists after the OS partition. This will immediately give users a viable restore/clone setup that is likely to be their desired outcome in this scenario anyway.
- For clone/restore destination partition staging, allow "staged" partitions (i.e. those that don't currently exist on the destination) to be dragged left and right along the destination disk and snapped to adjacent partitions. This would allow a user to shrink Partition 1 in staging and then drag Partition 2 to the left to avoid leaving empty space. Currently, achieving this would require shrinking Partition 1 before dragging down Partition 2 at all, which is unintuitive and makes the "Copy selected partitions" link less useful. It might also be nice to allow staged partitions to be reordered after having been dragged down to the destination.
FILE AND FOLDER
- Clarify the wording on the warning that appears when a clone/image restore will result in a BitLocker Removal operation, since the current wording is a bit ambiguous, especially on clones where it suggests that BitLocker might be removed from the source.
- Warn when a target partition that has BitLocker enabled will be restored unencrypted ("BitLocker Removal Restore"): https://forum.macrium.com/FindPost19352.aspx
- Use pick-list navigation tree for source selection (same as used for restore selection): https://forum.macrium.com/Topic10759.aspx
- Add option to restore only files that are missing: https://forum.macrium.com/Topic14365.aspxRESCUE
- Change power scheme to High Performance, which can significantly reduce backup and restore times: https://forum.macrium.com/Topic23572.aspx
- Expand keyboard shortcut support in Macrium PE Explorer: https://forum.macrium.com/Topic22596.aspx
- Add Restart option to "On Completion" dropdown in activity window: https://forum.macrium.com/Topic15820.aspx
- Warn when restoring (or running Fix Boot Problems against) an MBR disk while booted in UEFI or a GPT disk while booted in Legacy BIOS: https://forum.macrium.com/Topic15555.aspx
- Add DPI scaling support to a few remaining areas of the UI in Rescue: https://forum.macrium.com/FindPost18247.aspx
- Make main content area of the Backup and Restore wizards scroll-enabled and size the overall windows dynamically based on display resolution and scaling, including a sizing small enough that the wizard navigation buttons are visible even on systems locked to 640x480 in Rescue: https://forum.macrium.com/FindPost16975.aspx
- Modify Restart taskbar button to pop up a dialog allowing choice between Restart and Shut Down (gracefully): https://forum.macrium.com/Topic16476.aspxVIBOOT
- Add VM settings UI to add/remove additional Reflect image-based virtual disks after initial VM creation (not possible in Hyper-V Manager) and also to adjust CPU and memory settings as a convenience alternative to Hyper-V Manager if a settings UI is being built anyway: https://forum.macrium.com/FindPost16641.aspx