shut down PC from the rescue media GUI

Author
backuper
Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
When booting the rescue media I can't shut down the PC, you can only restart. It's a problem when you don't have a bootable HDD in the system and so can't boot Windows to shut down. I have to kill the PC by the on/off button ( SSDs dont like that too much) is this case or use the CMD with a some command I always have to look up.

Therefore it would be great to have a shut down option inside the bootmedia.

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
There's an option to automatically shut down at the end of a job if you start one (ironically there are Wish List threads requesting a restart option there....), but if you don't have a job running or any other activity that's generating writes to your storage, then there's no harm just killing power to a PC.  The Windows Setup interface that also uses WinPE doesn't have a shutdown option either.  If you close all of the dialog boxes there, the PC just restarts.

What's the concern specifically with SSDs?

backuper
backuper
Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)
Just to clarify. I really meant a normal button/menu entry for the shut down. Afaik that there is a long CMD for what, but this could be mapped to a button/entry, right? I don't meant shut down a after a finished job.

Regarding SSD have a look here for example, but there are also other sources:
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/169124-the-mysteriously-disappearing-drive-are-power-outages-killing-your-ssds

Edited 22 August 2017 12:46 AM by backuper
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)
That article is almost 4 years old, and it doesn't discuss what sort of activity was going on with the SSD when the power was suddenly cut.  I understand the risk of cutting power to an SSD that's actively being accessed -- same with an HDD -- but if it's just sitting there not being written or even read, that seems like a much lower risk profile.

Still, it's certainly the case that Macrium could include a button somewhere to execute a shutdown or reboot independent of any task that may be running.  I just question the necessity.

Edited 22 August 2017 12:59 AM by jphughan
Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)
The command to shut down the system isn't really all that long:
wpeutil shutdown

In case it's helpful, this was recently discussed at https://forum.macrium.com/Topic15820.aspx

OPs can help other forum searchers by highlighting (✔) an answer that resolves the issue.

Edited 23 August 2017 4:26 AM by Gork
dyhs
dyhs
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)
@Gork 
If people had a good memory and could remember all those commands, they'd use Linux all the time ;-)
As MR is a Windows program, let's make it simple and have a shutdown button. Smile

[edited poor grammar]
Edited 23 August 2017 6:58 PM by dyhs
jphughan
jphughan
dyhs - 23 August 2017 6:41 PM
@Gork 
If people had good memory to remember all those commands, they'd use PowerShell all the time ;-)
As MR is a Windows program, let's make it simple and have a shutdown button. Smile

Fixed that for you Tongue

backuper
backuper
Hey guys, of course this is no real problem. But at least for me it would be a very welcome and nice enhancement that I guess wouldn't need too much time to add. That's all. :-)

Regarding the SSD power loss problem. I'm not sure if it's so easy. Crucial for example have capacitors against power loss for "data-at-rest ",  and that a feature that not every SSD has. See also here (http://www.anandtech.com/show/8528/micron-m600-128gb-256gb-1tb-ssd-review-nda-placeholder and search "for data-at-rest" ). Are are you sure that only because the PC idles there is never something written? We also should not forget that there is internal optimization processes in a SSD. In a nut shell, could be that's not a problem. But I don't think it's a good practice to experiment with it when not needed.

jphughan
jphughan
A PC just idling in a WinPE environment should not be writing to an internal disk for any reason.  Of course somebody could customize a WinPE environment with some sort of additional background process that does, but that's not a typical scenario.  And I welcome any input from people more knowledgeable about this than I am, but does a formal WinPE shutdown process even notify disks that the system is about to shut down somehow so that they have an opportunity to prepare themselves?  If not, then there wouldn't seem to be any difference between a formal shutdown and just killing the power on an idling WinPE environment.

Edited 23 August 2017 9:09 PM by jphughan
backuper
backuper
jphughan - 23 August 2017 9:08 PM
 And I welcome any input from people more knowledgeable about this than I am, but does a formal WinPE shutdown process even notify disks that the system is about to shut down somehow so that they have an opportunity to prepare themselves?  If not, then there wouldn't seem to be any difference between a formal shutdown and just killing the power on an idling WinPE environment.

+1 and a good question :-)

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...