A few basic noob sched questions

Author
DomA
New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi All,
I recently switched from mac to PC, so I'm in the dark on a few things overall, but have a general grasp.
I've set up a scheduled backup to run at 2 am every night. I see the task in the win task scheduler.
Do I need to leave the main Macrium reflect software running all the time for this task to run?
Just wondering because there are times where I reboot and it's not set to run in startup ATM since UAC is prompting me non-stop every time it opens.
(Actually is there a way to turn UAC notification OFF for just macrium?)

Anyway, I'm 99% sure it doesn't run in BG through some other process but I wanted to ask.

Thanks.
Dom

Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)
The scheduled job in the WTS (Windows Task Scheduler) will fire up whatever's needed to execute the backup properly... no pre-task activation is required.
DomA
DomA
New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)New Member (29 reputation)
Hmm. Does that mean I can close the Macrium software?
I ran a test last night and nothing happened. Although now I'm wondering if that's because I tired to do an 'inc forever' thinking it would make a full backup first.
Maybe that just blinked out because there was no initial full backup.

So to recap, I should be able to setup a scheduled backup (testing with a basic 'full'), finish, close the app and later it should just run and complete?

DomA
DomA
So I just tested this, and it seems to work. Thanks for the help.
I guess I tried inc forever first and that's what messed me up.

How do you set that up properly? Do you just run a full backup and then schedule an inc forever?

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)
Scheduled tasks are registered with Windows itself, so as long as Windows is running, the task will execute. There's no need for the application itself to be running in the background all the time either, since the task basically says, "At this time, run Reflect and have it execute a job according to this definition file."

The proper way to set up Incrementals Forever is to just use the template.  You didn't have to run a Full manually because if your schedule had just said "Run an incremental" and nothing had been there, Reflect would automatically have performed a Full the first time, because obviously it isn't possible to have an Incremental without a Full.  But at this point, just make sure your schedule only ever creates Incrementals, and check the "Create Synthetic Full if possible" option. Not sure what happened when you said nothing happened.  If you go the Logs tab inside Reflect, is there an entry from that time?

You can't turn UAC off for individual applications, and I do not recommend completely disabling it.

Edited 18 August 2017 3:37 PM by jphughan
DomA
DomA
OK thanks for the info.
Definitely understanding the BG task sched issue better, and it's working well.

I thought I ran the inc forever template that first time, but will prob keep testing that to make sure.

Yeah, I've kept UAC on and now that I know its a BG process it's no longer a concern.
Thanks again.

Dom

DomA
DomA
Another quick noob question.

I do a lot of overnight renders. If a task is running while a render is going, how do you think that would impact it?
Like if it was a sequence of separate frames, I'm guessing it would record whatever frame it came across at that point and then move on.
Or if it was a video file, it would ignore it since it probably wasn't written to disk yet.

I know I could reschedule around the renders, but they are pretty sporadic. So I was curious if that would pose any performance/data problems.

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)
When you say "how do you think that would impact it", I'm not sure whether you're asking about the performance of the backup, the performance of the render, or the CONTENTS of the backup, so I'll address all of them.  As long as you're not doing renders of real-time incoming video (e.g. from a capture card), I can't imagine any impact to the output of the render other than perhaps the job taking longer.  Same thing with the backup, i.e. the result will be the same, but it might take longer to complete.  However, since rendering is typically more CPU-intensive than disk-intensive, and the opposite is true of backup jobs even when compression and/or encryption are enabled, you might even find that your PC can handle the backup and the render simultaneously without either one taking any longer than they would if you ran them independently.

In terms of the content of the backups, Reflect by default takes a VSS snapshot of any NTFS partition before capturing data from it, whether it's performing an image or File & Folder backup.  Any files that exist on the disk at that moment will be included in the backup.  If the render job completes in the middle of the backup, there is no possibility that it will be included in that backup.

Edited 18 August 2017 7:50 PM by jphughan
DomA
DomA
Ok great, that answers all of my questions perfectly.
Thanks again!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...