Freeze during startup

Author
Alex White
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I had one disk die yesterday, and removed it.  At the same time, I updated Reflect to the latest build. Reflect worked after the update, and worked after the disk died.
However, now I am getting a freeze during reflect startup, looks just like the KB article http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Troubleshooting+Macrium+Reflect+startup+problems
My question is when it says Analyzing Disk 6 Partition 1, is that the disk which is actually having a problem?  All disks chkdsk fine; everything is working OK on all my disks, I'm now running chkdsk /r per the KB article, but that says it is going to take another 25 hours to run.  Alternatively, it could be the following disk, Disk 7, which was the disk that died.  It seems to be working now, I've tried with it in and with it out, no difference, still hangs; in both cases just saying Disk 6.
Is there any way to start reflect telling it to bypass this disk?  I can't even kill it at this point. (Shutting down the system requires me to hit the reset button.)  I suppose I could remove both disks 6 and 7, and boot, do what I want on reflect, but surely there is a better way? Nothing else in the system is having any problems.
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/17d1387b-9858-4d2a-9ebd-7de1.jpg

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.2K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Alex

Thanks for posting. 

Please see this KB article: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Excluding+disks+when+Macrium+Reflect+starts+up

Please note that the disk number in the registry is 1 less than the disk shown in the startup splash screen.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Alex White
Alex White
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
That is nice to know, would have been nice if the splash screen agreed with the number in Disk Management, I was looking on the wrong disk.
Turns out two different disks had to be excluded.  Since they are working fine everywhere else in the system, and chkdsk shows nothing (and chkdsk /r will take a full day to run); is there any hint anywhere as to what might have gone wrong with two disks?  Any other diagnostic tool you can suggest?
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.2K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.2K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Alex

Reflect analyses the MBR and GPT partition tables and Bios Parameter Block (BPP) for each local disk. It is possible that even with corruption in the GPT partition table, that a disk can appear OK in Windows but can fail to load in Reflect. This is rare but can be caused by using utilities that do not understand GPT disk layouts and write to an area of the disk that is safe for MBR but not for GPT.  

If you're not interested in imaging these disks then I suggest you move on, otherwise you may need to re-initialise the disks using DiskPart to first clean and then reinitialise before partitioning again. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Alex White
Alex White
Hi Nick,
The more I think about this, the more I call it a Reflect BUG.  It isn't a hardware problem.  It is a data problem (i.e. GPT/BPP is bad).  Data problems should produce an error.  They should not cause a hang, especially not by a program whose job is doing image backups!  Worse, it is more than a simple hang, you can't kill Reflect, but have to boot.  You have not one, but two KB articles about the problem (one that I found about Troubleshooting Startup problems; and another, how to exclude disks during startup.)  This means that you have had probably quite a reasonable number of people waste a few hours each trying to figure out what is going on.  (i.e. since it is a hard hang, first I look for hardware problems; second I tried repairing Reflect; third looked for KB article; fourth tried the KB article fixes... all of which could have been short-cutted.)

Since it is a data problem, seems to me that Reflect could be fixed to detect the problem.  All it needs to do is give an error message pointing at a KB article, and then treat the disk as excluded, same as the registry entry.  With that fix, I'd have cut a few hours off my time.

And please link the Troubleshooting Startup Problems KB article to the Excluding Disks During Startup KB article.  Currently it says: ...there are two possible reasons... -- well no, there is a third, damaged GPT/BPP; so an extra sentence on the bottom which say that if you can't solve the problem, the disk can be excluded, see Excluding Disks KB article.

And with that, I will move on.  I just ask you to please update the KB article; and hopefully post a bug.

Thanks,
Alex.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...