Differential backup of NAS drive

Author
BobHy
New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Macrium Reflect v6 successfully backs up my NAS drive, but attempting a differential produces another full backup.
Incidentally, if I physically remove the NAS disk and connect it to a USB port on the computer it does produce a true differential.
Am I doing something wrong? If not, has v7 fixed this deficiency?
Meanwhile the free program Backupper will do both full and differential backups, but takes considerably longer. The actual differential produced by Backupper takes longer than the differential which is actually a full backup using Reflect.

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Can you post the log of the job where you attempted a Differential backup of your NAS while it was being accessed as a NAS and Reflect decided to capture a Full instead?  It might give an indication of why that happened. As far as I know, Differential File & Folder backups of a NAS share should work even on V6.

Edited 6 August 2017 3:50 PM by jphughan
BobHy
BobHy
New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)
Thank you for your offer to assist.
Attached are log files for both the full and differential backups. As you can see, both come in at 555GB.
One thing I notice in the log files for the differential; there is a listing of all files backed up and another for files removed from backup. The later shows a red x just to the left.

Attachments
DIFFERENTIAL LOG.pdf (4 views, 55.00 KB)
FULL LOG.pdf (4 views, 56.00 KB)
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)
Ok, so Reflect actually is performing a Differential backup, not automatically falling back to performing a Full.  That's clear from the fact that the log from the Diff job shows that Reflect is appending to an existing file and the fact that the resulting file name ends in 01-01, whereas Full backups always end in 00-00.  The question here is why Reflect seems to be detecting that every file has been modified since the last Full.  Reflect establishes that a file has changed when either its size or its Date Modified timestamp has changed. I'm wondering if something going on within whatever device you're connecting this drive to in order to make it a NAS might be touching those files somehow?  If you still have the image files generated by these two jobs, can you mount each of them and compare the Date Modified timestamps of a file that you are certain you didn't deliberately change between these two backups?  I'm wondering if the timestamp might have changed anyway.

Edited 7 August 2017 7:08 PM by jphughan
BobHy
BobHy
OK, I've mounted both the full and differential backups. There is no difference in file size nor date/time stamps nor attributes for individual files that have not changed. Also, I've used the utility "ExamDiff". It reported that the both files are identical.
One item of curiosity is that when mounted, the drive for the full backup is: F:\Network ([192.168.1.149] [nas]) while that for the differential is: G:\Network ([192.168.1.149] [NAS]). Note the lower case and all caps for NAS.
Right now I'm using a Synology NAS. Prior to this I used a USB drive connected directly to the router. Reflect did the same thing when the USB drive was plugged into the router.
I've just performed an incremental backup on the FULL. It appears to have done it's job correctly. At least the time to do was considerably shorter and the file size for the incremental seems appropriate.
Attached is the log file for the incremental.
Thanks again,
Bob

Attachments
INCREMENTAL.pdf (3 views, 55.00 KB)
jphughan
jphughan
Hmm, I'm not entirely sure what to make of that.  I can't account for the difference in capitalization, although I would be surprised if that mattered.  It's possible that if you capture a Full while the drive is directly attached, you can't capture a proper Diff while it's connected as a NAS; the root Full and the child Diff/Inc backups might have to be generated while the drive was being accessed the same way, if you haven't already tried that.  Otherwise, the Incremental log does indicate that changed file detection worked as it was supposed to, so if you wanted to retry a Diff, you could delete that Inc so that only the root Full existed again (you can only build a Diff from a Full, not an Inc), and the Diff SHOULD be created correctly, again making sure the disk is connected the same way.  Interesting case here!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...