Advice needed to bring a scheduled backup forward to test Schedule User option

Author
Nuser
Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

I require advice please to bring my weekly Friday 2am backup forward without having to retype (and possibly introducing an unobserved error)
a new scheduled backup.
For instance I would like my Friday 2am backup to be run on Wed 2am for a test run. then maybe a few hours later for a second test run.
 Is it possible to copy my Friday schedule backup and alter some aspect of it to run on some nominated times over the next day or so?

I don't want to use Run now as I know that works whereas the automatic backup setting aborts as None of the specified backup locations could be written to.

In the test  run I will be making sure the Windows SYSTEM account is Not selected.
The scheduled backup works correctly manually when selecting run now over the user definition file and also works correctly with run now on under the Scheduled backups
tab but it does not run automatically.
Thank you.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
If you want the backups to be run that closely together, you probably can't just temporarily change your existing schedule entries from Friday to Wednesday.  In your case I would edit your schedule and add entries for the days on which you wish these extra backups to run.  There's nothing stopping you from having 2 separate schedules for Incrementals in your definition file, for example. I believe this will technically create additional Windows Scheduled Tasks, so it's not EXACTLY running what you already have, but unless you've manually customized your existing Scheduled Tasks, that shouldn't make any difference -- and of course when you're done with your testing, you can simply remove those extra entries and return to your regular setup.

It's very strange that your backup works when you choose "Run Now" even under the Scheduled Backups tab but doesn't work when the backup runs automatically at the scheduled time, because those two mechanisms should execute the job in exactly the same way. Selecting the "Run Now" option under the Definition Files tab causes the job to run as the logged-on user, so a difference there might be expected, but doing that under Scheduled Backups causes the job to run as whatever Schedule User is configured, same as automatic executions of scheduled tasks.

Edited 25 July 2017 2:05 PM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
I thought this thread sounded familiar and was about to point you to an earlier thread I remembered, only to find that you were the one who created that thread too! Smile  So judging by this thread, your backups still aren't quite working the way they're supposed to even though they're working more often than they were at the time of the original thread?  At this point the only (admittedly long shot) idea I've got that might account for the inconsistency you're seeing is that maybe the external hard drive is asleep when the Reflect job starts and is taking too long to wake up?  Do you have any sort of utility for your external hard drive that might be able to prevent it from going to sleep, at least to test this theory?  If not, some external drives will honor the "Turn hard disk off after" setting under Windows Power Options, but others will choose to sleep or not sleep completely independently and ignore sleep instructions from Windows entirely. With all of my external drives that go to sleep, when I next use an application that wants to access it, the application appears to hang while it waits for the drive to spin back up, but after those few seconds things carry on as normal; I've never seen an application just give up during that resume period, which is why I conceded this was a long shot idea.

Edited 25 July 2017 2:14 PM by jphughan
Nuser
Nuser
Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)
Thanks for your thought provoking, detailed and clear explanations jphughan.  With your previous assistance we were able to prove that the backups could be made to that My Book by manually selecting Run now from both the backup definition file and also from the scheduled tab. For some reason it stubbornly continues to backup automatically as scheduled.
 We had a look at this Windows 10 operating system and the My Book in depth today and there is no software on the MyBook or settings within Windows 10 that is set in a manner that could cause the My Book to go into a sleep mode.
We believe the My Book is causing things to slow down substantially and so have removed it and set it to one side for disposal. It may be one that caused trouble a few years back. We have backed up "Run now" to a replacement My Book and that manual task worked correctly.
 It will be next Monday 2am before the scheduled backup to the replacement My Book takes place unless I get a chance to set up a scheduled test before hand. I will report the outcome once a scheduled test has be undertaken.

I very much appreciate your assistance and direction in this matter.
 Thank you.

Nuser
Nuser

As I said I would report the outcome of the 2AM Monday July 31 scheduled backup having changed the My Book to another one I intend to use for the Monday backups.
Unfortunately the scheduled backup failed.
The Error message is as follows: Backup aborted! - None of the specified backup locations could be written to
Yet later on Monday morning by manually clicking Run now over the backup definition file MR backed things up and verified the backup successfully in 1hr 24mins.
 These Monday backups are aiming at a My Book that I have labelled Onsite Backup (QSmile and it shows as that in This PC.
At 2am every Friday I have a different My Book attached which appears in This pc labelled Offsite (OSmile and that happily accepts scheduled backups and also manual backups of course.
I have compared the two different days backup definition files but can't see why I can do a scheduled backup to one My Book (OSmile successfully on Friday but
on Monday I cannot do a scheduled backup to the My Book I have which is labelled (QSmile - I can do a manual backup to it successful just not a scheduled backup.
As I say even testing the Monday 2am backup with a fresh My Book didn't allow a scheduled backup but a manual backup was successful.

The only thing other odd thing I notice is that on a few occasions recently if I double click on the  Macrium Reflect icon and click allow at the User account control I don't always get the Macrium Reflect box showing my license number showing up immediately. I shows up as a white square for a minute or two then as it appears I see Analyzing Disk 2 Partition 1 and then a green progress bar seems to freeze about 20mm along for a minute or two then sometimes when Macrium Reflect main screen appears the My Book doesn't actually show on it. So on those occasions I click on the shut down symbol but the computer doesn't seem to respond and I have to switch off at the tower. On a reboot and clicking on the Macrium Reflect icon the whole process goes smoothly and the My Book appears in the Macrium Reflect along with the other drives. This windows 10 machine has been very stable and this type of behavior seems to happen occasionally when the My Book is attached as I suspect the system is hanging when Macrium reflect tries to find the My Book.

My apologies for such a long post.

Nuser
Nuser

As I said I would report the outcome of the 2AM Monday July 31 scheduled backup having changed the My Book to another one I intend to use for the Monday backups.
Unfortunately the scheduled backup failed.
The Error message is as follows: Backup aborted! - None of the specified backup locations could be written to
Yet later on Monday morning by manually clicking Run now over the backup definition file MR backed things up and verified the backup successfully in 1hr 24mins.
 These Monday backups are aiming at a My Book that I have labelled Onsite Backup (QSmile and it shows as that in This PC.
At 2am every Friday I have a different My Book attached which appears in This pc labelled Offsite (OSmile and that happily accepts scheduled backups and also manual backups of course.
I have compared the two different days backup definition files but can't see why I can do a scheduled backup to one My Book (OSmile successfully on Friday but
on Monday I cannot do a scheduled backup to the My Book I have which is labelled (QSmile - I can do a manual backup to it successful just not a scheduled backup.
As I say even testing the Monday 2am backup with a fresh My Book didn't allow a scheduled backup but a manual backup was successful.

The only thing other odd thing I notice is that on a few occasions recently if I double click on the  Macrium Reflect icon and click allow at the User account control I don't always get the Macrium Reflect box showing my license number showing up immediately. I shows up as a white square for a minute or two then as it appears I see Analyzing Disk 2 Partition 1 and then a green progress bar seems to freeze about 20mm along for a minute or two then sometimes when Macrium Reflect main screen appears the My Book doesn't actually show on it. So on those occasions I click on the shut down symbol but the computer doesn't seem to respond and I have to switch off at the tower. On a reboot and clicking on the Macrium Reflect icon the whole process goes smoothly and the My Book appears in the Macrium Reflect along with the other drives. This windows 10 machine has been very stable and this type of behavior seems to happen occasionally when the My Book is attached as I suspect the system is hanging when Macrium reflect tries to find the My Book.

My apologies for such a long post.

Nuser
Nuser
We have found the solution to the problem for which I offer my apologies as it is, I believe of our own making along with some difference in how a manual MR backup works compared with a scheduled backup.

We have always been able to do a successful Run Now backup but with the My Books (QSmile (we tried two different My Books which we labelled Q: yet in each case we had a scheduled MR backup failure yet as I say they backed up perfectly with a manual Run Now backup.

Our mistake is shown below:
This PC>Onsite Backup(QSmile
Then the folder we had within that was labelled Onsite Backup

Our solution was we believed the two words for the folder (or the gap in the folder title) was causing the scheduled backup to Abort although a manual backup worked.
So we changed the label of the drive and the folder name each to a single word so that the path now reads:

This PC>Onsite(QSmile>Backup
As the folder within that My Book (QSmile drive is now a single word Backup

This afternoon we have successfully tested a scheduled backup to the newly named drive and folder.

My thanks to jphughan in offering insights towards possible solutions. Please accept my apologies too for accidentially posting my previous post twice.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Wow, a space in the path was the culprit?? I'm surprised that hasn't come up before for someone else if that was the issue. FYI you do NOT need to adjust the drive label. That's a purely cosmetic thing and is in no way involved in any folder paths, though Reflect does include that in its log, so it's a good idea to have different labels for different disks in a rotation scenario. I have spaces in the drive labels on my backup destinations and don't encounter any issues, for what it's worth.

As for the space in the folder path, I'm betting the true underlying cause here is that the path in question was specified somewhere without quotes around it, which is necessary when the path has spaces. The fact that this only affected scheduled backups would seem to implicate something in the Windows scheduled task path, but I think that only has a path to the definition file, not the target. But wherever the breakdown was, glad it works now!
Edited 3 August 2017 1:56 PM by jphughan
Nuser
Nuser
Every time I read your posts I learn important new things jphughan -thanks!
I didn't know about the quotes required around a path that has spaces but my colleague who set these backups up did know that. However, the interesting thing about that is that I have another My Book we have labelled Offsite (OSmile which has always run scheduled backup successfully at 2am each Friday and it is set up as follows when viewing it through This Pc:

This PC>Offsite(OSmile>Win10 Backup

which has a gap in the folder label with a single word as the Drive label and it has always backed up via scheduled or Run now as you had me test them.
The Destination file name for the above is shown in the log as
O:\Win10 Backup\7B etc.mring
That was entered without using quotes even though it has a gap between Win 10 and Backup.

Anyway the great news is that the scheduled backups to the My Book (QSmile work successfully as they head to This PC>Onsite(QSmile>Backup

Many thanks jphughan.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
^ You're very welcome! Smile

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...