Reboot Option In Rescue Environment

Author
johnmsch
New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
When doing a backup or restore from the rescue environment boot disk, I'd like a reboot option.  The only options we have at the bottom of the screen are shutdown, suspend, hibernate (and I think one more).  Adding reboot to the option list would be nice.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Already a Wish List thread for this: https://forum.macrium.com/Topic14891.aspx  Smile

johnmsch
johnmsch
New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)
Thanks
Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
If you click on the red X to close the Reflect window while in the rescue media the computer reboots.  Additionally, if you click on the red power button looking thing in the lower left hand corner of the screen on the taskbar the computer reboots.  At least that's how it works with my rescue media CD v7.0.2187 - I just tried in order to verify.  Oddly, I don't see shutdown, suspend and hibernate options.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Gork - 21 July 2017 1:12 PM
If you click on the red X to close the Reflect window while in the rescue media the computer reboots.  Additionally, if you click on the red power button looking thing in the lower left hand corner of the screen on the taskbar the computer reboots.  At least that's how it works with my rescue media CD v7.0.2187 - I just tried in order to verify.  Oddly, I don't see shutdown, suspend and hibernate options.

I think the OP is referring to having an option to automatically reboot the PC after an image/restore operation completes, not an ad hoc mechanism.  I personally like being able to review the log after an operation as important as capturing or restoring a disk image, and given that SSD-equipped PCs boot in a few seconds now anyway, I feel that the reassurance of seeing a clean log vastly outweighs saving such a small amount of time by having the PC reboot automatically, but that's why there are options I suppose.

Edited 21 July 2017 3:17 PM by jphughan
Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)Guru (1.3K reputation)
Ahh, so OP is referring to options at the bottom of the "window" as opposed to the screen.  K, makes sense.  Doesn't matter to me either way I suppose since if I'm backing up from rescue media I'm sitting right in front of the PC - or at least in the comfy chair across the room.  Smile
dyhs
dyhs
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (327 reputation)Proficient Member (327 reputation)Proficient Member (327 reputation)Proficient Member (327 reputation)Proficient Member (327 reputation)Proficient Member (327 reputation)Proficient Member (327 reputation)Proficient Member (327 reputation)Proficient Member (327 reputation)Proficient Member (327 reputation)
I don't usually use the "Reboot after backup/restore" setting either.

On an unrelated note, what I miss is a manual Shutdown button. The only option in Rescue seems to be Reboot.
Sometimes you just want to switch PC off. Smile
Gork
Gork
Guru
dyhs - 22 July 2017 7:22 PM
On an unrelated note, what I miss is a manual Shutdown button. The only option in Rescue seems to be Reboot.
Sometimes you just want to switch PC off. Smile

I concur.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
dyhs - 22 July 2017 7:22 PM
don't usually use the "Reboot after backup/restore" setting either.On an unrelated note, what I miss is a manual Shutdown button. The only option in Rescue seems to be Reboot.Sometimes you just want to switch PC off. Smile

Well in a PE environment if nothing is writing to storage, you could just use your PC's power button. Or as another alternative, I'm pretty sure the shutdown command is available in WinPE, in which case if can be invoked in Command Prompt. It actually has a fair amount of functionality in "full" Windows, but the syntax for a simple shutdown would be "shutdown -s".
Gork
Gork
Guru
Very true, but I suppose this would be an "ease of use" issue, not something NEEDED per se.  I've wished for this option more than once as opposed to reaching for the off button or opening a command line and typing the command - and I've used both options.  Your point about the command line command only backs up how easily this option could be included.  Wink
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search