Would you be interested in 2 pack / 3 pack licenses?

Poll
Would you be interested in 2 pack / 3 pack licenses?

Yes
64% - 16 votes
No
36% - 9 votes
Member Votes: 25, Guest Votes: 0. You don't have permission to vote within this poll.
Author
dyhs
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Currently in the Macrium Reflect shop we can only buy a single Home license, or a 4 pack license. No 2 pack or 3 pack offers available.
https://www.macrium.com/products/home
The 4 pack license is a good deal for those who actually install MR on 4 Windows PCs, but it is "too much" for those who just need 2, as it costs as much as two single licenses.
Tags
Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)
The deal received for the 4-pack purchase makes it more than worth it to pay the little bit extra for the two licenses I actively use.

OPs can help other forum searchers by highlighting (✔) an answer that resolves the issue.

dyhs
dyhs
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)Proficient Member (267 reputation)
@Gork
The 4-pack purchase is a deal for those who need 4 licenses, not for those who just need 2 and end up paying as much as for 2 single licenses.
BTW, most software vendors do have 2-pack / 3-pack offers on their products. Probably because the average "home user" owns two or three Windows PCs at most, not four. Smile

Edited 21 September 2017 12:28 PM by dyhs
Alan1250
Alan1250
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Two and Three packs would be nice.  Also, since so many of us believe in the product so much, it would be great if we could work out a discount for our friends that we influence, too.  Think of it as a "sales commission" that we earn but are contributing to them.
Stuart Smith
Stuart Smith
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
I was in the situation of having a 4 pack, then realized I needed one more licence. It seemed wrong as a current user that I had to pay full price for a single copy. I think that you should be able to buy further copies at a discount as an existing owner.

dyhs
dyhs
Proficient Member
@Stuart
Yes, that would be another interesting option. Maybe as an offer when you upgrade to a new version. Say, if you had 4 V6 licenses, you are given the opportunity to buy 5 V7 licenses at a special price.
Different, more flexible, offers would fit different needs and ultimately lead to greater sales for Macrium and happier customers. A win-win Smile
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)
@dyhs, achieving flexibility in that design would require a lot of packaging options -- what if someone needs 2 more licenses than they have today rather than 1, etc.  I personally hate labyrinthine pricing models and packaging arrangements (as found with cable TV companies at least in the US, for example) since you can either never get exactly what you want or there are so MANY ways to get what you want that your chosen path might not be the most cost-effective. Perhaps a simpler model that maintains flexibility would be one whereby the more licenses you add to a single customer account, the greater the discount on the later licenses, even if they're not all purchased at the same time.  For example:

- License #1 purchased at full price
- Licenses #2-5 can be purchased at 25% off (at any time, and even individually rather than all at once)
- Licenses #6-10 can be purchased at 40% off
- Licenses #11 onward can be purchased at 50% off (although at this point the customer might want to look into CMC and Macrium Agent Licenses)

Of course this model could end up being WORSE for people who only need a small license count.  For example, a 4-pack today is roughly the cost of 2 full price licenses.  If we assume License #1 in that pack was purchased at full price, that amounts to getting a 67% discount on Licenses #2-4, which is a very steep starting discount.  Or I guess these models could co-exist, e.g. customers could purchase a 4-pack if that pricing is more advantageous for their needs than the "graduated discount" model above, and that pack's licenses would count toward the total associated that customer account -- so if a 4-pack customer later just needed a fifth license, that could be purchased at 25% off in the model I suggested above.  I believe this would satisfy Stuart's scenario.

Edited 7 October 2017 5:14 PM by jphughan
dyhs
dyhs
Proficient Member
That would create different ways to get the same number of licenses and at different prices. Besides the system could be easily abused if you could buy any number of extra licenses at any time at 50% off, separately: for instance you could buy extra licenses at 50% and resell them at 75% ;-)
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)
Hmm, didn't think about the shady reseller scenario.  I guess if Macrium wants to have a pricing model that mitigates that (although the 4-pack still makes that pretty feasible), then people who might accumulate new PCs one at a time like Stuart are stuck.  Sigh....  This is why we can't have nice things!!

Edited 8 October 2017 1:47 AM by jphughan
dyhs
dyhs
Proficient Member
Anyhow, allowing users to buy discounted extra licenses would be a good marketing move in my view.
But, allowing it at any time would be very generous of Macrium. Usually software houses offer pack discounts only if you buy all the licenses at the same time.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...