Easy way to export log to file

Author
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
On the many occasions when users need to post logs here to assist in troubleshooting, the favored methods seem to be attaching a screenshot or doing a copy/paste.  Screenshots aren't great because many job logs won't fit in their entirety within the display area, and copy/pasting doesn't seem to retain any of the HTML formatting, making it harder to read.  I see that right-clicking on a log entry in the Logs tab has options to email logs and send them to Macrium Support, but neither of those is especially convenient for users trying to post them to these forums.  I've also discovered that those logs are already HTML files just sitting under \ProgramData\Macrium\Reflect to begin with, but that's not obvious, nor is looking through those files in Windows Explorer an especially efficient means of finding the file of interest. Therefore I feel it would be beneficial (and I suspect the effort involved would be trivial) to expand that right-click menu to include an "Export log to HTML file" option, simply to give users a way to save a copy of a file that already exists in a convenient location for subsequent uploading to this forum.  Bonus points would be awarded for adding any of these enhancements as well:

- Export to PDF and/or Print functions for logs, the latter of which could be used to generate PDFs if a native PDF export function is deemed a poor cost/benefit proposition in terms of development resources.
- An Export button in the row next to the Refresh, Delete, and VSS Log buttons.  There's space in the UI for at least 3 more buttons there anyway, and it would further surface this functionality.  Clicking it could simply pop up a menu with all export options (email, Macrium Support, HTML, possibly PDF).
- If Print support is added, depending on the icon chosen for the Export button, it might make sense to add Print to that pop-up menu or just add a separate Print button given that users are conditioned to look for a button resembling a printer for this function and would be less likely to look for it under whatever icon is selected for the Export function.

Edited 17 July 2017 10:31 PM by jphughan
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi JP

Thanks for your comments. 

The log view in Reflect has a right click context menu with a 'Print', as well  'Select All' and 'Copy', or can  select the relevant part of the log followed by copy and paste directly into the forum. 

https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/6794cd25-1452-45f4-ba91-03cc.png

I think we need to make this more discover-able. 

Kind Regards

Nick

Macrium Support

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

Edited 17 July 2017 10:50 PM by Nick
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Aha!  It never occurred to me that the log viewer pane itself would have a context menu that resembles the context menu of a page displayed in a Web browser, but given that that pane is just displaying an HTML page, I suppose it should have. Thanks!

Edited 17 July 2017 10:53 PM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
One follow-up note: I just experimented with the capability to select the relevant portions and copy/paste, and you're right indeed that it's possible to do so while retaining style information -- but that's not the default or suggested behavior on the forum site.  When I attempt to paste log content into the forum post composition box, I get a warning saying that the pasted content contains style information and to "Click OK to clean the content".  Clicking Cancel will retain the formatting, but the wording of the post strongly suggests that clicking OK is the way to go -- and of course for people who don't read dialog boxes at all and simply assume that clicking OK means "Proceed" and that clicking Cancel means "Cancel the whole action", they'd always end up with plain text.  I harbor relatively little sympathy for people who refuse to read instructions and then complain that something doesn't work, but I concede it's a reality.

I still think an "Export to HTML file" option would be a nice additional option to have even if the existing capabilities were made more discoverable, though.

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (5.4K reputation)
Group: Administrators
If you click 'OK' it should render fine. (at least it does in Chrome). 

Yes, an obvious option to copy HTML to the clipboard or save as a file would be preferable.

Kind Regards

Nick

Macrium Support

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

dyhs
dyhs
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (327 reputation)Proficient Member (327 reputation)Proficient Member (327 reputation)Proficient Member (327 reputation)Proficient Member (327 reputation)Proficient Member (327 reputation)Proficient Member (327 reputation)Proficient Member (327 reputation)Proficient Member (327 reputation)Proficient Member (327 reputation)
Mind you, when the log is exported (select all-copy) or printed, and uploaded to the forum, the license code at the bottom of the page is visible as well.

https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/ae80dd8f-47ea-432d-af8e-0aa4.png

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
^ Good catch!!  Forgot about that.  I did think it strange that the license key was included at the end of every log file when I first noticed it, but I just considered it a curiosity.  However, if this proposed feature gets used to quickly send log files to others or post on this public forum, I would argue this curiosity would graduate to a legitimate concern. Even if a user noticed their license key in the log file, not everyone would know how to mask or remove it from an HTML or PDF file.

Edited 18 July 2017 10:53 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search