Data file for encrypted file does not get selected in backup

Author
Johnnygx
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
I have a folder that I run backups on. In this folder I have a file that is an encrypted volume. This file does not get selected when I run incremental or differential backups even when the file has changed.  I don't see any options for file comparison method; either Archive attribute or checksum.  How can I force Reflect to backup this file?

John
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Johnnygx - 9 July 2017 11:00 PM
have a folder that I run backups on. In this folder I have a file that is an encrypted volume. This file does not get selected when I run incremental or differential backups even when the file has changed.  I don't see any options for file comparison method; either Archive attribute or checksum.  How can I force Reflect to backup this file?John

This has come up a few times and Macrium is actively looking at ways to improve F&F backups to address this scenario. In the meantime, there are only a few options:

- Use a container type that doesn't obfuscate changes by preventing changes to the size or Date Modified timestamp. VHD/VHDX files encrypted with BitLocker To Go are a simple way to achieve this, and this very issue around backups is what prompted me to switch from TrueCrypt to VHDX containers. They'll work on any version of Windows, but you can only ENABLE BitLocker To Go from a Pro version of Windows (or Enterprise/Ultimate on Win7), but after that you can MODIFY them from any version. Win7 also has a somewhat more involved method of mounting these files (and doesn't support VHDX, only VHD), but it does work. On Win8 and above you just double-click to mount and right-click the virtual disk and choose Eject to unmount.
- Only perform Full F&F backups.
- Use image backups, which work with these files even when performing Inc/Diff backups.
Johnnygx
Johnnygx
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Thank you for the prompt reply jphughan.  I will look into the VHDX method.

Regards,
John
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...