What is a "Synthetic Full backup"?

Author
shmu26
Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
The partition on which my system images are stored, apparently went below the minimum threshold for free space, and some of my incrementals disappeared. I assume they were incorporated into the previous full backup, thus creating a "Synthetic Full backup".
What happens if I go and restore a Synthetic Full backup? Do I end up with the system state of the latest incorporated incremental, or what?
et_and_family
et_and_family
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (326 reputation)Proficient Member (326 reputation)Proficient Member (326 reputation)Proficient Member (326 reputation)Proficient Member (326 reputation)Proficient Member (326 reputation)Proficient Member (326 reputation)Proficient Member (326 reputation)Proficient Member (326 reputation)
See tutorial: https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Backup+Folder+Synchronization When you restore a synthetic full you get the state of the computer which was of the last incremental which was consolidated. You can also restore an incremental which has not been consolidated to restore the state of the computer when that particular selected incremental was created.

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)
If you have Synthetic Fulls enabled, the disk space threshold wouldn't have been triggered. That option only deletes older backup SETS, and when it does, all backups contained in the set get deleted. That option will never purge or consolidate backups in the current set, and Incrementals can't just be purged because that would break the integrity of the backup chain; they have to be consolidated. The only reason consolidation would happen automatically is if Reflect needed to do so in order to comply with your retention rules, so if you're using Incrementals Forever with Synthetic Fulls and run out of disk space on the target, jobs would just start failing until you ether got more storage or lowered your retention threshold.

You might want to check your logs to see what exactly happened and why.
Edited 4 July 2017 2:48 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...