Deduplication in File & Folder backups

Author
exterrestris
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Essentially the same question as I posted in the Disk Imaging forum, but for File & Folder backups.
I use StableBit DrivePool to provide protection against HD failure, and to provide expandable storage without worrying about running out of space on any particular disk. I'd like to backup a subset of the files in the storage pool (a virtual disk DrivePool creates), but DrivePool doesn't support VSS, so Reflect gives errors. However, DrivePool works by creating and storing copies of the files in a hidden folder on the disks in the pool which can be read as normal.
Therefore, I'm thinking that I can get Reflect to backup the files directly from the drives themselves to avoid any VSS issues, but this will result in multiple identical copies. So does Reflect deduplicate when creating File & Folder backups, or will the compression handle this without any significant increase in the size of the backup?
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)
Group: Administrators
@exterrestris

Thanks for posting. 

I'm afraid that the same answer is appropriate as the previous post on Disk images. If multiple copies of the same file exist in a File and Folder backup then this will increase the size of the backup by the amount of data in all duplicate files.  As with all lossless compression, the efficiency of compression will depend on the compressability of the source data. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...