MacriumService.exe Image Path

Author
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I notice that the most recent update release (6.3.1821 - 7th June 2017) has installed its MacriumService.exe file into the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Macrium\Common\" folder on all of my Windows installations.  However, the image path set under the HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MacriumService registry key was not modified accordingly.  It remains set as "C:\Program Files\Macrium\Common\MacriumService.exe" which is where previous releases installed it.  I've noted no immediately harmful result as the most recent changes to that service executable appear to be minimal, but the discrepancy would seem to hold some significant potential for future issues if not corrected.

I cannot say myself whether the same situation exists for v7 updates, but someone should probably look into that as well.

Regards, Richard V. ("Arvy")
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/afc5d4fe-5d25-4e25-be94-185e.png

Edited 13 June 2017 4:51 AM by Arvy
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)
Interesting find, and it does indeed seem to be a blunder on the Reflect installer's part since that EXE is the only file in the entire "\Program Files (x86)\Macrium" tree. Everything else is in Program Files, including the older version of that EXE.  Hopefully the next patch not only puts the updated EXE in the proper location but also removes the Macrium folder in x86, otherwise I'd appreciate confirmation from Macrium that I would be able to manually delete that folder after updating to whatever release will resolve this.

Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
I guess I should have marked this topic as intended primarily for the information and attention of the responsible Macrium reps here.  In any case, an acknowledgment as having been seen by them would be appreciated.  Specific corrective measures are entirely Macrium's to decide so far as I'm concerned.  BTW, in case it helps to pin down the source of the issue, I used the internal "Check for updates" for this latest release; the previous update was done using the full setup executable.

Edited 13 June 2017 5:50 PM by Arvy
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)
Group: Administrators
You can safely delete the folder 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Macrium' and all contents. it was created in error during the patch process.  The fact that the previous version of MacriumService.exe is in the correct folder is of no consequence as there are no changes to the exe in the update.

This doesn't affect v7, has no operational impact on v6 and will be corrected in a future v6 update.  Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Richard V.
Richard V.
Okay, thanks Nick.  I understand that the discrepancy was inconsequential in this instance for the reason you've stated.  The fix release is certainly not an urgent requirement.  My reason for bringing it to your attention was only to ensure that it got caught and corrected for the future.  My assumption was that patches don't normally update and reinstall the MacriumService.exe file for no reason at all and that some future change to that executable and/or its service dependencies might make it quite important for the right updated file to get loaded by the registry entry.  Anyhow, thanks for the ack and for checking out v7 as well.

Edited 14 June 2017 4:16 PM by Arvy
John Burns
John Burns
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
I am totally confused.  I seem to have a file in Program Files (x86)> Macrium>Common>MacriumService.exe dated 06/26/2017 (3804kb).  Then in Program Files>Macrium there are two files - again Common>MacriumService.exe dated 12/12/2016 (3787kb) and Reflect dated 06/26/2017 (123mb) with the program files in it.

Is this a problem - having two MacriumService.exe files - one in Program Files and one in Program Files (x86) with different dates? Please advise what I should do.  Thanks.  
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)
JohnBurns - 27 June 2017 5:03 PM
I am totally confused.  I seem to have a file in Program Files (x86)> Macrium>Common>MacriumService.exe dated 06/26/2017 (3804kb).  Then in Program Files>Macrium there are two files - again Common>MacriumService.exe dated 12/12/2016 (3787kb) and Reflect dated 06/26/2017 (123mb) with the program files in it.

Is this a problem - having two MacriumService.exe files - one in Program Files and one in Program Files (x86) with different dates? Please advise what I should do.  Thanks.  

Based on Nick's post, it seems the newer date is irrelevant because the MacriumService file didn't actually change functionally, and the 64-bit version of Reflect shouldn't have put anything into the x86 folder, nor is it actually using the file at that location (the service still points to regular Program Files), so you can delete the "Program Files x86\Macrium" folder.  Technically it's not causing any problems just being there, but it's not being used for anything either.

John Burns
John Burns
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
Thanks for response, I was concerned because my Event Viewer is getting errors per the attached screenshots.  Just trying to be safe rather than sorry.

Attachments
Screenshot (13).png (4 views, 279.00 KB)
Screenshot (14).png (1 view, 279.00 KB)
jphughan
jphughan
That's not too unusual -- even some built-in Microsoft services throw errors about not having descriptions for the Error ID they threw. Anyhow, while it might be something Macrium can improve on, it wouldn't be related to having an extra copy of the file that's in a place it shouldn't be and that isn't being used.
John Burns
John Burns
Thanks for the response.   I guess I just needed the reassurance.  I'm not too savvy on some of this stuff.  Appreciate your comment.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...