Download Agent v6 Update

Author
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
@Any Macrium Rep -- I apologise if this was answered previously, but if so, I couldn't find it and wanted to get the question in while v6 remains "officially" supported.

I assume that, at some not-too-distant future point in time, the Reflect v7 Download Agent's PE base download options that currently include the version based on Windows 10.1607 will be updated to the version based on Windows 10.1703.  The question is whether (and also when if known) the Reflect v6 Download Agent will be similarly updated so that more than a single partition can be created and used on USB flash drives in Reflect's WinPE rescue environment.

I vaguely recall some earlier advice that download agent options need only be modified at the Macrium server level, but can't seem to find that one either.  If that is so, please consider the question as having been asked mutatis mutandis.

Regards, Richard V. ("Arvy")
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/afc5d4fe-5d25-4e25-be94-185e.png

Edited 8 June 2017 2:01 AM by Arvy
john.p
john.p
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (88 reputation)Macrium Representative (88 reputation)Macrium Representative (88 reputation)Macrium Representative (88 reputation)Macrium Representative (88 reputation)Macrium Representative (88 reputation)Macrium Representative (88 reputation)Macrium Representative (88 reputation)Macrium Representative (88 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi,

You are correct.

Starting in the Windows 10 build 14965, multiple partitions on a usb removable disks (memory sticks, not usb attached disks) are now recognised and can be created / formatted with diskpart.
The primary significance for Rescue media is that you would be able to configure a EFI boot partition (Fat32 required) alongside an additional NTFS partition to store Reflect backup files. This requires two changes.
1) New Reflect logic to allow removable USB media to be configured in this way if the Windows & PE kernel build is recent enough.
2) Making 1703 PE available to the download agent; without 1703, you wouldn't be able to access the 2nd partition once the rescue media is booted.
Once PE 1703 is made available, even without a new release of Reflect, it can be used to with multi-partition usb memory sticks with the proviso that you would need to pre-prepare the usb media with diskpart.

I don't yet have a definite release date for the above two items; it is on the list planned for a release in the not distant future.

I hope this helps.
John.
Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Thanks, John.  I guess I was hoping that change #2 would happen soonest.  For now, as an interim "workaround", I have downloaded the Microsoft PE10.1703 WADK and have configured Reflect's rescue media "wizard" to use its boot.wim as the build base.  No problem with the pre-prepare using diskpart.

I'm very pleased to hear about planned change #1 as well.  I had suggested exactly that earlier in the v7 forum's Rescue Media section, but wasn't sure if it was an accepted suggestion and would also be done for the v6 builder "wizard".  That's great!  Kernel version detection should be no problem but constructing a "non-confusing" UI could be a bit of a challenge. Wink  I'm sure the Macrium team will manage it just fine.

Hooray!  We're on our way to independently "rescue" bootable backup destinations on swappable/removable flash media! w00t

Regards, Richard V. ("Arvy")
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/afc5d4fe-5d25-4e25-be94-185e.png

Edited 8 June 2017 3:24 PM by Arvy
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...