RE: v6.3.1813 Changes

Author
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
@Nick et al: Having just updated all three versions of my WinPE builds (PE 3.1, PE 5.0 and PE 10.1607) after installing Reflect v6.3.1813 (2017-06-05) it seems to me that the process took considerably longer than it did with the previous Reflect v6.3.1745 installation.  Is it my imagination, or have you guys added more MS base package options to your .WIM "customization" part of that process?  I ask because I usually customize my own boot.wim base and the "additional unspecified bug fixes" part of the current release notes is a little vague.  I'm certainly not expecting "support" for any of my own idiosyncrasies, just a few more specific "hints" about any relevant changes if you're willing and if there actually are any relevant changes.

Regards, Richard V. ("Arvy")
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/afc5d4fe-5d25-4e25-be94-185e.png

Edited 6 June 2017 5:00 PM by Arvy
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Arvy

Nothing has changed in the WIM building so I'm not sure why you are experiencing any time difference. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
Okay, thanks Nick.  I suspect it may be nothing more than fragmentation of the PE base sources as I chose to run the full installer (rather than internal updater) and, as you know, that also reinstalls all of the PE base (.zip) packages located the same folder as the setup executable.  Anyhow, I appreciate your taking the time to reply in the negative.  It saves this lazy user quite a lot of deeper digging. Smile

Edited 6 June 2017 5:11 PM by Arvy
Richard V.
Richard V.

P.S.:  Hmmmm!

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Macrium\Macrium Service]
"RegistryPermissionsUpdated"=dword:00000001
"UserRegistryPermissionsUpdated"=dword:00000001

It's a good thing that I trust Macrium a hell of a lot more than I trust Microsoft or there'd be an awful lot of other questions in my mind about that. Unsure

Edited 6 June 2017 7:22 PM by Arvy
Mike A
Mike A
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (329 reputation)Macrium Representative (329 reputation)Macrium Representative (329 reputation)Macrium Representative (329 reputation)Macrium Representative (329 reputation)Macrium Representative (329 reputation)Macrium Representative (329 reputation)Macrium Representative (329 reputation)Macrium Representative (329 reputation)
Hi Avry,

There was a problem where the permission on certain Macrium registry keys were not consistent, this caused a few user preferences not to be read. The registry entries that you have identified show that Reflect has fixed the registry permissions for Macrium registry entries and does not need to apply the fix again.

Thanks

Mike.
Richard V.
Richard V.

Hi Mike.  That's more or less what I surmised.  I took it "on trust" that it involved no registry keys other than Macrium's own.  Thanks for the confirmation.

I can understand that you may not wish to be more specific, but one wonders if any of those same registry key permissions issues might be also related to some of the reported v7 scheduling anomalies (e.g. Gork's recent post) that you've been wrestling with.  I believe the MacriumService has some role in handling some of those if I'm not mistaken.  Just a thought.

Edited 6 June 2017 7:46 PM by Arvy
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Arvy

I took it "on trust" that it involved no registry keys other than Macrium's own

No "trust" required and nothing to do with scheduling. That registry entry is from release v7.0.2089 on 21st March and the fix is in the release notes:

http://updates.macrium.com/reflect/v7/v7.0.2089/details7.0.2089.htm

See also here:

http://forum.macrium.com/Topic11859.aspx

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited 6 June 2017 8:54 PM by Nick
Richard V.
Richard V.
Dunno about that, Nick.  So far as I'm concerned, anything that installs and/or updates using NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller involves a very large element of user trust in the product.  And that's without even considering the creation of tasks that run as NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM.  In any case, my saying that I took it "on trust" in Macrium's case was intended as complimentary and definitely not otherwise.  I'm certainly not doubting your word, nor Mike's, on the subject.

Yes, I see now that v7 got the same treatment.  Guess I missed that release having gone back to v6 for now.  I still wonder, however, if the same treatment was enough for v7 with its additional auto-start services and the switch to the task scheduler v2.0 API.  Seems to me its services might require greater access to more than just Reflect's own registry keys to determine, for example, notification preferences, background task handling, etc., especially when running under W10 and all its various updates.  As I said, just a thought.  Most definitely not intended to complicate Mike's efforts.  Trying to decipher Microsoft's ambiguous information is sufficiently difficult without my dubious "help".

Edited 6 June 2017 10:26 PM by Arvy
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...