Scheduled backup ran both a full and an incremental

Author
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have a single backup definition file which I have scheduled through Reflect to run thusly:
http://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/21478f59-e313-4ff4-812a-7ecb.jpg

As you can see, I schedule a Full every first Sunday of every month at 05:00, a Differential every Monday of every week at 05:00 and an Incremental every day at 05:00.  It is my understanding that when, in my case, a Full and an Incremental are scheduled to run on the same day at the same time the Full takes precedence over the Incremental and the Incremental isn't supposed to execute.  HOWEVER, this morning an Incremental executed and when that finished a Full then executed.  I did not want the Incremental to execute.

I know I could set up multiple schedules to overcome this issue, but for the sake of simplicity I didn't want to do it that way.  What am I missing here?  Why did both an Incremental and a Full run?

Here is the list showing both images operations did indeed run:
http://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/28f4f014-c8ae-4d3d-918b-ecb3.jpg

OPs can help other forum searchers by highlighting (✔) an answer that resolves the issue.

Edited 4 June 2017 6:57 PM by Gork
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
Your understanding of how it's supposed to work is correct. As to why it didn't work that way, I wonder if maybe different start dates for the schedule entries matters? It shouldn't, but possibly a bug? Can you make those all match? It's also interesting to me that the Incremental seems to have run first.
Edited 4 June 2017 7:02 PM by jphughan
Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
Hi Gork.  Are you certain that all of your current scheduler entries are based on the same single Reflect XML file task definition?  Reflect's order-of-precedence rule would only apply to scheduled jobs using exactly the same task definition.  Judging by the two different backup file base names (7575540B33D54A38 and DC4E4F073BE91222), Reflect doesn't seem to think that those Incremental and Full backups are members of the same set.

Regards, Richard V. ("Arvy")
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/afc5d4fe-5d25-4e25-be94-185e.png

Edited 4 June 2017 7:41 PM by Arvy
Gork
Gork
Guru
Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)Guru (1.2K reputation)
Yes, I'm certain that all of my scheduler entries are based on the same single XML file task definition.  But hmm...  I think I see what happened, though it still seems odd...  MR ran an Incremental on the backup chain which already existed followed by a Full which was scheduled to run to start a new chain.  It seems to me that if MR is scheduled to run both an Incremental and a Full based on the same task definition file when set up to keep two Full backups (aka chains) it shouldn't be running both the Incremental on the old chain and the Full to create a new chain if both those operations are scheduled to run at the same time.  It should skip the Incremental.

OPs can help other forum searchers by highlighting (✔) an answer that resolves the issue.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
Arvy - 4 June 2017 7:20 PM
i Gork.  Are you certain that all of your current scheduler entries are based on the same single Reflect XML file task definition?  Reflect's order-of-precedence rule would only apply to scheduled jobs using exactly the same task definition.  Judging by the two different backup file base names (7575540B33D54A38 and DC4E4F073BE91222), Reflect doesn't seem to think that those Incremental and Full backups are members of the same set.

They're indeed not from the same set. Based on the timestamp that always shows when the job began rather than when it ended, the Incremental was created first off of some previous Full, then a new Full ran, which was assigned a new Image ID -- but that doesn't mean both scheduled jobs didn't come from the same definition file.

@Gork, you're correct -- Reflect should have skipped that Incremental. Once again your understanding of how this is SUPPOSED to work is spot on.
Edited 4 June 2017 8:22 PM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Long shot, but can you check actual Windows Task Scheduler to see if there's some other scheduled Reflect task stuck in there, perhaps as a result of a schedule modification that somehow created a duplicate task rather than just editing the existing one?
Gork
Gork
Guru
There are no other Macrium scheduled tasks in Task Scheduler - I deleted them when I upgraded to MR v7 and started using the System account to run my backups.  I did just double check, however, and only the three tasks exist which I created through MR after upgrading to v7.

Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
In that case, the only other possibility that occurs to me would be the "simultaneity" factor.

Gork
Gork
Guru
Agreed.  But as @jphughan pointed out, I believe Macrium has indicated that in this specific instance the Incremental should not have run so I'm hoping, if Macrium agrees with this assessment, that a fix will be initiated in an upcoming patch.

Richard V.
Richard V.
There's absolutely no question about how Reflect should handle simultaneously scheduled jobs based on the same task definition.  I'm just not sure how precisely that "simultaneity" is defined.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...