Rescue (Verion- 7) not very consistent (No LAN) connecting to my NAS

Author
bataradena
New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

I upgraded to Home Version-7 this morning and tried out the new version of PE-Windows 64-bit Rescue DVD (7.0.2187 Build). For some odd reason, I could not attach (Ping) to my NAS or anything else located on my local LAN. OK, I went back and tried my (Tested / Verified) Rescue (6.3.1665 Build) and sure enough I was able to connect to my NAS / Printer without any issue. Went back and forth between Rescue Builds and sure enough Version-7 did work "sometimes." I even tried burning another Version-7 build (using the same DVD Mfg. media) and my results are the same, Version-7 is not reliable compared to Version-6.
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, ASUS Mother Board (Intel Chips Set), i3-4160 CPU 3.60 GHz, 8G Memory, ASUS DVD Player, Sony 250GB SSHD. 
Anybody else having any issue with Version-7 PE-Windows Rescue?

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)
You need to check what version of WinPE both your V6 and V7 Rescue Media are using. There are 4 versions to choose from in each case, or 6 if you count the individual iterations of WinPE 10 that have been available and supported by Reflect.  That's going to be much more relevant than the version of Reflect that's included in the WinPE environment.  Quickest way to do that is to open Command Prompt in the Rescue Media and check the version number at the top of the console output.

It's also possible that you're using different NIC drivers with each Rescue Media, or the same driver with different versions of WinPE that isn't fully compatible with both of them.  Check the Drivers folder on each of your Rescue Media discs and compare their contents.  If one or both of them don't have NIC drivers there, it means that that Rescue Media is using drivers built into whatever WinPE version it's using.

Edited 28 May 2017 7:48 PM by jphughan
johnmsch
johnmsch
New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)
Hey bataradena - Did you ever get this resolved?  I'm thinking of buying a NAS solution myself, probably one of the 4-bay Synology devices.  Just came here looking to see if the v7 Reflect Rescue Environment will backup/restore to/from a NAS device.

Please let us know if you got this working!

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)
Restoring from network locations definitely works from Rescue Media, and several people have done that successfully.  Also note that it doesn't matter what version of Reflect your Rescue Media uses, but rather what version of Windows PE your Rescue Media uses.  Both Reflect 6 and 7 have the same WinPE version options: 3.1, 4.0, 5.0, and 10.0-1607.  ALL of those support restoring from network locations, although some of them may require you to provide drivers for your network card to work.  My theory for the OP's case was that the problematic V7 Rescue Media he built was using an older version of WinPE that had no driver or perhaps a less reliable driver for his network card, whereas the older V6 Rescue Media may have been built using a newer WinPE version that had better/native support for his network card, or it might have included a driver that Reflect pulled from his live Windows system to add to the Rescue Media.

However, note that for network restores, you can only use your PC's wired network adapter(s).  No versions of WinPE have any support for WiFi adapters, even if you provide drivers for them.

Edited 3 August 2017 8:54 PM by jphughan
johnmsch
johnmsch
New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)New Member (34 reputation)
Thanks for the info.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...