Linux MINT

Author
Christopher Tocci
Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Folks,
As it has become known very recently, that Microsoft intends to not only charge monthly rates for Windows 10 (W10) O/S usage to companies (aka SaaS or Software as a Service), but is going to implement this same business model within the next few years to ALL users of W10.  What this means is that nearly all applications will be affected as W10 always has updating going on in the background quite routinely and NOW you will have to rent the O/S to run anything for any extended period of time.
You will only be allowed to stay with the unpaid version of W10 until there are sufficient  "updates" that cause your apps to have to change accordingly to stay compatible and the user that does not pay the W10 rental will be left behind much quicker than the usual 5 years main support and 10 years extended support models.
With all of this in mind, according to a number of writers around the web, many and many W10 users are seriously trying Linux MINT and it's various flavors (MATE, Cinnimon, etc.) as a way to get away from this aggressive business model juggernaut.  There is even a forum that has started collecting names and $$ to coordinate much more aggressive software drivers and application layers so that Windows programs can run in Linux without either the VMWare, dual boot or Wine interface for a much better experience.
My question...and I think it was answered before...but when will Macrium Reflect have and/or work with Linux (like some other backup/imaging tools) and if not, why not?  My inside tech indicates that Acronis is already playing with a Beta version of a Linux version right now.  I used to be an Acronis user and might be again, because, like many others, I cannot stand Microsoft's W10 tactic's that are coming our way.
Chris

Christopher Tocci, Ph.D.
ALFA Engineering Design
http://www.alfaengdesign.com

Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
Reflect already "works with Linux" in the sense that it is capable of backing up and restoring ext4 partitions.  It cannot, however, mount those backup images for recovering individual files and folders as it can with FAT and NTFS partitions.  Nor is there any longer a bootable Linux version of the Reflect rescue environment as there used to be.  They should at least consider making that available again.  See this poll

Like you, for several reasons of my own, I'm gradually moving away from MS Windows as I find replacement apps that can handle my needs under Linux.  In fact, I and some other users have requested a fully capable Linux version of Reflect and there have been some indications that it's under consideration, but nothing has appeared to date.  Going back to Acronis would be a last resort so far as I'm concerned.  On the other hand, Macrium seems to be introducing certain equally unwelcome features of their own and stumbling quite badly in doing so.

Regards, Richard V. ("Arvy")
https://forum.macrium.com/uploads/images/afc5d4fe-5d25-4e25-be94-185e.png

Edited 25 April 2017 5:11 PM by Arvy
Christopher Tocci
Christopher Tocci
Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)
Hi Arvy,

What is the cost to Macrium to just make a bootable capability to Linux?  Their friends at Acronis have a beta release out and I was playing with it...seems to work OK and allows for individual files/folders recovery.  Not very good at the imaging, though they promised to get this done shortly on next released beta (beta 2).
They have noticed the same "writing on the wall" that many of us are happy to see...that is that people/users are beginning to step away from the MS trough of addiction and get on with their lives!  It was a similar story as to why Apple got such a huge boost in acceptance was just after MS released Vista and again with Windows 8...really put Apple OS on the map...for real!  I am hoping the same mechanism takes place for Linux not due to W10, but because how they (MS) is going to shove W10 update madness and SaaS thinking down our throats!  I just hope Macrium is not being "pressured" by MS to not do anything that will allow their users to leave W10 under any real condition.

Chris

Christopher Tocci, Ph.D.
ALFA Engineering Design
http://www.alfaengdesign.com

Richard V.
Richard V.
Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.1K reputation)
I can't speak to your question about cost except to quote Nick Sills' explanation for removing the bootable Linux rescue feature when Reflect v6 was released: "The cost of maintaining this rescue media is too great for the amount of customers that actually use it.  However, we are monitoring reaction to this and If there is sufficient demand then we may re-introduce it."

Obviously, the demand to date hasn't been deemed "sufficient", but as you say, that could change as more people begin to "step away from the MS trough of addiction."  As for MS "pressure", who knows?  They've certainly applied some pressure to OEMs and chipset manufacturers to support their big W10 exclusivity push.  Macrium has certainly made Reflect heavily dependent on some of Windows functionality (VSS, scheduling, etc.) without any apparent pressure required and that has been a very successful strategy for them ... at least until recently when some of their expectations (especially about the Windows scheduling API) backfired quite badly.  In some ways, their Reflect v7 introduction seemed to be emulating the MS approach to "public beta" releases.  I'm still sticking with Reflect v6 myself and may not "upgrade" in the foreseeable future.  The new Reflect v7 gimmicks do absolutely nothing for any of my backup and recovery operations.

Edited 24 April 2017 11:58 PM by Arvy
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
The "cost" to make a Linux rescue environment is that it's one more environment that they'll need to support.  Since Reflect itself still only runs on Windows and not within Linux, and drivers might be required to boot a Rescue environment, it makes sense for the Rescue environment to require the same drivers that the user would already need to have in order to run their OS -- and indeed this platform consistency is what allows the Rescue Media wizard to just look for required drivers during media creation and automatically add them from the running OS if needed.  Adding Linux for MOST users will just create another source of confusion.  You can't look at just the upfront cost for Macrium to build and test their Rescue environment on Linux (though that is non-trivial), but there's the continuing cost of keeping it current with new Linux kernels to support newer hardware (which means continued testing) and then the extra support overhead.

And anyhow, the latest article I can find about Win10 subscriptions is almost a year old AND it would only apply to people using the Enterprise edition -- and I seriously doubt WinPE would be saddled with a subscription model since a fair amount of the time WinPE doesn't even have an Internet connection that it would need to verify compliance, and honestly I can't see even Microsoft doing something as dumb as requiring a product key or Microsoft ID logon before WinPE will load.

(EDIT: I just realized you're asking for a full-on version of Reflect that runs within Linux, not just an option for Linux-based Rescue Media. That's an even bigger ask.)

Edited 24 April 2017 11:57 PM by jphughan
Hendrick99
Hendrick99
Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)
@cstocci
I'm with Arvy on this issue. Suggestion: You might want to create a Rescue Media and then stick to that in order
to make backups. However, this is not a valid solution if you are using incremental or differential procedures.
Rescure Media can only create full-volume backups.
A Linux version would be nice. I'm on Linux Mint 17.3 and the only reason for using Win10 is Macrium and
Paint Shop Pro (which can possibly be replaced by GIMP).

Hendrick
Richard V.
Richard V.

Yes, app replacement is an impediment to a complete changeover.  For me it's finding a really good Quicken equivalent for financial management.

As for what MS may or may not do in the future, I wouldn't even try to guess considering what they've already done with their recent versions of the Windows OS and the Office software suite.  I only know that their heavy-handed SaaS and "cloud-based profit centres" focus has made me increasingly unwilling to be held hostage to any assumptions about their long-term beneficence and good intentions on behalf of this end user.  And that's leaving aside the many privacy issues that may be of particular concern to certain corporate and institutional users.

It's entirely up to Macrium to decide for themselves, of course, whether and to what extent support for Linux would be a worthwhile opportunity for them.  However, I can't see that "keeping it current" with that OS would be any more difficult than it is for Windows ongoing developments.  (They've already discovered some very serious pitfalls in the latter area to their own recent chagrin and discomfort and Linux is, if anything, more compatible for cross-platform file system handling.)  In any case, if they're not interested, they're certainly not "the only game in town."  Acronis would be a last resort for me as I've said, but this Linux Links article lists thirty-four other backup and recovery possibilities that the OP might want to consider in relation to his specific requirements.

Edited 25 April 2017 4:16 PM by Arvy
Danskeman
Danskeman
Talented Member
Talented Member (101 reputation)Talented Member (101 reputation)Talented Member (101 reputation)Talented Member (101 reputation)Talented Member (101 reputation)Talented Member (101 reputation)Talented Member (101 reputation)Talented Member (101 reputation)Talented Member (101 reputation)
cstocci - 24 April 2017 8:34 PM
Folks,
As it has become known very recently, that Microsoft intends to not only charge monthly rates for Windows 10 (W10) O/S usage to companies (aka SaaS or Software as a Service), but is going to implement this same business model within the next few years to ALL users of W10.  What this means is that nearly all applications will be affected as W10 always has updating going on in the background quite routinely and NOW you will have to rent the O/S to run anything for any extended period of time.
You will only be allowed to stay with the unpaid version of W10 until there are sufficient  "updates" that cause your apps to have to change accordingly to stay compatible and the user that does not pay the W10 rental will be left behind much quicker than the usual 5 years main support and 10 years extended support models.
With all of this in mind, according to a number of writers around the web, many and many W10 users are seriously trying Linux MINT and it's various flavors (MATE, Cinnimon, etc.) as a way to get away from this aggressive business model juggernaut.  There is even a forum that has started collecting names and $$ to coordinate much more aggressive software drivers and application layers so that Windows programs can run in Linux without either the VMWare, dual boot or Wine interface for a much better experience.
My question...and I think it was answered before...but when will Macrium Reflect have and/or work with Linux (like some other backup/imaging tools) and if not, why not?  My inside tech indicates that Acronis is already playing with a Beta version of a Linux version right now.  I used to be an Acronis user and might be again, because, like many others, I cannot stand Microsoft's W10 tactic's that are coming our way.
Chris

This is pure nonsense.  There is no intention to charge users to run Windows 10S or any version of Windows apart from Enterprise which already uses a lease model anyway/
GTK48
GTK48
New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)New Member (44 reputation)
Christopher Tocci - 24 April 2017 8:34 PM
Folks,
Chris

Do you have any kind of source for this from Microsoft?Or is this just your opinion as I believe it is in the Tin Foil hat Category
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
^ So far, as has already been mentioned, the subscription model has been limited to Enterprise editions (originally Software Assurance and more recently Windows 10 SaaS), but there were rumors that it would not stay that way. Those are still only rumors, and it’s very possible that Microsoft has backed off after the non-enterprise consumer backlash that they generated — which might then might explain why a bunch of stupid apps keep getting pushed into my Start menu and the relentless OneDrive and Office notification ads, both of which seem to be ramping up over time. I actually would consider paying a modest ONE-TIME fee not to have my OS become an advertising platform, but I’m sure Microsoft would rather have ad revenue forever than my one-time payment. Or maybe (donning tin foil hat here) this is the whole strategy: ratchet up the advertising until it becomes intolerable, THEN introduce a subscription option that removes the ads, by which point users will be grateful for having been given the option rather than outraged at the very idea of subscribing to an OS.

I have to say, although there are now too many things I’ve come to rely on that were introduced in Windows 8.1 and 10 to allow me to consider going back to 7, my sympathy and understanding toward users who refuse to move forward from 7 has actually been INCREASING with successive releases of Win10, not decreasing.
Edited 11 November 2017 2:45 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...