Can Anyone Help With the Operation of V5

Author
DMP
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Apologies if this is not the right place to post this appeal for help.
I'm elderly and with very little knowledge of computing. I need to restore files backed up 3 weeks ago on V5. This is the first time I have had to do this and I have found that it is not just a straightforward push of a button. I have upgraded to V6 and will move to V7 but in the meantime can you please tell me if there is any source of simple instructions as to how to restore off my V5 backup.
Many Thanks
Douglas

et_and_family
et_and_family
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (340 reputation)Proficient Member (340 reputation)Proficient Member (340 reputation)Proficient Member (340 reputation)Proficient Member (340 reputation)Proficient Member (340 reputation)Proficient Member (340 reputation)Proficient Member (340 reputation)Proficient Member (340 reputation)
As you wish to restore files, am I right in thinking that you wish to restore either (a)  a file and folder backup or (b) only your precious data from an Image backup or (c) do you wish to restore an Image backup and restore the operating system, programs and your precious data?
If (a) then see tutorial http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Restoring+a+file+and+folder+backup
If (b) then you can mount an Image backup or a file and folder backup in Windows Explorer and copy and paste your precious data into your computer. To mount a backup see tutorial: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Browsing+Macrium+Reflect+images+and+backups+in+Windows+Explorer
If (c) to avoid giving you too many options please let us know whether you wish to restore to the original computer with original hardware or if hardware has benn changed what hardware has changed, or do you wish to restore to a different computer? Please note that restoring a full Image will overwrite any operating system on that computer. Also state if you have Windows PE rescue media available.

DMP
DMP
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Many thanks for your quick response.
I am using the same hardware. The operating system, Windows 8.1 is OK. I had to delete my microsoft account and create a new one and in the process I lost all my files. These are largely photos and some documents. I want to restore those from a Macrium V5 back up copy taken three weeks ago but I don't have the knowledge or experience to know how to tackle it. However if I had simple (jargon free) instructions I would probably manage.

Edited 19 April 2017 3:53 PM by DMP
DMP
DMP
I have tried the process as set out in the links which I was given but I am getting an error message saying that the restore can't run because the C drive is in use, Can anyone help me with this latest issue please?

Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
DMP, I thnk you're trying to restore the "C" drive under LIVE Windows... that cannot be done.  It can only be done using the Reflect RECOVERY MEDIA after your System BOOTs from it directly.

YOu'll need to use the 2nd offered LINKed procedure... the one which allows you to MOUNT your backup image on your LIVE System so that you may copy what you need.
Edited 20 April 2017 7:37 PM by Froggie
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)
For what it's worth, if all else fails, you could always buy V7 Workstation (not Home) and get the Premium Support option, which isn't available on Home. Then update to that on your current system (it can still restore from V5 backups), and the Premium Support would entitle you to phone-based support from Macrium, who I'm sure could help you with this.  But yes, if you just want to restore files rather than roll back your entire system to the date of the backup, your best option is to mount the backup file and then copy/paste the files you want from there onto your Desktop, My Documents folder, etc.  You'll find your files in the mounted backup under the Users folder.  It's good that you upgraded to V6 because you'll want to choose the "Enable access to restricted folders" option when you mount your backup image for browsing -- that was only introduced in V6, and without it, browsing to your profile folder would have involved more hurdles. If on the other hand you DO want to roll your entire system back, as was already mentioned you'd have to boot your computer from a Rescue environment since you can't restore Windows while Windows is running, so you'd have to either use the function in Reflect to add a boot menu recovery option and select that when you start your system, or else make a bootable CD or USB flash drive and boot your computer from that. The catch THERE is that if the issue that created this problem is that you deleted and recreated a Microsoft account, and you roll back your whole system to a backup that was using your old account, you might not be able to log onto your system anymore after the rollback.  This is a major reason why I avoid tying my system logon to a Microsoft account, despite many aggravating and borderline sneaky attempts by Windows to get me to do so.  That may be handy for syncing preferences across multiple systems, but I have no need for it and prefer the simplicity of a local account.

Edited 20 April 2017 9:24 PM by jphughan
DMP
DMP
Thanks for the latest advice, folks. I am completely new to these processes. Can you please give me detailed guidance on how to 'mount the images' on windows explorer or point to where I could find the advice?
Thanks

Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
The 2n LINK in the msg above (et_&_family) explains the mounting of images...
Edited 20 April 2017 9:55 PM by Froggie
DMP
DMP
I have managed to get into the imaging process but when I drag and drop the files I get an error notice saying: Server Busy............The action cannot be completed because the pictures program is not responding. Choose 'Switch To' and correct the problem. When I hit 'Switch To' everything just freezes and I can only progress by closing Macrium down and starting again. I have tried it several times and keep getting the same outcome.
The files have been backed up OK because I can see them all and I have been able to open them and view them as a slide show.
Can anyone help me further please.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)
DMP - 21 April 2017 5:49 AM
I have managed to get into the imaging process but when I drag and drop the files I get an error notice saying: Server Busy............The action cannot be completed because the pictures program is not responding. Choose 'Switch To' and correct the problem. When I hit 'Switch To' everything just freezes and I can only progress by closing Macrium down and starting again. I have tried it several times and keep getting the same outcome.
The files have been backed up OK because I can see them all and I have been able to open them and view them as a slide show.
Can anyone help me further please.

What is the imaging process you're referring to?  You shouldn't be performing any imaging if you're just mounting a backup file to drag and drop files from the mounted virtual hard drive (which represents the contents of the backup file) onto your regular system.  And I have no idea how the Pictures program factors into what you're doing.  That shouldn't be happening at all.  You should be following the instructions at the link to mount the backup file you want to restore from, then going to the new hard drive that will appear in My Computer, navigating to where the files you want to restore are located, then just doing a copy/paste from there onto wherever you want them to reside on your computer.  Don't have any other programs open while you do any of that.

Edited 21 April 2017 4:38 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...