Incremental Backup

Author
D W
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Macrium Reflect Log
Backup Aborted! - Error reading Image file

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)
Might help to post a bit more of the log than that as well as the summary of your definition file, viewed under the Backup Definition Files tab by clicking your definition file and looking at the window underneath the file list.

Edited 18 April 2017 5:16 PM by jphughan
D W
D W
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
I'm running Windows 10 Pro and McAfee LifeSafe virus protection.
I do not know which file is causing this problem.  The incremental backup has worked fine until April 17.
Macrium data:  

Macrium Reflect Log
Backup ID - B87C569C611DF07E

Backup Summary

Backup Definition File:C:\Users\Mark\Documents\Reflect\My Backup.xml
Auto Verify:N
Maximum File Size:Automatic
Compression:None
Password:N
NTFS Permissions:Y
Folder Reparse Points:Follow user reparse points, do not follow system reparse points
Backup set matching:Similar - Match on backups with at least one matching folder
Power Saving:N

Retention Rules
Rules will be applied to all matching backup sets in the destination folder
Full:Retain full backups for 10 Weeks
Linked incremental and differential backups will also be deleted
Backup Sets:1 sets found
Nothing to delete
Incremental:Retain incremental backups for 30 Days
The oldest incremental backups may be consolidated
Incremental Backups:9 found

Backup Aborted! - Error reading Image file

Macrium Reflect Home Edition v7.0.2117 - 

Edited 19 April 2017 12:50 PM by Nick
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)
I assume the file causing the problem is the previous backup on which Reflect is trying to build.  What is the destination of this backup, e.g. network share, external hard drive, etc?  Did your Windows 10 update to the Creators Update since the last time this worked?  Did you just update to Reflect V7 or anything like that?  And totally off-topic, but you might want to consider enabling compression.  Modern CPUs can do it fast enough that they likely wouldn't be the bottleneck even when dealing with fast SSDs, and as a result in addition to reducing your storage requirements, it will also probably reduce your backup time significantly because your drive will have less data to write. Even on the default Medium setting, the compression ratio is quite good.

Edited 18 April 2017 7:07 PM by jphughan
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi 

Thanks for posting. In addition to the comments made by @jphughan can you verify the existing backup set by following the instructions here:

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Verifying+image+and+backup+files

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

D W
D W
Thanks for all the comments.  I verified my incremental backups thru April 16 and also my last full backup on April 3.  All are verified 100% good.  I upgraded to Macrium 7 on April 4.  The last updated from Microsoft was MS Office on April 12.  I'm still looking to see what may have changed on April 17, but so far nothing.
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)
Group: Administrators
The "Error reading Image file"  message indicates that the backup set that the Incremental is being appended to failed to open. 

Can you confirm that this error is repeatable and not caused by a transient network or other error.  If it is repeatable then could you confirm that the most recent Incremental can be mounted and browsed in Windows Explorer? Thanks

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

D W
D W
I'm not an IT person.  My destination drive is a Mybook 3.0 via USB 3.0.  I formatted the Mybook drive, not the quicky format.  I ran the slow format process to erase all the files.  Then I did a new full backup and now my daily incremental backups are working fine, no errors and they verify.  I may never understand the problem and that is OK with me.  I just want it to work.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
DALLAS WEIR - 23 April 2017 8:55 PM
'm not an IT person.  My destination drive is a Mybook 3.0 via USB 3.0.  I formatted the Mybook drive, not the quicky format.  I ran the slow format process to erase all the files.  Then I did a new full backup and now my daily incremental backups are working fine, no errors and they verify.  I may never understand the problem and that is OK with me.  I just want it to work.

Great to hear! FYI though (since I actually AM an IT person), the slow format only checks each sector for readability. It does not overwrite data with garbage, just in case you've been relying on it in the past to securely erase disks. And if the issue was indeed data on bad sectors, you might have been able to use CHKDSK /R, which wouldn't have required reformatting the disk -- just in case it ever happens again! Smile
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search