Migrating CMC installation to new machine

Author
nadmax
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi All,

I would like to move my Macrium CMC installation to another computer, it is currently actively managing backups on my home network in terms of repository and policies. Is there any documentation on how to migrate your CMC instance to another machine? The objective of course being having to avoid recreating policies and 'break' the current configuration which is functioning perfectly.

Regards,

Nadil.
Alex
Alex
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (87 reputation)Macrium Representative (87 reputation)Macrium Representative (87 reputation)Macrium Representative (87 reputation)Macrium Representative (87 reputation)Macrium Representative (87 reputation)Macrium Representative (87 reputation)Macrium Representative (87 reputation)Macrium Representative (87 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi Nadil,

Unfortunately we don't have an article on migration between CMC servers, but the procedure is fairly simple - the CMC stores all configuration data in the c:\ProgramData\Macrium\CMC folder (or wherever %PROGRAMDATA% points to if the folder has been renamed).
  • Stop the "Macrium Remote Management Service" service on the old server
  • Copy all files in c:\ProgramData\Macrium\CMC to the network/a backup location
  • Install CMC on the new server 
  • Stop the "Macrium Remote Management Service" service on the new server
  • Copy all the files from the old server to c:\ProgramData\Macrium\CMC on the new server
  • Restart the "Macrium Remote Management Service" service on the new computer
After this is done, the new server should take over management of all the agents the old server had. It may be necessary to use the 'refresh' button in the computers view to transfer some over for the first time.
For reference, the files in c:\ProgramData\Macrium\CMC are as follows:
  • cert.pem, dh2048.pem, private.pem - HTTPS certificate files
  • definitions.xml, schedules.xml, plans.xml, queues.xml, repositories.bin - repository and scheduled backup configuration
  • events.db, events.db-shm, events.db-wal - CMC event log
  • LicenseKeys.xml - MAL license store file
  • managedcomputers.xml - managed computer configuration
  • userprofiles.xml - saved user preferences
  • serversettings.xml, wt_config.xml - server configuration
  • MessageState.db (and db-shm, db-wal) - temporary cache of agent data, nonessential
  • Assorted .log files - these are nonessential logs for support purposes
Note that this list may change in the future - if you're backing up or moving a CMC server it's best to copy all files over just in case.

Regards,
Alex
Macrium Software

nadmax
nadmax
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply - this is what I was looking for! I'll give it a shot and post back on the results.

Regards,

Nadil.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...