Image backup a bootable usb flash drive

Author
Danskeman
Talented Member
Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Is there anyway to image backup a usb flash drive with Macrium Reflect?

I can use utilities like imageusb but they image the whole flash drive when I am only using about 35% of the drive.

Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)
It's a shame that Reflect cannot do this operation itself... it's been requested many times.  Many other imaging softwares can do this operation.

I, personally, use Image For Windows (it's not FREE, it's my backup imaging solution for Reflect) which does the job very nicely, just the way you describe (active file structure only).

You can try some of the other FREE imaging solutions to see if they can do what you want... I suggest AOMEI Backupper.
Edited 17 April 2017 6:31 PM by Froggie
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)
Macrium staff said that the sector layout of most flash drives aren't compatible with Reflect's image file format and also that flash drives cannot use VSS, for what it's worth. They haven't said they're working on this feature, but as mentioned above, there are indeed other tools for this purpose if you have flash drives with configurations that would be fairly complicated to recreate. I imagine it certainly doesn't help that until the Creators Update, Windows only even showed and allowed you to manage the first partition on media classified as removable (most flash drives) rather than fixed (most hard drives), but even now with Creators, multi-partition support is still incomplete. Diskpart will allow you to create and list them as partitions, but won't list their volumes in the volume view, and Disk Management doesn't show extra partitions or volumes at all. Sigh....
Danskeman
Danskeman
Talented Member
Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)Talented Member (180 reputation)
I have devised a workaround for this it works because attached vhds look like fixed drives.

Create a vhd on an ntfs formatted usb flash drive
Attach vhd as a drive (sized to drive capacity)
Put all files in vhd as any drive
Backup vhd drive using Macrium as any other drive
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (9.2K reputation)
Danskeman - 22 April 2017 3:37 PM
have devised a workaround for this it works because attached vhds look like fixed drives.Create a vhd on an ntfs formatted usb flash driveAttach vhd as a drive (sized to drive capacity)Put all files in vhd as any driveBackup vhd drive using Macrium as any other drive

Ok, but your flash drive won't be bootable at that point if all of the files are in a VHD, unless everything you need to boot supports Boot from VHD. I thought that functionality was key for your flash drive and therefore your backup. If not, you'd have an easier time just doing a File and Folder backup of your flash drive. Restoring from that onto a new flash drive won't make it bootable again (unless it's GPT, FAT32, and you only need UEFI boot), but you'd be able to skip the VHD hurdle.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search