Cloning.

Author
lewblok
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am not able to do incremental backups after cloning my c drive.  Do I need to start over with a c drive image backup so I will be able to do incremental backups not on a schedule but when I have new data to backup?  Thanks for any replies.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
What exactly are you seeing when you try to do an Incremental? Did you actually save a definition file when you did the original clone? Typically you'd perform an incremental by calling that definition file with a schedule or manually right-clicking it in Reflect and selecting Incremental as the backup type. I'm not sure you can do an Incremental WITHOUT a definition file, but then again if you wanted to do them on any kind of a regular basis, I'm not sure why you wouldn't save the job as a definition file anyway.

It would also help if you could clarify whether you're doing a disk image (storing to a file) or a disk clone (making the target disk a copy of the source) since those are different operations and you're mentioning both above, seemingly interchangeably. Or when you say "after cloning my C drive" do you mean RESTORING your C drive?
Edited 15 April 2017 2:41 AM by jphughan
lewblok
lewblok
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
The clone was my first backup. Then trying to do an incremental on my backup file, all I get is clone on the run option. No choice for a full, differential, or incremental. I have two ssd 1 terabyte hard drives. One is c: the other is the destination drive. Not restoring just trying to do a backup files that have changed since the initial full (cloned) backup. That's why I think I need to delete the (cloned) first backup and do an imaged backup. That is my question? Thanks
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
lewblok - 15 April 2017 5:03 AM
he clone was my first backup. Then trying to do an incremental on my backup file, all I get is clone on the run option. No choice for a full, differential, or incremental. I have two ssd 1 terabyte hard drives. One is c: the other is the destination drive. Not restoring just trying to do a backup files that have changed since the initial full (cloned) backup. That's why I think I need to delete the (cloned) first backup and do an imaged backup. That is my question? Thanks

If you previously did a CLONE job so your target disk now has the same partitions, folders, files etc. as your source right there on the target disk (and anything that was on that destination disk prior to the clone was wiped), then there's no direct concept of specifying an Incremental -- BUT there is Rapid Delta Clone, which is the exact same concept and is enabled by default, so it should automatically be used the next time you run a clone from the same source to the same target. You'll know it worked if your next clone happens a whole lot faster than the first. Further reading: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Rapid+Delta+Clone+-+RDC?desktop=true¯oName=includeplus.

If on the other hand you did a disk IMAGE job that captured the source disk and saved it as a FILE (or series of files if necessary) at the specified destination, then as long as you opted to save the original job as a definition file when you did that, right-click it under the Backup Definition Files tab, go to Run Now, and select Incremental. If you didn't save a definition file, set up a new disk image job using the same settings you did before, then at the very end, uncheck the option to run the job now but KEEP the option to save the definition file. Then try what I mentioned above.
Edited 15 April 2017 5:41 AM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
To offer a bit more food for thought, the reason the Rapid Delta Clone option I mentioned above as "Incrementals for disk clones" isn't exactly a TRUE Incremental backup solution is because it's not maintained as a distinct backup from a previous Full, namely the initial clone. With an image file strategy where true Incrementals exist, you would be able to restore to EITHER the state from the original Full backup OR the state from any subsequent Incremental (or Differential) since they are all maintained as unique states in the backup set. With clone jobs, your target's contents are instead being overwritten/updated to reflect the current state of your source each time the clone runs, so even if only the changes are being propagated like an Incremental backup, UNLIKE an Incremental backup there's no way to roll back to an earlier backup that reflects an earlier state. On the other hand, if your source disk ever failed, a clone strategy would allow you to just switch over to that target disk (possibly needing to move it from an external enclosure to an internal connector) and keep right on going, without any need to restore from a file-based backup onto a new disk. That's especially helpful if you would want to use your current target disk as the replacement in such a scenario, since that wouldn't be easy with an image file strategy because you can't restore an image file backup onto the disk that has the image file. You would instead have to copy those files somewhere else temporarily to then restore them to your intended target. Then again, image files allow you to do things like encryption and compression in addition to maintaining historical backup states, neither of which is supported by clone jobs -- even when the source disk is encrypted! Except maybe if you did a sector by sector clone from Rescue Media, but let's not go there.

Bottom line: Make sure you understand the tradeoffs inherent to each strategy when deciding which you want to implement, because it sounds like you're fairly casually considering switching from disk cloning to disk image files, and they are NOT six of one and a half-dozen of the other.
Edited 15 April 2017 6:25 AM by jphughan
lewblok
lewblok
Thank you jphughan.  The RDC will accomplish exactly what I want to do.  I have 460 GB of data on my drives and I did not want to wait an hour to run another clone.  Will try and see if it will default to the RDC to get the job done in a shorter time than a clone.  Thanks again!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...