File/Folder Backups - Pick-list Navigation Tree

Author
jordanal
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,
I'm an avid user of Macrium for all my home computers.  One feature I miss in previous products is navigation-tree style listing of files and folders to chose from in the file/folder backup selection window.  I'd like to be able to right-click a given file or folder and in the pop-up menu, be able to include or exclude the file or folder with a menu selection.  Checkboxes next to each folder selection should auto-populate the selection of sub-files and sub-folders.
The current method of manually writing include/exclude masks really needs to be updated in a future version of Macrium; which I will surely buy/update, regardless.
Thanks again and keep up the great work.
Al J.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)
This was suggested I think in the V6 forum, and I agree.  It's especially surprising to see given that the RESTORE interface does use the exact UI you describe with checkboxes next to each folder. My guess is that implementing this on the backup job side would require some logic to derive folder include/exclude rules from whatever checkboxes were selected.  However, it's not impossible, because I remember when I used Backup Exec years ago it offered checkbox-style selection and also gave you a "Text View" that described those selections as a list.

Macarena
Macarena
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)
I second the suggestion. The current user interface is not at all convenient and you must go through a lot of complex acrobatics to select what to backup.
jordanal
jordanal
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
Can a forum admin please formally submit my suggestion in the OP to the Macrium developers/engineers, please?  This is still a sorely needed feature.

Many thanks,
Al Jordan​​​
dbminter
dbminter
Guru
Guru (1.1K reputation)Guru (1.1K reputation)Guru (1.1K reputation)Guru (1.1K reputation)Guru (1.1K reputation)Guru (1.1K reputation)Guru (1.1K reputation)Guru (1.1K reputation)Guru (1.1K reputation)
This would be a welcome change.  I, too, was an old Backup Exec user about 22 years ago and I liked it a lot.  To see Reflect's File And Folder backups go back to such a strategy would be easier, I'd think, than it's current implementation.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search