Disk Cloning - Fault - No diagnostics

Author
Terry
New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
A week or so ago, using Version 6, I cloned a disk successfully and without problem - Call it Clone 1

I the used that disk, and wanting to try out other software I tried to clone it again on to a "test" disk - Clone 2
I was prompted during this process to upgrade to Version 7 which I did.
Repeating the cloning using exactly the same procedure as before it failed. Shown in Red with nothing to indicate cause.
I the cleaned up the disk I was attempting to clone to (Clone 2) formatting NTFS.
Went back to original (with version 6 still in place) and successfully cloned to Clone 2.
I think there is something odd here. As I want to clone Clone 1, since it has a lot of extra work on it, how can I step back from version 7 to version 6
with confidence I won't upset anything please.

Seekforever
Seekforever
Expert
Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Is there anything in the log file?
Was the failure  when you used the Clone 1 disk to attempt to make Clone 2? If so, there may be an issue on the Clone 1 disk and I would run chkdsk /r on all the partitions on it; this will ensure there are no bad clusters. Use Disk Management to temporarily assign drive letters to those partitions without them.

IIRC, you can boot up the V6 rescue disk and try the clone with it - its, IIRC, because I've never done it but assume "Clone" is there.
You can make an image of the whole disk with V6 or 7 and restore it to desired disk -  clone isn't the only way to make a duplicate disk. 

BTW, formatting a partition is a waste of time. Formatting these days is nothing more than setting up a filesystem and it is all overwritten with the filesystem from the source disk either during cloning or restoring an image. However, if you do a Full Format, the disk will get a read-check of all the sectors and for large partitions this will take some time. The read-check obviously will give some confidence the disk is good but the formatting will be overwritten.

Edited 19 March 2017 4:13 PM by Seekforever
Terry
Terry
New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)
Thank for advice. But still have problems.

Ran chkdsk  /r as suggested. It took ages, but a cup of tea later all seemed well.

Used cloning process again. Results as Follows:
Version of Macrium Reflect: v7.0.2079

Result: Failed to create volume snapshot.
Result Code: 0x8004230c
Will try alternative ways.
Thanks
Terry

Seekforever
Seekforever
Expert
Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)Expert (679 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
It seems you have a Microsoft Volume Shadow Services (VSS) problem. The timing makes it appear like the installation of V7 perhaps has upset things. There is an article in the Macrium Reflect Knowledge base on troubleshooting VSS problems (I'd look it up but I'm short of time right now).

It will likely cause imaging to fail but the rescue CD does not use VSS and may well work.

EDIT:  Just saw this thread abourt VSS and V7:  http://forum.macrium.com/Topic11783.aspx
It specifies and older version so I don't know if it is still applicable but worth a try.
Edited 20 March 2017 12:34 PM by Seekforever
Terry
Terry
Thanks

Would like to understand what's happened and will need to read up on it when I get time.
Am getting round the problem by a complete disk re-build from the ground up so I know its all starting off cleanly.
I don't know whether the problem was the upgrade to V7. Although it looked suspicious, perhaps I was cloning an
underlying bug that only jumped out and bit with the new version. (Can't think of what could possibly act that way though).
Intend to build back up with progressive clones so I don't have to go back to the beginning if something fails: it's a time
consuming way of doing things but should give confidence.

Terry Bourne

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...